How Long do Perms last?
On an average, The Perms last for about 3 to 6 months.
The life of perms depends on factors like length of hair, hair volume, thickness, and hair quality.
Another important that decides the life of perms is the type of perms you are going for. For instance, perms can be in a spiral, straight, or digital form. These are some most common types of perms.
1. Straight perms
Straight perms last up to 6 months based on hair thickness and aftercare. You must go for straight perms at a salon or by a professional as the process is a little complicated.
This is one type of perm that you can try at home too with the support of a professional perming solution kit.
2. Spiral perms
Spiral perms last up to 6 months too provided you have given your hair proper nourishment and aftercare.
For instance, choosing the right hair care product, conditioner, and shampoo is essential. Ask your hair expert to suggest a few as per your hair type. A salon visit is necessary for spiral perms.
3. Digital perms
Digital perms last up to one year with proper maintenance and care. However, be careful of choosing digital perm as the process involves high heat that can make the hair weak and brittle.
You may also be asked to leave the hair untied for at least a month to maintain the perms for longer. Digital perms have to be done by a professional only.
If you wish your perms to stay longer, you must follow certain precautions. Also, you can enjoy healthy perms for a long if you have done it at a salon or by a professional expert at home.
We also advise you to take a break of 2 weeks before you introduce your hair to any other treatment after perming regardless of the type of perms you have chosen. Also, avoid bleach, colors, and dyes on your hair until the perms settle for at least 2 weeks.
How can you make perms last longer?
Not following proper aftercare tips and instructions may put you in trouble for your hair. Your hair may become frizzy, brittle, dry, and dull. In some cases, it could be reversible damage too.
If you want your curls or perms to last longer, you need to follow some aftercare tips sincerely.
Here are a few recommended tips to make perms last long:
- Trim your hair regularly: Hair growth stops the growth of curls in your hair. You must get your hair trimmed every 3 months for a perfect perm for a long time.
- Avoid frequent hair washes: Frequent hair washing can break down your perms by reducing the natural oils on hair and scalp that are needed for curls to stay longer.
- Think often about deep conditioning: The usual conditioner will not help your perms to get the nourishment they deserve. You need something with extra moisture and oils. Go for deep conditioning once or twice a week.
- Improve your sleeping habits: You may have to wrap your hair with a silk scarf or use a smooth pillowcase to keep hair free from knots and tangles. Your perms need to be frizz-free. It will help your perms to stay with you longer than you expected.
- Choose protein treatments: Your hair may lose proteins during and after the perm process. Choosing protein treatments with a combination of egg and yogurt or coconut milk and avocado will help.
- Stay away from harsh chemicals and chemical treatments: We don’t have to discuss this in detail, do we? We know that harsh chemicals can not only destroy the perms but also prove to be bad for your hair.
- Switch to a perm-friendly hairbrush: Switch to a wide-toothed comb on wet hair and a soft paddle brush on dry hair for knot-free perms.