One reason to love synthetic hair is its cost-effectiveness. We don’t have to spend as much as we would on human hair.
However, the downside to synthetic hair is that you cannot attempt some manners of styling on the hair, especially heat styling methods because the hair fiber might melt and burn.
But do you know that you can curl your synthetic hair?
There are several ways to achieve this, including using low setting heat for wigs that are heat resistant, hot water curling methods, or other no-heat methods.
We’ll be describing different ways you can get curls on your synthetic hair wig without damaging it. Shall we begin?
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Synthetic Hair Available Online
- 2 How To Curl Synthetic Hair Without Heat?
- 3 How To Curl Synthetic Hair with Heat?
- 4 How To Curl Synthetic Hair with Hot Water?
- 5 How To Know Which Method Works Best for Your Synthetic Hair?
- 6 Best Curly Synthetic Hair Available Online
Best Synthetic Hair Available Online
How To Curl Synthetic Hair Without Heat?
Many synthetic wigs out there are not heat resistant, which means that they cannot stand exposure to heat styling equipment, most of which are necessary for curling your wig.
But that doesn’t mean your synthetic wig cannot be curled. Below are a few methods that can work effectively to curl synthetic hair without heat, and you can do it yourself with only a few steps.
- Using Bendy Rollers
- Using Headband Wrap
- Using Doughnut Bun Wrap
- Plaiting/ Braiding hair
How To Curl Synthetic Hair using Bendy Rollers?
Bendy rollers offer you an easy way to create loose or tight curls on your synthetic wigs because they come in different sizes.
Most of these rollers are affordable and great for curling your wig. Large rollers can give your wig the voluminous look you might desire, while smaller rollers give you tighter curls
Step by Step Process
- Dampen your synthetic wig slightly with water
- Take a section of your wig, probably one centimeter thick and one inch wide. (If you want well-defined curls, cut your hair in smaller sections)
- Take a bendy roller, wrap your hair around the middle, and then roll the bendy roller towards the scalp. Fold both ends of the bendy roller towards each other to secure the curls in place.
- Carry out this step for every strand of hair you measure until you have the entire wig wrapped around your bendy rollers.
- Allow the curls to dry and set into place for a few hours.
- Unroll the bendy rollers gently and unwrap the hair beginning at the bottom and going on to the top.
- Once you’re done unwrapping, you have a wig of beautiful heatless curls.
- You can apply hairspray to hold the curls in place for longer if that’s what you want.
If you’re not careful with the process of removing the bendy rollers, you might scatter the hair.
How To Curl Synthetic Hair Using Headband Wrap?
A headband wrap is also another great heatless option for curling your synthetic wig. However, you need to use a wrap that goes around your head and is comfortable enough to not make the wig uncomfortable or bunched up.
- Water in a spray bottle
|Dreamlover Wig Grip Headbands for Women, Wig Bands No Slip for Wigs, Tan, 2 Pack||Check Price On Amazon|
Step by Step Process
- Dampen your wig slightly and place it in the parting you desire.
- Place the headband over your wig with the top of the headband sitting on the spot where your hairline and forehead meet, and the bottom sitting at the nape of your neck.
- Take a section of your hair (one inch wide) from the front of your wig and wrap it around the headband. Add in another section of hair and wrap it around the headband each time. Continue until all sections of hair are wrapped around the headband.
- Allow your hair to dry for about three hours and take it out from around the headband gently. Do this by pulling the headband away from the wig and then unwrapping the hair.
- Your curls are all set!
Ensure that the headband is the right size and made of the perfect material to avoid the feeling of discomfort when you use it.
How To Curl Synthetic Hair Using Doughnut Bun Hair Wrap?
If you have a long wig that you can pack up in a ponytail, a doughnut bun wrap is a good option to give you beautiful curls without the presence of heat. A smaller doughnut will give you tighter curls, and a larger doughnut will give you voluminous curls.
Step by Step Process
- The first step is to pull your wig up in a high ponytail and use an elastic band to secure it. Don’t tighten the band too much because it could mess things up when you want to take out the ponytail.
- Dampen the ponytail slightly with water.
- Pull out the ponytail from the hole of the doughnut until the doughnut sits on top of the elastic band used to hold your hair in a ponytail.
- Begin wrapping the ponytail around the doughnut, in a similar manner as the headband wrap method described above. Do this until all your hair is wrapped in the doughnut. Remember that tighter wraps will amount to more defined curls.
- You can choose to add another elastic band over the doughnut after wrapping all your hair away. You can also use hair grips to hold the hair and the doughnut together firmly.
- Leave your hair to dry for a couple of hours, and then unwrap the hair from the hair doughnut. Then, proceed to remove the ponytail and let the hair fall.
- Your heatless gorgeous curls are ready to be worn.
Be careful when using the elastic band because it can mess with the fibers of your synthetic wig if it is too tight.
Plaiting/ Braiding hair
You can roll achieve curls on your synthetic wig by simply plaiting or braiding your hair, with little or no extra cost. This is another way to get temporary curls that will look good on your wig.
Step by Step Process
- Dampen your wig sufficiently.
- Consider the type of curl you want to create and section your hair with an elastic band based on that. You’ll need thicker sections for loose curls and smaller hair sections for tighter curls.
- Plait your hair in whatever style you choose, whether a French twist, classic plait, Dutch braid, fishtail braid, etc.
- Leave the wig in this style for several hours to let the wig dry and allow the curls to set in.
- When the wig dries completely, take out the elastic bands and undo each plait carefully.
- Enjoy your curls!
You need to take utmost care when unbraiding, because the curls are temporary, and could disappear in no time.
How To Curl Synthetic Hair with Heat?
While some synthetic wigs cannot stand any form of heat, some others are heat resistant and can be exposed to a certain level of heat.
If you have one of such synthetic wigs, then you are free to create curls using heat styling equipment, although you must still watch out for excessive heat.
Below are some of the methods to curl synthetic hair with heat.
- Using Curling Iron
- Using Hair Rollers
- Using Steam
How To Curl Synthetic Hair Using Curling Iron?
There is no better heat curler than a curling iron that creates the perfect curls on your wig in a seamless manner. A curling iron can create tight or loose curls depending on how you use it on your synthetic wig.
Step by Step Process
Dampen the hair with a spray bottle full of water until it is dripping wet.
Heat the curling iron on the lowest setting then open the curling iron and spray the two heating elements with water. Listen to it sizzle as it cools down those heated surfaces. You can also place the curling iron on a damp towel to keep it cool.
Wrap the wig hair around the curling iron, holding it down for about 7 seconds before letting go.
Cup your hands and hold the curls in them to further tighten them before releasing them gently.
Hold your synthetic wages in place with the aid of duckbill clips. Hold the curl down to the base while allowing the curls to dry and set. If you want looser waves, you don’t need to use a clip.
You can roll your curls on a plastic roller and pin them up to maintain the curls.
Work at it with speed, and continue to dampen the wig. If the wig is dry or the curling iron gets too hot, it might burn the hair fiber.
How To Curl Synthetic Hair Using Hair Rollers?
The standard hair rollers alongside some heat drying also offer you a simple way to curl up your heat-resistant synthetic wig with longer-lasting results.
Step by Step Process
- Dampen your synthetic wig with water from a spray bottle and comb through to remove tangles from the wig.
- Divide the hair into small sections and spray each section with a hair spritz or setting lotion.
- Roll each section of the hair into a roller. Continue these steps until you have rolled all of your hair.
- Turn on your hairdryer and place it in the lowest heat setting. Place your synthetic hair under the hairdryer for approximately 45 minutes or until you see that the hair is completely dry. If the dryer you own is handheld, then hold it about 6 inches away from your hair.
- When the hair is dry, remove the rollers and style your hair with your fingers or a wide-toothed comb.
Avoid using a small toothed comb to style your hair because it would destroy all the curls. Also, avoid placing a handheld dryer directly to your synthetic wig because excessive and direct heat can melt or burn it.
How To Curl Synthetic Hair Using Steam?
Steam curling is also an option for synthetic wigs that are not highly heat resistant but can do with some level of heat. It will not harm your wig like heat styling tools, but it will use some heat to get the wig in shape
Step by Step Process
First, apply a heat-resistant spray to your synthetic wig to zero out any chances of heat damage to your wig.
Divide the hair into sections, just as you would when working with a curling iron.
Begin putting rollers into the sections of your hair to create natural curls in the synthetic wig. Then, secure all the rollers with pins to hold them in place before moving to steam.
Get your wig steamer and use it to steam the hair, thereby strengthening the curls for them to stay strong for a long time.
While this method is largely safe, there’s no telling how your synthetic wig might react to the steaming, so watch closely.
How To Curl Synthetic Hair with Hot Water?
Now that we have sampled nearly everything available to you to curl your synthetic wig, we’ll take it a little further with hot water and how it can curl your wig beautifully. Please note that your wig will have to be certified heat resistant to go through this.
- Hot water
- Rollers or perm rods
|100pcs Perm Rods Set for Natural Hair 5 Sizes Cold Wave Rods Hair Rollers for Women Hair Curling Rods for Long Medium Small Hair Curler Styling DIY Hairdressing Tools（Orange+Purple+Gray+Blue+Yellow）||Check Price On Amazon|
Step By Step Process
Put some sections of your wig into rollers or perm rods.
Fill a bowl or mug with hot water up to 3/4.
Submerge the rollers or perm into the container of hot water. Keep the hair in the water for about 30 seconds before removing one perm rod from the other and placing another one.
Replace the hot water when it starts to cool and continue with the immersion process until all the rollers or perm rods have been soaked.
Allow your synthetic wig to sit for a while and dry, after which you can take off the rollers or perm rods.
If you want tighter curls, you might have to consider using bobby pins and not steam rods.
Alternatively, some persons would pour hot water over the wig, and not immerse them in hot water.
Any form of carelessness might lead to you burning your hand or body. It is important to handle hot water curling better for the best of style inspirations.
How To Know Which Method Works Best for Your Synthetic Hair?
Although the synthetic material is available everywhere and is being used by women of all colors, no two synthetic wigs are the same. These differences can also determine the curling method that’s good for your wig.
The method used for curling depends on the type of synthetic wig hair you have.
For instance, if your synthetic wig has a heat-resistant tag, then all the methods involving heat, including curling iron, hot water, and flat iron. Using a straightener or curling iron is perfect for heat-resistant synthetic wigs because they were designed with heat in mind.
On the other hand, if your synthetic wig doesn’t have heat resistance, then curling methods that work effectively are those without exposure to heat, including plaits, headbands, and bendy rollers
Best Curly Synthetic Hair Available Online
If you are looking for readily available curly synthetic hair, then, we suggest you check the below listed options:
Synthetic wigs are a great addition to our wig and extension list. If you’ve gone through this post, then you have all the necessary information to choose which method is best to curl your synthetic wig based on several factors!