With the advancement in technologies and the introduction of new ones, it is no wonder to expect new and wonderful things to happen around us. When it comes to the beauty and appearance of our hair, hardly anyone would compromise.
Nowadays people are even ready to spend lavishly on their hair because it is the one thing that undoubtedly defines one’s beauty. Root perm is also one of these techniques that have contributed to the absolute change in the texture of one’s hair.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Root Perm?
- 2 Popular Root Perm Products
- 3 How to do a Root Perm
- 4 Root perm on Different Hair
- 5 10 Popular Root Perm Hairstyles
- 6 Root Perm Kits
- 7 Maintaining the root perm
What is Root Perm?
Perm has been defined as the change in the hair shape of an individual thus giving their hair a new shape, mostly into waves and curls by the action of chemicals.
Root Perm is a process of hairstyling that provides volume and visible thickness to the roots of one’s hair. As a consequence of this, the hair appears bouncy and frizzy.
The process involves alteration of the hair shape into curls and waves through the involvement of chemicals and heat. This effect on the hair is said to last for a few weeks or months.
Popular Root Perm Products
How to do a Root Perm
Perm mainly requires two steps. The first step is a physical action and the second one chemical phase.
Root perm involves the addition of chemicals in the roots, making the strands appear wavy and bouncy. It is a process whereby there is an all-over change in the hair texture of a person.
The time required for a root perm is around two to two and a half hours. It can be undergone every three to six months.
The process of root perm involves a series of steps. Certain factors have to be taken into consideration before performing a root perm on any hair. The factors are as follows:
- Length of the hair: Length of one’s hair plays a significant role during the process. More the length of the hair, more time has to given to the chemicals to function and vice versa.
- Quality of the hair: Apart from length, quality of the hair has also an important role to play in the choice of the right kind of perm. The chemical solution used in the process can be classified into two kinds.
- Acidic perm: Acidic perm is ideal for thin, damaged and delicate hair. It consists of glycerol monothioglycolate with a pH of around 6.5 to 8.2.
- Alkaline perm: Alkaline perm must be used for coarse and strong hair. It consists of ammonium thioglycolate with a pH of 9 to 10.
Considering the presence of such chemicals, it is advisable to avoid skin contact with the solution.
Important things to be used during the process
- Rods: Rods are curling iron which are available in various sizes. The choice of the rod is absolutely at the owner’s discretion. It depends upon the size and the texture of the curls, which size of the rod has to be used.
- Solution: Solution is the chemical to be used for the perm. Apart from a hair salon, It is available for one to perform the process at home in the form of home kits. The chemical to be used depends on the quality of the hair and the pH of the solution.
- Neutralizer: Neutralizer is the second set of chemical which has to be applied after the completion of the process of the perm. It restores the pH of the hair.
- Acid Perm: Acid Perm produces more natural looking curls and gentle curls. However, it does not last for a long time.
Step by Step Process [10 Steps]
1. Let go of the tangles in the hair by combing it from bottom to top:
The hair needs to be combed and brushed evenly to release them and free them from tangles. This is important before the hair wash so that one can avoid brushing wet hair which leads to its weakening.
2. Wash it with shampoo:
Washing the hair with shampoo is done in order to eliminate the presence of any oil or dirt in the hair. A shampoo not consisting of too many chemicals must be preferred.
Thereafter, the hair must be rinsed and dried. Drying it naturally would be better than using a hair dryer. Slight brushing of the hair with a wide-toothed comb can be done.
3. Covering the skin in order to avoid skin damage:
A towel must be wrapped around the neck so as to not let the chemical cause any adverse effects on the skin. Now, put on the gloves and a plastic cape.
4. Partition of the hair:
The hair must now be divided into 3 or 4 equal sections depending upon the hair volume and length. The middle section must be narrower than the rod to be used. The top section must be divided half at the back of the crown. Each section must be pinned to a bun.
5. Managing the strands:
It’s time to make thin strands and fold an endpaper at the end of each strand. The excess paper, if left can be folded under the strand itself.
6. Wrapping in rods:
Each strand must be wrapped in a curling rod. The end of each strand must be wrapped around a rod. The choice of the size of the rod depends upon what kind of curls one wants. The larger the size of the rod, the looser will be the curl. The rod must be rolled downwards.
This process must be repeated with each section.
7. Applying the perm solution:
The perm solution has to be applied near the rods. Before applying the solution to the hair, a cotton towel can be used for the purpose of wrapping around the hairline, thus avoiding any harmful effects on the skin.
The solution must be applied near the roots of the hair which is around 2 to 4 inches near the scalp. This area has to be permed. The solution must be applied in a circular motion. The solution can be either alkaline or acidic.
- Alkaline solution or cold perm: This solution is made taking into consideration, coarse, resistant, fine Asian hair that has low elasticity.
- Acidic solution or hot perm: Acidic solution is ideal for fragile, tinted and damaged hair having high elasticity.
Leave the solution in the hair for about 5 to 8 minutes. During this time, each strand must be checked by removing the rods. In case the curls have not been achieved, the rods must be reinstated. The head can be covered using a shower cap.
Without taking off the rods from the hair, it should be rinsed with cold water for about 3 minutes. Thereafter, it must be dried.
10. Application of neutralizer:
After drying, the neutralizer, so prepared, has to be applied to the strands. After waiting for around 10 minutes, wash it and let it dry and remove the rods. The neutralizer helps restore the lost pH of the hair. It rebonds hair and reinstates its pH to a normal level.
Root perm on Different Hair
Hair quality and texture differ from person to person. While some may have extremely round curls, others may have extremely straight ones. Apart from the texture, length also differs to a great extent.
1. Root Perm long hair
Root perm for thick hair may cause problems while the implementation of rods while in the case of long hair, it is preferably to be done in the salon and not try home kits.
This is because the bifurcation of strands and wrapping around the rods in long hair requires effort and attention which can be a problem at home.
2. Root Perm for medium hair
Root perm for medium-length hair does not require a lot of effort. It is because splitting the hair into sections is easy. The process requires nominal time and effort for medium-length hair. For people with this sized hair, mid spiral Perm would look good.
3. Root Perm on short hair
Root perm for short-length hair is the easiest one. For this, home kits can be used. One can perform perm to oneself without much trouble. The ideal hairstyle for a short hair root perm must be chosen. This will give one’s hair a wavy appearance.
4. Spiral Root Perm
Spiral Root perm is for attaining the spiral form of curls. This requires a lot many rods to be fixed in the hair. The hair shape may appear like thin coiled curls.
However, it appears less natural. Long and thin curling rods are set vertically in the hair. This perm is ideal for hair with a length of at least eight inches long.
5. Root perm straight hair
To straighten, the perm solution must be applied to the curly hair. It must be, thereafter, brushed until it gets straightened. Once, the required shape has been attained, it should be rinsed.
During the process, the hair is doused in the solution which is meant for the purpose of straightening that breaks cystine bonds. The hair to be straightened is coated with plastic and is provided with heat before being rinsed with water.
6. Root Volume Perm
Root volume perm, as the name indicates, is done in order to attain voluminous and thick hair. The solution has to be applied near the roots in order to gain volume through the roots giving one’s hair a bouncy and fuller appearance.
7. Cold Root Perm
Cold Root perm is done without the application of heat and is, therefore, less damaging as compared to hot root perm. It gives vintage-looking curls to one.
10 Popular Root Perm Hairstyles
- Body wave: This hairstyle is said to provide volume to the hair. It is ideal for shoulder length hair and produces wavy curls which would last around 2 months.
- Voluminous perm: This produces a lot of volume and density to hair. It is ideal for people with oval-shaped faces and long hair.
- Spiral Perm: Spiral Perm is for attaining extremely curly hair, curls being spiral shaped.
- Bushy perm: Extreme volume is not preferred nowadays yet bushy perm gives a bold appearance to one.
- Super defined root perm: It produces volume in loads thus giving bouncy curls.
- Hot root perm: Hot root perm is performed using hearing and ceramic treatments. It produces curly tresses and is ideal for long hair.
- Cold Root: Cold Root looks fine on Bob cut hairstyle along with straight cut bangs.
- Mid-length diffused perm: This hairstyle produces open curls hence making the hair bouncier.
- Short wavy: This hairstyle is a myth breaker that states that perms can be received by long hair only. This gives its owner an endearing and adorable appearance.
- Mid spiral Perm: This is ideal for people with medium length hairstyle. Like spiral Perm, it produces spiral shaped curls.
Root Perm Kits
Root perm home kits are available in order to help people avoid the salon all the time and try DIY products. Not everyone has time enough to rush to the salon for getting their hair done.
Therefore, in order to make our work easier and comfortable, these home kits for hair perm are made available. Some of the well-known products for root perm are as follows:
Maintaining the root perm
Getting a root perm might feel easier than maintaining it. The precautions require a lot of effort and the hair requires a lot of attention and care.
- The hair must not be washed with shampoo until the following 48 hours after receiving the perm.
- A lot of moisturizing must be done in order to sustain the moisture presence in the hair. Hydrating shampoos and moisturizers must be used.
- It is advisable to wear a silk scarf to bed so as to avoid any sort of reshaping or damage.
- Hot perms require less maintenance as compared to cold perm.
- Curling or straightening must be avoided.
- The hair must not be brushed or combed hardly or very frequently especially in the beginning days after the perm.
- The hair must be left in its shape rather than wrapping it frequently in ponytail, braids or buns. This will lead to its loosing of shape.
- Getting frequent perms will result in hair damage.
- No alcohol products must be used for the hair in order to avoid frizz.
- Necessary tips and product recommendations must be taken from the stylist.
- The shampoo to be used must be sulfate free. One can use TIGI catwalk’s curls rock amplifier.
If the perm has not been done in a proper way, it will result in extreme hair loss and fragile hair. Therefore, one must make sure that the entire process has been performed carefully.
Through the introduction of the technique of perm, it has now become easy to get the kind of hair one likes. All one is required to do is spend some amount to get it done. Through root perm, one is acquainted with bouncy and voluminous hair.
It can serve as a hair treatment for people with limp and lesser hair. However, excess of anything may produce hazardous repercussions. The presence of chemicals in the solution leads to dry and fragile hair after a certain period of time. Thus, these chemical treatments must not be availed of too frequently.