A lot of new style statements, fashion trends, and hidden fashion biz came into the light in the recent past. Along with all this, the rise of curly hair definitely stole the spot. With this, many of us, no matter what our current hairstyle, might be wanting to give it a try.
But getting curly hair is more than a hairstyle: it is a full-time commitment. Also, based on the method you choose to curl your hair: cost, time, products, result, maintenance differs accordingly.
Talking about the methods: we can opt from heat-styling to a more natural approach. This article mainly focuses on the possible natural methods to curl your hair permanently.
Table of Contents
5 Ways to make your hair naturally curly permanently
There is no hard and fast rule to curl your hair. We do what suits us the best. Also, the result from the methods given below may vary according to the present hair texture.
A naturally wavy or curly hair with curl potential will get better results than naturally straight hair.
Also, for naturally straight hair with no curl potential, the natural methods will not be suitable and, you might need to opt for a chemical curling method. So, keeping this in mind, one has to select the best-suited method.
Here are the methods listed below:
1. The Curly Girl method
The curly girl method by Lorraine Massey is one of the most popular methods out there. You can find a lot of people on the internet trying out this method and sharing their journey.
I termed it a journey because the curly girl method is not one-time hairstyling; but rather a lifestyle.
Also, though called a natural method, you need to use products approved by the CG method. It takes months to get curly hair by this method.
It helps you to get your maximum curl potential. But first, you need to know about the do’s and don’ts of this method before diving into the process.
- Do use CG-approved shampoos and conditioners that are free of sulfates and silicones or co-washes not more than once a week.
- Do use emollients such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea, grapeseed oil, and olive oil.
- Do use a microfiber towel or cotton towel. You could also opt for a cotton t-shirt.Do scrunch the products in the hair to encourage the curl pattern.
- Do condition your hair after shampooing.
- Don’t shampoo your hair frequently, and also, don’t use your regular shampoo containing silicon and sulfates.
- Don’t heat style your hair. It means no blow drying, curl ironing, flat ironing, or steaming.
- Don’t use any products containing silicon, sulfates, alcohol, waxes, mineral oils, and fragrance.
- Don’t towel dry your hair.
- Don’t comb or brush your hair.
- Don’t do any hair treatments like hair coloring, dyeing, bleaching, or highlighting.
CG approved products for making hair naturally curly:
|1||Shampoo||MOPTOP Gentle Shampoo|
|2||Conditioner||Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Butter Curl Defining Conditioner|
|3||Hair Gel||Aveda Confixor Liquid Gel|
|4||Co-Wash Product||peter namrongput As I Am Coconut Cowash|
|5||Cleanser||Devacurl No-Poo Original Cleanser|
- The first step is to remove the silicon and product build-up from your hair. For this, use a clarifying shampoo for the last time. You could use both sulfate-free or sulfate-containing clarifying shampoo.
- Now, cleanse your hair with a co-wash or a cleansing shampoo. Massage your hair gently with the product, and finally, rinse it.
- Apply conditioner to your hair. For this, take a good amount of the product in your hand and scrunch the product in the hair. Detangle the hair with a wide-toothed comb before rinsing the conditioner.
- Dry out the water from the hair using a microfiber or cotton towel. Use a scrunching motion to do this too.
- Finally, apply a CG-approved hair gel and let it air dry.
2. Old school method
Most of us are familiar with the old-school method of curling our hair. It is cheaper and doable. But, the only problem is that it lasts for hardly 2-3 days.
With time and product development, there are advancements in this method but, it still is not a one-time thing. So as the CG method, old-school techniques also require patience and time.
- Hair Roller
- Hair bands, socks
- Rubber band
- Mousse or hair gel
- First, wash your hair. For this, use sulfate and silicone-free shampoo.
- Now apply a good brand conditioner and rinse it. Also, make sure to detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb before you rinse it.
- After that, dry it with a cotton towel or t-shirt.
- Now curl your hair with your preferred method but make sure to use a mousse or hair gel. You could either use a hair roller, braid the hair or curl it using socks and hairbands. Also, it is preferred to do this at bedtime so that your hair gets an overnight period.
- The next morning, get loose of the items used and gently manage your hair. With this, you are ready with your curls.
- Use a sulfate and silicone-free shampoo or conditioner.
- Wash your hair less frequently.
- Perform the whole routine 2 to 3 times a week for sooner results.
- Avoid heat styling.
- Avoid hair treatments like dyeing, bleaching, and coloring during the time duration.
3. Use Eggs
The egg is a source of multiple nutrients: it includes many vitamins (vitamin A, E, D) and minerals. These make eggs a nutritionally rich food item. But the benefits of the egg do not end here: when used topically in hair, it produces wonderful results as well.
The lutein present in the egg improves the hair quality and luster. Also, at the same time, it enhances the hair’s natural curl texture.
Also, using eggs is one of the most natural ways to curl your hair permanently. They can either be used alone or with other natural ingredients as a hair mask. Here is the detailed information on them listed below.
1. Only Egg hair mask
- Take a bowl and add the required number of eggs to it. Also, depending upon your hair quality, you can either use only egg whites, egg yolks, or both.
- Now beat them thoroughly. For this, you can either use a regular spoon or an egg beater.
- Wash your hair with your shampoo and detangle it with a wide-toothed comb. This step is very important because we don’t want our curls to be frizzy and tangled.
- The next step is to part your hair into sections. After this, apply the eggs all over your hair. Focus mainly on the roots while doing this. Also, continuously scrunch your hair while you apply the egg.
- Once you complete, cover your hair with a shower cap and keep it for at least 20 minutes.
- Finally, wash your hair with a good shampoo and air dry it.
2. Egg and coconut oil hair mask
The multiple hair benefits of coconut oil make this mask even better.
- Take a bowl and add the required amount of egg to it.
- Beat the egg thoroughly.
- Now, add melted coconut oil and mix them.
- Finally, apply the mixture to your hair with continuous scrunching of the hair. But before this, detangle your hair properly.
- Use a shower cap to cover your hair and leave it for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Lastly, wash it with a proper shampoo and air dry it.
3. Egg, olive oil, and aloe vera hair mask
This mix is another banger egg hair mask that works wonders.
- In a bowl, add the required amount of egg.
- Beat it thoroughly.
- Now add aloe vera gel and olive oil to it. Aloe vera gel can either be homegrown or readily available gel from the market. Also, make sure to heat the olive oil 10 seconds beforehand.
- Finally, mix them all.
- Apply the mixture to your hair with continuous scrunching. Also, detangle your hair before applying the mixture.
- Once you finish, cover it with a shower cap and leave it for at least 45 minutes.
- Finally, wash it well with shampoo and air dry it.
Additional Tips to Manage Natural Curls
1. Get the right haircut
A haircut is not the solution to get curly hair. But it does appreciate your newly formed curls. It creates shapes to flaunt your curls better. The best hair cut for curly hair would be any form of layered hair cut.
2. Use Sea Salt spray
Sea salt spray, when used while styling, gives very gentle curls. It is due to the dehydrating effect of the sea salt. You could use this after you shower or on a mid-week styling.
- Firstly, wet your hair with water and wait till the excess water dries out.
- After that, gently detangle it with a wide-tooth comb.
- Section your hair into small parts and spray the sea salt spray on it. Mainly focus on the roots and the middle part of the hair. Also, thoroughly shake the spray before you use it.
- After you finish spraying, scrunch and twist your hair. The more you scrunch and twist, the more your hair gets curlier.
- Finally, dry your hair.
There are many natural methods to curl your hair, but almost all of them need a long time course. A one-time styling is never enough for this. Also, the present texture of the hair highly influences the result.
These listed methods are mainly suitable for naturally wavy and curl-type hair, as these have a curling tendency in them. The main motto of these methods is to re-define and restructure the curl in the hair.
Lastly, though natural methods are all over the internet, consulting with a professional is always a good idea.