Balayage hair first became popular in the year 2014 and it has stayed since. It became a trend that changed everything about how wanted their hair to look like.
Balayage is originally a French word meaning ‘to paint’. It allows for a sun-kissed natural look, similar to what nature gives us as children.
When going for hair treatment, you should ensure that the pieces should be very close and soft at the root leading to a thicker highlight at the ends of the hair. The pieces should be applied on the surface of the section and not saturated through the section until the very tips, or else you would have a streak of color that is not very soft at all. If the right products are not applied and taken care of, or the hair has been rinsed off too quickly, balayage may not lift correctly and may appear orange.
It is very important when applying bleach that the person applying should know when to take it off, which usually depends on hair type and color. If your balayage looks patchy, that would be because of wrong application and placement. You should only go to a professional for balayage or watch loads of professional tutorials on youtube or any other source before trying at home.
If you are not happy with the balayage, you need not worry, it could be corrected which will involve color correction depending on the damage, which would involve various techniques including a root melt and blending the balayage or toning down and starting again. You should always go to a professional for consultation and opinion.
Important things you should know before going for Balayage hair
Balayage is a great and trendy hair technique but do you know everything you need to know before going for the treatment? Read on here, if you have planned to go for Balayage hair.
Getting a hair color is like getting a makeover, a complete different look, a new you. Therefore, it is always better to research a little before going for any hair colors.
Instagram and pinterest are everybody’s best friends. You will find everything you need, even more than you need on these social media platforms. When you look at the images, you get an idea what would look best on you, how much are you willing to cut off the tips, how much ‘dry’ you want to get colored, it is good to be very sure before going for any hair treatments.
Choose the right hairdresser
This is very important. A wrong hairdresser might just ruin your whole look and all of your excitement. You should always opt for an experienced hairdresser, who you can trust, and understand what your liking and what you want.
Again, Instagram is a great platform to find the right hairdresser.
It may not come out as you imagined it
Everything looks 10x better in our imaginations but the end results are not always so. It may even leave you a bit disappointed or frustrated. Often what you see in pictures may not look good on you, maybe because of skin tone, or face structure.
Some of the factors which can be challenging for your balayage:
- Your hair has been weakened by too much bleach.
- Your hair has been worn out by excessive use of blow dryer and curling iron.
- Your hair lacks care, is dry and frizzy.
- Your hair is already colored, and therefore the artificial pigments should be bleached out before going for Balayage.
- Your hair is thick and therefore has very strong pigments, so it needs to be bleached repeatedly.
Pre-treatment is very-very important. In order to get a good result, you need to think about the condition of your hair before going to the salon. Makeup artists often say it is not the makeup which is prettier, but the canvas it is put on. Therefore, the hair needs care before any treatment.
There are several things you can do to strengthen your hair and this extend the life of your Balayage:
- Haircut: Split ends must be cut off. The tips are the oldest and weakest part of the hair, which are very easily damaged by bleach; therefore they should be removed before any treatment.
- Olaplex: It can be used as a preparatory or restorative treatment. Olaplex can shorten the time period between each Balayage.
- Daily care: Healthy hair is a result of daily care. Keep your hair clean, nourished, and moisturized before going for Balayage.
- Do not wash hair daily: Some women wash down their hair daily which is not at all necessary. Washing your hair twice a week is enough as excessive washing snatches away all the moisture from your hair. Also, avoid washing your hair in hot water, always go for cold water.
Provide a really good hair care
In order for your hair to look best, you must invest in some good hair care products. If your hair is well taken care of, it can cope better with the bleach, and therefore the balayage will last long. If the cuticle of the hair is destroyed, and the hair is not taken care of, the color will quickly fade and the tips will break off.
Balayage hair vs Ombre hair
As discussed earlier, the word Balayage is French word with meaning ‘to paint’. When applying the color for a Balayage, you paint the color through small triangle sections of the hair onto a board or foil, giving it a natural transition down into the lighter color. The dark pieces are left on the bottom to create dimension and a more natural look. Balayage hair technique looks like natural sun-kissed highlights throughout the hair. Balayage is natural and is of less maintenance than ombre hair.
Ombre is also a French work meaning ‘shadow’. It is the actual style. It is the transition of a lighter shade from a darker shade. Ombre generally looks best on brunettes because it is the subtle of all techniques. This hair treatment is great for a daring girl, is definitely more noticeable and typically more maintenance. Ombre is a kind of color blocking, no dark pieces are left on bottom to help keep it natural, it is just a transition between colors. While the ombre results in a very beautiful look, it is something that has to be done right. A bad ombre can make all the difference, and it is strictly not advised to try at home. Ombre gone wrong can become a horror no one wants to face.
40 awesome Balayage hair color ideas
Nothing more helps to look fresh than the trend styles. The Balayage is deservedly considered the trend. These hair ideas won’t leave you uninspired.
1. Long Waves with warm Caramel balayage
Long hair, tumbling curls, and caramel highlights looks like a dream. This style is simply sophisticated and stylish.
2. Soft Cool-Toned ash Brown Balayage
Every hair color will work with a Balayage- it’s about finding the right hue to compliment your natural locks and the vibe you are going for. If you are going for a little more subdued and understated, go for an ashen brown to lighten up your look.
3. Ash Blond
Nothing can go wrong with platinum blond highlights. This hair color compliments ashy brown hair beautifully and give off a sun kissed hair vibe.
4. Shaggy Lob with partial balayage
Super fine highlights can create a look of beautiful subtle balayage. As your salon to paint luscious honey hues mostly around the face and a bit through the lengths, focusing on where the light naturally hits.
5. Black hair with Chocolate Brown balayage
Black hair might require some special attention. Bleaching could be damaging to your locks. Always keep your hair nourished with light weight oil, and you will have healthy and shiny waves. Also, it only takes a subtle lift with chocolaty highlights to make a statement.
6. Ombre inspired
Ombre hair is in style, but is gradually phasing out due to its severity. Go with a more natural Balayage ombre that will flatter your features without overpowering them.
7. Silver gray Balayage ombre hair
Silver hair is here to stay. This look is a contrast between two tones, but a skilled colorist will be able to blend both into each other.
8. Brown blonde Balayage ombre
This is the most relaxed look ever. In this particular look, the beach waves seem to melt towards the end.
9. Elegant and Soft Ash blond balayage
Balayage hair can be as dramatic as you want them to be. For a bolder look, go for contrast between dark roots and light ends.
10. Caramel balayage
If you prefer natural look of sun-faded locks, go for caramel and blond tones. These shades can give a new look to your hair.
11. Golden Blonde highlights
A mix of dark brown, light brown and golden brown shades can easily bring out the beauty. Concentrate on the lighter shades at the tips for a cool contrasting look.
12. Cool-tones blonde color melt
Balayage hair is not going out of spotlights any time soon, and it’s easy to see why. Ask your stylist to include, honey, creamy beige and platinum hues into the mix for a sublime, dimensional finish.
13. Copper and beige highlights
Use shades that suit your skin tone and blend high contrast colors through transitioning hues like caramel and copper.
14. Radiant light brown balayage
Blonde-brown is an excellent balayage combo. This texture feels easy and natural.
15. Subtle golden brown balayage
The mix of dark and light shades draw the eyes.
16. Brunette hair with very subtle highlights
The faintest highlights keep the hair from feeling flat and break up the dark brown colors.
17. Glossy caramel balayage hair
Glossy finish is always a sign of healthy and strong hair. It’s as simple as applying a lightweight oil or hair serum to get that glow in an instant.
18. Barely there blonde highlights
This is a mix of warm and cool tones, and just irresistible.
19. Light brown balayage
A light balayage is a stylish match to a brown base. The lighter ends almost create a sun-kissed appearance.
20. Subtle light
Sometimes the balayage hair should be subtle with just a pinch of color.
21. Balayage color streak fun
Don’t stick to one color that’s in trend, experiment with colors and your hair, you never know what may suit you best.
22. Copper and Golden Blonde Highlights
Balayage hair really pops out when you go for warm toned copper and gold highlights, they bring richness to your hair.
23. Blond to Silver
Gray hair has been trend since some time now. They give a classic look that is fun and showcases your outlook on life.
24. Two-tone hair with light layers
This type of balayage doesn’t suit everyone. Keep the face framing strands one or two shades lighter than your skin tone.
25. Well-blended cool-toned bronde
This balayage once done comes off as a fresh, cool, and not over the top.
26. Balayage highlights
If you have dark hair, request chocolate, auburn, or honey colored highlight.
27. Gourmet chocolate balyage
Mix your chocolaty locks with golden and caramel highlights for a chic hairstyle.
28. Dimensional waves and blonde balayage
This balayage gives off a carefree vibe and will suit your style.
29. Espresso with caramel blonde highlights
Ask your stylist for thin highlights above the midshaft and thick highlights below for this trendy balayage look.
30. Pearl blonde balayage
Can’t decide to go for lighter or darker shade? You need not worry, thanks to balayage, brown and platinum hair can coexist.
31. Milk chocolate balayage with blonde baby lights
The highlights melt together giving the hairstyle another new dimension.
32. Warm balayage
Shades of brown with blonde tips make for a gorgeous palette.
33. Beige Ombre
These highlights would work best for those who would like to lengthen a round face shape.
34. Black Lob with bronde and white highlights
Pick a balayage color palette that is high in contrast for a super bold look. You can go for platinum highlights against the near-black roots.
35. Dirty blonde balayage lob
Slightly lightening the tips and face framing strands gives enough of a look update.
36. Multi-Tonal wavy brown
This highlight gives a more neutral look if you aren’t sure to go for darker or lighter shades.
37. Soft blonde balayage
This gives a more feminine look that feels modern and cool.
38. Caramel beige ombre balayage
This highlight looks best on long hair.
39. Strawberry blonde balayage
Want to go red but not confident enough? Strawberry blonde balayage to your rescue.
40. Brown, ash blonde, and platinum blend
This combination gives a feeling of warmth and coolness at the same time.
Popular Balayage Hair Products
You can find the balayage hair products easily on the popular shopping websites. Some of the popular hair products:
- Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Balayage, Blondes
- Natural-looking, personalized highlights
- Includes expert brush for customized, painted-on highlights
- Who needs the salon when balayage is this easy at home?
- Framar Cling-Free Funked up Film, Saran Wrap for balayage with hair bleach
- 👌 HIGH QUALITY - Soft, pliable film that helps you give the perfect balayage for any hair type.
- 👩🎨 MADE FOR COLORISTS - Film is specifically made for colorists. For use with color blocking and balayage techniques. Perfect to protect each section of highlighted hair. A fantastic addition to any hair dye kit or highlighting kit.
- ⏳ ZERO CLING - No worrying about the film pieces sticking to each other, or to your hands. This film has no cling but still sticks to the hair. This saves you the annoying hassle that regular film gives you during busy moments with your clients.
- ♻️ ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Plastic wrap is 100% biodegradable. 300 feet in length.
- 🙅♀️ ZERO WASTE - Roll out and cut whatever length desired, eliminating any wasted film! Saves you money for your other cosmetology supplies!
- Wella Blondor Multi Blonde Powder Lightner, 28.2 Ounce
- Framar Maniac Mesh Sheets
- 💪 These Pre Cut Mesh sheets give strong, light lightweight support and hold when painting.
- ⏰ Color & lightener hugs the mesh strips, eliminating slippage!
- 👀 Transparent, allowing you to see your color processing. Fantastic for vivid coloring.
- 📏 6x11 inches in size. Easily folded, fantastic for spaced out highlighting.
- 🧼 Can be washed, dried and reused for a cost-efficient color process.100% disinfectant safe.
- ColorTrak Professional Hair Colorist Kit
- Perfect for starting Colorists
- All the best hair color tools in one kit
- Each kit includes (1) 4pk Croc Clips, (1) Color Beaker, (1) Color Whisk, (1) Duo Color Brush, (1) Assorted 3pk of Color Brushes,
- Each kit includes: (1) Pair of Black Reusable Gloves, Medium Size, (1) Hair Color Bowl, and (1) 50ct Popup Hair Coloring Foil
- Convenient acetate storage box
Balayage hair is the trend and will remain in the trend for years to come. Before going for any look, research well and experiment. But first, take care of your hair and just don’t treat them and not take care of them. Your hair breathes too so give it proper nourishment and air. And lastly, always go to a professional for balayage for a perfect experience.