Who doesn’t love the evergreen black? Before any of the tangy colors existed, our only companion in terms of hair dyes was black hair dye! There are no shades better than black, other than shades which are blacker!
Sadly, not everyone is gifted with jet black hair. What do they do to get the exotic look? They can either DIY or go to a good salon. Dyeing your hair black is pretty simple so I would suggest that you do it at home and save yourself from expensive trips to the hairdressers’. There are some of the best black hair dyes available in the market. Do not worry; we have got our eyes on them all.
Having second thoughts if the black hair dye will suit your skin tone? Don’t worry; we have listed down products for every human out there who wishes to get their hair dyed black. From permanent, to temporary to touch ups, we have everything on the list.
Best Black Hair Dye – Editor’s Pick
- SUPERIOR PREFERENCE PERMANENT HAIR DYE Kit: For gorgeous, fade-defying hair color with dimension, look no further. We pair our gel hair dye formula with Care Supreme Conditioner with Shine Serum to help maintain color vibrancy and provide silk & shine.
- FADE-DEFYING HAIR COLOR: Superior Preference hair color kits have been our gold standard in hair dyes since 1973. There are over 50 shades to choose from, so you can find the perfect shade for you, from luminous red to cool ash blond, to deepest black.
- L'OREAL PERMANENT HAIR COLOR: L'Oreal Paris Hair Color comes in multiple formulations and styles to deliver long-lasting color, from fade-defying Superior Preference, to bold, stylish Feria, and gray-coverage from Excellence Crème.
- LONG LASTING HAIR COLOR: Get beautiful color from L'Oréal Paris hair color; permanent, semi-permanent, temporary hair color, & root cover up. Cover gray hair, highlight, go bold with bright color, or even try an ombre hair color.
- L'OREAL PARIS INNOVATION: We are a total beauty care company that combines the latest in technology with the highest in quality for the ultimate in hair color, hair care, hair style, skin care & cosmetics.
If you directly skipped to this section then I assume you don’t have time to go through all the products. We have the best choice right here for you – Our pick out of all the given products would be L’Oreal Paris Superior Best Black hair dye if you are looking for a dye which has got the least number of side effects and gives the best results for a very long time.
The reason we chose this product is that it comes with a whole kit, which makes the dyeing task at home easier. Second, it doesn’t fade and can be used with highlighted hair without causing any fuss. This one has the least amount of chemicals and also hides the grays perfectly. Overall, this product is for the win. We have linked the product for your comfort:
Top 12 best black hair dyes [Review]
1. L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Fade-Defying + Shine Permanent Hair Color, 2BL Black Sapphire
L’Oreal Paris Black Hair Dye Color comes in a lot of formulations and styles to give long lasting, bold and fade defying and gray coverage overall experience. It is a all for one and one for all package.
Black hair dye brought to you by L’Oreal is a game changer dye in the market right now. From problems like graying to weak hair follicles, it solves all your issues in just one packet.
It also helps in maintaining color vibrancy with its hair gel formula and color protection serum. We can say it gives a color-tastic shine to your hair!
- Permanent hair color
- It is fade-defying
- Long lasting dye
- Comes with the whole kit
2. Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Permanent Hair Color Cream, 1.1 Midnight Black (Packaging May Vary)
This black hair dye has is especially for people suffering from grays. It covers up to 80 percent gray hair and reduces the hair breakage by 80 percent. The color intensity lasts extra long.
The new black hair dye introduced by Schwarzkopf provides enhanced version of coloring for your hair and leaves your hair looking stronger and shinier. The new anti-breakage technology and the keratin formula make sure that you get the most satisfying dye experience.
- Less odour
- K-bond plex helps in repairing hair follicles
- Even colouring from roots to the tips
- The colour lasts for a long time.
3. Garnier Hair Color Nutrisse Nourishing Creme, 20 Soft Black (Black Tea)
Packed with the goodness of three oils – Olive oil, Avocado and shea, this black hair dye by Garnier is best suited for light brown, brown and black hair. It covers up most of the grays. Filled with pure pigments, they have a non drip crème formula for a hassle free experience.
What’s better than a dye which provides nutrition, hides your grays and give the best color? The new Garnier black hair dye has it all. It contains grapeseed ampoule oil which instantly gives your roots a new life. The full kit includes a crème developer, colour cream, conditioner, oil ampoule and gloves and make sure you have a tension free coloring experience.
- Permanent hair dye
- Non drip formula
- Enriched with natural ingredients
- 100 percent gray coverage
- No breakage of hair
4. Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color, Permanent Hair Dye with Keratin, 100% Gray Coverage, Ammonia Free, 10 Black
Permanent-black-dye-at home, this one is boosted with keratin and special silk amino acids to give healthier and glossier hair. It can be used on all types of hair textures – be it curly, straight or wavy. Covers upto 100 percent grays and provides long lasting shine.
The Revlon 3D color technology black hair dye is a one stop solution to all your grey hair problems. Blended with polymers, hair colors and conditioners, this multi-purpose dye solves breakage, gives dimension and provides with definition. Shop for it and get best hair-dyeing experience from the roots to the tips.
- It is free of ammonia
- Restores the shine and health of the strands
- 100 percent gray coverage.
- Keratin strengthens the hair
- Revlon 3D gel technology
5. Just 5 Women’s 5 Minute Permanent Hair Color, Jet Black
Made entirely with non-harsh chemicals, this black hair dye is for all the straight haired people out there. It has the ability to cover up the gray hair and contains the richness of 5 conditioners to revitalize your hair completely.
Getting late for the meeting but the grays are showing? Say bye to your graying worries with this black hair dye which provides instant gloss to your hair in just 5 minute. The grays become so invisible that it’s is impossible to tell if they were any before!
The special formula lets you shampoo your hair many times without fading. This dye can last upto 6 weeks.
- Long lasting color formula
- Protects hair from dryness
- Gets your strands relaxed
6. SoftSheen-Carson Dark and Lovely Fade Resist Rich Conditioning Color, Jet Black 371
Designed to especially protect your natural hair color with three oils – shea, avocado and olive, it is for all kinds of hair. It almost hides the grays and gives you a non fading, glossy experience altogether. It even has inbuilt conditioner for moisturizing your hair.
No more fussing over missing your hair color appointment now that you have The black hair dye presented by Softsheen-carson. The non hair drip formula and Long lasting color promises make it a good buy. With the color lasting for around 8 weeks, it also provides nourishment to the roots and adds extra shine to your locks.
- Comes with Conditioner formula
- It is fade resistant
- Permanent hair colors
- Made from natural oils
7. Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye
This semi-permanent black hair dye leaves no deposit and easily fades into the color spectrum of your hair. It comes with super – conditioning hair color and gives best results on pre-highlighted hair.
Are you having dreams at night that your gray hair is black again? Make those dreams come true with Arctic fox vegan Transylvania black hair dye in just 3 simple steps. Along with restoring vibrancy, it also conditions hair and smears less. It is the all-in-one solution to all your hair dye problems.
- No animal by-products
- No ammonia
- Free of peroxide
- Gives out a very sweet scent.
8. Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color 59 Oriental Black 1 ea
No matter what your hair type is – be it, consistency, condition, length or style, Bigen black hair dye works for all. It does not contain the ammonia and peroxide is not needed.
Claimed as number one selling black hair dye, it ensures that all your visible gray hairs are vanished and you get your glossy hair back. Lasts upto weeks and nourishes the hair cuticles from inside.
- No deposits
- Permanent hair coloring
- 100% gray coverage to enhance the natural hair color
- Free of ammonia
9. Clairol Nice’n Easy Permanent Hair Color
Comes with complementary highlights and lowlights, this black hair dye is easily applicable to all hair types and hair colors. It creates 3 tones in only one step using it’s unique color blend technology.
Biding adieu to your hair dye problems is now easy with Clairol’s best black hair dye. It gives permanent air colors which can last upto 8 weeks and is odor less. Getting a natural color look is now easy with this wonderful dye which comes packed with activator, formula, conditioner and extra gloves.
- It is Gentle on hair and scalp
- Non-drip formula
- 3 tones and highlights
- Superior looking natural hair color
10. Greyfree Instant Hair Color Touch Up, Black
The instant touch up formula rids of the whole process of hair dyeing and gives you results in just a few minutes. The black hair dye is germ free and can be used by anyone and everyone.
Ready to welcome grey free hair days? Get pumped because the new instant best black hair dye is in town! The germ free product makes sure that your hair restores the shine and helps touching up in emergencies. It is best suited for men and women who are always in a hurry to dye their hair.
- Free of ammonia
- Easy to apply
- All hair textures can use it
- Jet black color
11. Everpro Gray Away Root Touchup Quick Stick
The convenient stick for touching up the roots is all you need as your Best black hair dye! It has a sponge attached to give your precise application wherever you need it. It is suitable for all hair types.
No need to go to the Salon for trivial things like tinting eyebrows or touching up roots as the new solution is now here. The quick touch-up stick makes sure keep your roots covered and gives instant results! It has unique powder-application technology lets you touch up whenever and wherever.
- Neatly blends into the base color
- Precise application
- Powder application for easy application
12. Roux Fanci-Full Rinse, 12 Black Rage
Generally used for blending away the grays in a short period of time on a temporary basis, it can be used by anyone. No harsh chemicals have been used in its making.
This black hair dye comes like a rage and leaves your hair asking for more. This instant blender is a go-to product for temporary black hair dye options. You won’t regret buying it once you see how glossy it makes your locks.
- Conditions hair
- Easy to manage the hair afterwards
- Adds extra shine to the hair
Buyer Guide to select the Best Black Hair Dye
Although, black is everyone’s favorite these days, there are a few things to keep in mind before you begin your hair dyeing journey:
- Think twice before choosing black if you have a very fair skin and light colored eyes. Though, it doesn’t look bad, it can be quite contrasting to have your hair dyed black over that skin tone.
- Nourishing your hair just after you apply dye is very essential for your hair to remain healthy. Look for dyes which have oils in them so that your locks stay moisturized and fresh.
- Always look for ammonia free black hair dyes when choosing a black dye as it poses less damage to your locks than the one with ammonia.
- It’s best to buy a quick or instant hair dye if you don’t want to invest your time in coloring and hiding your grays every other week.
- The main purpose of dyeing is to remove the grays from showing, and the black hair dye which fulfills that criterion should be among the best buys.
- Prioritize products which promote no usage of hydrogen peroxide as that chemical rips your scalp of important minerals and makes it dry and undernourished.
- A final tip for people who are using the dye for the first time would to not wash your hair before you apply the dye so that the sebum provides protection against the damage. Make sure your scalp is devoid of any dust.
No matter whatever best black hair dye you choose, make sure it gets the job done without posing harm to the hair cuticles much. Honestly, coloring your hair black is way better in terms of hair coloring. It doesn’t put stress on the strands like bleaching. It just adds an extra pigment on the hair which can be washed easily. Jet-black hair looks awesome on darker skin tones. Try cooler undertones of black if you are fair-skinned.