Afro curls are in style for many years, but these days there is a next-level hype for afro curls. With the rise in beauty products, afro curls are more manageable and defined.
It is also easy to style it in many ways. Celebrities are flaunting their afro curls, and social media is full of inspiration. Afro curls are giving us the hair goals that we never thought we would have.
If you are thinking of getting an afro perm, then this article serves you the best. Here is a complete guide on Afro Perm.
What is Afro Perm?
Afro perm is a process of permanently converting hair into defined African style curls. It is a chemical process that involves the breakage of hair’s chemical bond, restructuring, and again rebuilding the chemical bonds.
The perming treatment uses a waving solution, neutralizer, and afro perm rods, available in a perm kit. The perm, though called permanent, lasts for 7 to 8 months. But if taken care of properly can last up to 1 year.
Afro perm gives bouncy volume to the hair, which is due to the very tight curl formation. Both naturally straight hair and curly hair can be afro permed. Whatever the hair type, an afro perm will give you well defined, voluminous curls.
Afro Perm for Men
Afro perm gives a unique style to men’s hairstyle also. The treatment process, perm solution, and time duration are the same as that for women. These days we can see an increase in the afro perm trend in Asian men.
Afro Perm vs Traditional Perm
Though afro perm is technically a type of traditional perm: it is not your typical 80’s perm.
The main difference between an afro perm and a traditional perm is the perm rods used and the after result. An afro perm uses small perm rods to give tight curls, and the hair turns out more voluminous and curly.
Products required to get Afro perm
Here are the products required for afro perming.
1. Brick red afro perm rods or fluffy curly stick
|84 Pieces Hair Perm Rods Hair Curling Rollers Perming Rods Curlers Cold Wave Rods for Hairdressing Styling Tools (Red,0.2 Inch)||Check Price On Amazon|
- Afro perm rods are the smallest among all other types.
- It gives tight curls
- Fluffy curl sticks are different than the perm rods but work perfectly.
2. Perm kit containing waving solution and neutralizer
- The waving solution and neutralizer chemically restructure the hair.
- Perm kits of some companies include perm rods, sectioning clips, and other essentials as well.
|Graham Beauty Salon Truewave Jumbo End Paper 1000 Pack - HC-26067||Check Price On Amazon|
- Endpaper holds the hair so that the hair doesn’t spill apart when using the perm rods
- As the name says, make sure that the endpaper is at the end of the hair while perming
4. Hair clips
It helps in sectioning and separating the hair
|Fagaci Hair Clips | 12 Hair Clips for Styling and Sectioning with Silicone Band | Professional Hair Clips for Women - Salon Hair Clips and DIY Accessories - Durable, Anti-Slip||Check Price On Amazon|
5. Wide toothed comb
6. Water spray bottle
|Spray Bottle for Hair, Suream 5.4oz/160ml Clear Continuous Mister for Curly Hair, Empty Plastic Refillable Houseplant Water Sprayer for Hair Styling, Flower Misting, Gardening, Ironing and Cleaning||Check Price On Amazon|
It helps in minimizing the irritation from the products.
To stop the solution from dropping
|DRESHOW 8 Pack Women's Headbands Headwraps Hair Bands Bows Hair Accessories||Check Price On Amazon|
9. Hair cap
|Diane Processing Caps, 100-pack Body Care / Beauty Care / Bodycare / BeautyCare||Check Price On Amazon|
Afro Perming Process
- Wash the hair with shampoo thoroughly.
- Then, part it into multiple small sections.
- Wrap the endpaper to sectioned hair and pull it toward the end.
- Roll the hair wrapped in an endpaper to the afro perm rod and clip it.
- Use a bandana to prevent the dribbling of the perm solution.
- Apply vaseline in the forehead and exposed skin area to reduce irritation.
- Next, apply a perm solution all over the hair and wrap the hair with a hair wrap.
- Leave it for about 1 hr. During this time, the perm solution penetrates deep into the hair strand and breaks the chemical bond to weaken the hair.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly with water and apply vaseline and bandana again.
- Apply neutralizer all over the hair and leave it for 20-30 minutes. Neutralizer will rebuild the Hairbond and restructure the hair.
- Finally, rinse the hair and leave it to dry.
Afro Perm After Care
- Permed hair should not be shampooed or oiled till two days after the treatment.
- Avoid styling your hair for the next two days. It will disturb the recently formed perms.
- Moisturize and condition the hair frequently.
- Consult with your hairstylist for the type of product to use. There is a range of good conditioners and moisturizers available on the market. Moisturizing will also make your perm last longer.
- Use a wide-toothed comb to prevent loss of the texture of perm.
- Avoid highlighting and coloring your hair for the next couple of months.
- Use a silk scarf to cover your hair before you go to sleep. It avoids the unnecessary tangling of the hair and prevents freeze.
Best Afro Perm Kits
Listed below are some best afro kits available in the market.
1. Ogilvie Precisely Right Perm kit: for normal or hard to wave hair
- Ogilvie Precisely Right perm kit is one of the best sellers in the market.
- It works perfectly for normal to wavy hair.
- It provides heat-activated conditioning, which gives a faster result.
- It prevents dryness and gives natural-looking curls.
- ( Ogilvie Precisely also has other perm kits suitable for various hair types)
Perm kit includes:
- Heat activator
- Waving solution
- Instant cream neutralizer
- Large endpapers
- New drip Guard
- step by step instruction guide
2. Iso option perm lotion
- Iso option perm has a wide range of options available.
- Iso option 1 is for normal and previously permed hair.
- Iso option 2 is for colored hair.
- Iso option 3 is to get extra firm curls.
- Iso option Exo is for long and resistant hair.
- It contains isoamine, which penetrates deep into the hair without lifting the cuticle.
- A sleek tint applicator brush comes with the kit for easy application.
- No need for conditioning, so this prevents the hampering of the perm by the conditioner.
Perm kit includes:
- Waving lotion
- Thermolizer solution
- Sleek tint applicator brush
3. Zotos Quantum Extra Body Acid Perm
- The Zotos Quantum perm gives resilient movement to the curls.
- Neutralizer contains argan oil, which gives healthy, shiny curls.
- A strong chemical odor is absent.
Perm kit includes
- Waving lotion
- Step to step guide
How long does an Afro Perm Last
The afro perm though a permanent treatment, lasts for roughly about 7 to 8 months. But if taken care of properly, you will rock your afro perm a couple of more months.
There is a range of factors that influence the longevity of a perm. Here are them listed below.
The natural texture of hair:
- A naturally wavy or curly hair tend to stick into a perm for a longer time.
- Straight hair usually holds them perms for a minimum of 6 to 7 months.
Moisturizing and conditioning:
- Permed hair needs good moisturizing and conditioning. Investing in a good moisturizer and conditioner prolongs the perm duration.
- A perm needs the same care as for natural curls. For this, include wide-toothed combs in daily routine. Avoid unnecessary styling and coloring treatment. Use silk-based rapping cloth before you go to bed.
- A well-cared perm lasts for a longer duration.
How to style a grown out perm
An outgrown perm is the main reason why a lot of people hesitate to get a perm. It gets people for obvious reasons, but every problem comes with a solution.
Here are some tips and tricks to style and embrace your outgrown perm.
Style your hair into a sleek bun or ponytail
- It will hide the outgrown part while still embracing your permed hair.
Use bobby pins
- When was the last time you used Bobby pins? It must have been a while ago, but bobby pins work like wonder to style your perms. ( you can get a lot of tutorials on youtube)
Braid it out
- Brading hides the outgrown part entirely while still giving a style to your hair.
Chop it off
- You can opt for a pixie cut for a drastic change in your look. Or grow your hair shoulder length to get a bob.
An afro perm sets your styling game. It is bold, different, and a confident look. But before committing to a perm, you may want to speak to a professional. It becomes essential as not every hair texture is the same, and not every perm solution suits all. A professional can better guide you to the products and treatments.
In the end, afro Perming is a great investment, which will surely solve all your hair styling concerns this season.