Hair colors are common among young girls and grown-up women these days. The majority of women desire to color or highlight their hair with their favorite shades. But, there are various side effects of getting a hair color done in hair due to which women are scared to apply the same.
Here is some good news, semi-permanent hair color has finally come to your rescue with little or no damage to your hair. Read on to know what you need to know regarding temporary hair color.
What is semi permanent hair color?
Semi-permanent hair color, also known as hair gloss is a method of applying hair color to add shine to your hair. It is a method to change and refresh the tone of your hair in a lovely way.
Many people believe that coloring your hair tends to lighten or darken the color of your natural hair. Well, it is nothing but a myth. Hair colors do not lighten or darken your natural hair instead it provides you with glossy and lustrous hair.
The only difference that lies between a semi and a permanent hair color is the fact that no need to use a developer or activator in the semi-permanent hair color process. Furthermore, this process does not change your hair color permanently and lasts up to 8 shampoos.
How does semi-permanent hair color work?
The best semi permanent hair color product contains large and tiny color particles that adhere to the outer parts of your hair.
Among all particles, some manage to penetrate the cuticle layer of your hair while the maximum adheres to the outer portion of your hair depending on the porosity of your hair.
Gradually, the color fades away after each wash and shampoo session and lasts ultimately up to a healthy 4 to 8 months.
Semi-permanent hair color for natural hair does not need to blend with a developer or activator but make sure to mix them thoroughly throughout your hair. This process is the real key to the endurance of your hair color.
How long does semi permanent hair color last?
Semi-permanent or temporary hair color does not last for a long time. The semi-permanent process is a natural process. It does not involve a mixture of chemical and synthetic products. Usually, a temporary hair color lasts up to six months.
Moreover, if you want, you can remove it earlier by using semi-permanent hair color remover. The color fades away gradually out of time. That is why you must re-apply the hair color from time to time. That way, this hair color procedure can be quite damaging to your hair as it requires frequent application of hair color products and accessories.
If you want to know how to fade semi permanent hair color, you can get in touch with any of the hair color experts in a renowned salon. The experts over there can provide you with a detailed description of the hair color removal process.
Popular semi permanent hair colors
While a permanent hair color can last for years, a semi-permanent hair color lives up to only a few weeks. It is because of its ingredients.
A temporary hair color disappears gradually with each hair wash. After 15 to 20 washes, the hair color vanishes. Therefore, you need to reapply it more often.
But do you know which color to select? Choosing the best color can be a pretty daunting task. There are various salons and beauty stores selling temporary hair colors and picking one among them can be an overwhelming task.
Why not select it from the latest color trends. These are the recommended hair colors that are the talk of the town now among youngsters:
- Purple Semi-permanent hair color
- Blue Semi-permanent hair color
- Black Semi-permanent hair color
- Pink semi-permanent hair color
- Semi-permanent red hair color
- Silver semi-permanent hair color
How often can you use semi permanent hair color?
You can use temporary hair color at an interval of two to three weeks. The main difference between permanent and semi-permanent hair color is that temporary color does not produce any damage to your hair.
And that is the reason why you can use it more often. Moreover, the color fades away after a few washes.
Thus, using temporary hair color products weekly will not affect your hair quality much. Additionally, if you want to know how to use semi-permanent hair color, you can get in touch with some expert hairstylists in your locality.
Popular Semi Permanent Hair Color Brands
Here is an overview of the variety of temporary hair color brands available in the market:
1. Ion Semi Permanent Hair Color
Any woman in pursuit of bright, bold and vivid hair color can check out the Ion temporary hair color.
Maximum ladies prefer this color as their hand-pick choice due to its exceptional color varieties, performance, and durability.
It contains argan oil, hyaluronic acid, Pequi oil, and several other natural products that help in nourishing your hair and provide your tussles with long-term strength.
2. Clairol Semi Permanent Hair Color
If you are in search of a hair color that can cover up your gray hair and provide you with flawless and beautiful hair, then the Clairol hair color is the ultimate choice for you.
It comes in a variety of natural hair colors. Brown is the most common color of all. It contains Vitamin E, Aloe Vera and Coconut oil which together work to provide you with bright and beautiful hair.
3. Adore semi permanent hair color
The temporary hair color from Adore is super-gentle and nourishing. It provides the least damage to your hair.
It contains Vitamin E, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera, Natural Herbs and zero Ammonia. That is the reason behind its popularity among women all over the world.
Available in 16 shades, this is extremely popular among women. The black semi-permanent hair color from Adore is something to chase.
4. Loreal semi permanent hair color
|L'Oreal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color for Brunette Hair, Midnight blue||Check Price On Amazon|
|L'Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color for Light Bleached or Blondes, Peach||Check Price On Amazon|
Are you looking for a hair color that does not last for a long time but looks funky? Well, the answer is simple.
The Loreal temporary hair color can satisfy your requirement. Loreal temporary hair color comes in a variety of pastel shades including red, blue and green.
This particular hair color provides a total of 11 shades that are unquestionably funky and cool. Loreal hair color lasts up to 4 to 10 washes.
5. Bigen semi permanent hair color
The ammonia and hydrogen peroxide free hair color is the ultimate choice for ladies. This particular hair color is applicable for any hair type including relaxed to chemically treated hair.
It contains beeswax, honey, and sunflower oil which nourishes the hair. It provides you with soft, gentle hair. Another advantage of using this hair color is it provides maximum gray coverage.
6. Wella semi permanent hair color
Wella’s range of semi-permanent hair color is one step above the normal temporary hair color available in the market. Do you know why? The answer is simple and straightforward.
Lasting and endurance are the names of the game here. It lasts up to 24 washes and nourishes your hair like never before.
7. Joico semi permanent hair color
|Joico Color Intensity Semi-Permanent Hair Color, Violet Pearl||Check Price On Amazon|
|Joico Vero K-PAK Color Intensity Semi-Permanent Hair Color, Amethyst Purple||Check Price On Amazon|
Do you love playing with colors and consider yourself to be an artist? This particular hair color from Joico will take your breath away.
There is a wide range of shades available. If you want, you can mix up one or more shades. Moreover, this hair color guarantees you healthy and beautiful hair.
8. Manic Panic semi-permanent hair color
Manic Panic is nothing but a pioneer when it comes to natural and ammonia-free hair color. These high-voltage hair colors as the brand call them come in a variety of 44 shades.
They are likewise known as super-pigmented. Besides its catchy title, this hair color is free from gluten, paraffin, and ammonia. That is why it won the Nylon Magazine beauty list award last year.
You can also go for the below Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Bundle that will come with all necessary products and also tools for the hair coloring process.
10. Revlon semi permanent hair color
The temporary hair color from Revlon has the potential to produce rich hair colors with excellent quality. As a 50 years old brand, it produces ammonia-free hair colors.
Furthermore, the brand is renovating its products daily. Now, with the 3D gel technology, there are several shades of this product available on the market.
As every head of hair is unique, keeping this concept in mind the team has produced unique hair color which lasts for a long time. Moreover, the ingredients present in this product make your hair look bright and glossy.
11. Dark and Lovely semi permanent hair color
The dark and lovely hair color is long-lasting and provides you with natural and glossy hair. It is a semi-permanent hair color for natural African American hair.
This particular hair color is for all black women out there. But do you know what makes it extraordinary? The answer is simple. It contains argan oil, coconut oil, olive oil, pomegranate oil, and shea butter that protects your hair from severe damage. It is the best hair color for dark hair.
Trending Semi-permanent hair colors
1. Blonde semi permanent hair color
Blonde semi-permanent hair color looks good on almost every face type. It is available in various shades of blonde. Moreover, this color lasts up to 12 washes.
One can use this by mixing semi-permanent hair color with conditioner.
Likewise, you can also use this without a conditioner. Make sure to purchase this product in case you are looking for lighter shades.
2. Titanium semi-permanent hair color
This hair color is a brilliantly intense hair color that came to India all the way down from Italy. It is a ready-to-use hair color. Its blue semi permanent hair color is common among all its other shades.
You can use this color on pre-bleached or color-treated hair. It has no side effects. Lasts up to 24 washes, this hair color is one of a kind.
How to apply semi-permanent hair color?
There are plenty of ways by which you can apply temporary hair color. Read on to know the steps involved in the process.
- Find the color you want: There are numerous temporary hair color products available in the marketplace, and you should know how to choose them. Pick the color that is your favorite and matches your personality. Temporary hair colors are suitable for every hair type but make sure to pick the brightest color for light hair. However, there are different options for dark hair. We have already stated the dark and lovely hair color in the previous section.
- Bleach your hair if necessary: Bleaching your hair will make the color turn out brighter for every hair type. If you have dark hair and want to showcase your hair in bright shades, then bleach is the only answer to all your questions. But, make sure to keep in mind that bleach damages hair.
- Do a patch test: A patch test is a simple method to check allergens at home. This particular step is essential if you have sensitive skin. If you dye your entire hair all at once, you may experience scalp itching and hair loss later. So, a patch test is necessary.
- Perform a strand test: Doing a strand test is necessary to check the compatibility of the color with your hair type. Dye one strand by following the instructions in the dye bottle. This way, you will get an idea about what color you are going to get on your hair. But, if you do not care about the shade, you can always skip this particular step.
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo and blow dry: Generally, you should not blow dry your hair. It produces damage. Wash your hair by using a clarifying shampoo and dry your hair. The drier your hair is, the darker the color is. That is why the blow dryer is. Do not condition your hair until you have applied the dye.
- Apply the dye: Place a fair amount of hair dye wherever you want it. It is useful if you apply hair dye with a tint brush. Go over each part to make sure the color is evenly spread. Furthermore, allow the color to set and rinse off your hair.
How to remove semi-permanent hair color?
You might be wondering how to wash out semi-permanent hair color. Don’t worry as the steps are simple. Here are the steps on how to get semi-permanent hair color out.
- Step 1: Firstly, you need to purchase a dandruff shampoo. You will get this product from any local grocery store or salon. Original formula Prell and Head & Shoulders are two popular options.
- Step 2: Get some baking soda. Remember that baking powder and baking soda are not the same things. The packaging looks the same, but the baking powder will not work in this case. Why Baking soda? The answer is simple. Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent. It will help you lighten your hair color without bleaching. As Bleaching causes a lot of damage, baking soda is the ultimate alternative.
- Step 3: Mix baking soda and clarifying shampoo in equal proportions. It does not have to be exact but make sure to keep the quantities the same.
- Step 4: Shampoo your hair with this mixture. Let this mixture stay for a few minutes. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Experience the feel of your natural hair back again.
Natural semi-permanent hair color
Temporary hair colors generally contain chemical substances that cause damage to our hair. It is due to the conventional hair color components. You must be aware, that all non-natural hair colors contain some chemicals. Those are hydrogen peroxides, persulfates, ammonia, resorcinol, lead acetate, and 4-ABP.
Hydrogen peroxide is extremely corrosive and must be forbidden. Persulfate fumes cause asthma and lung damage. Ammonia is irritant to the skin and eyes. Resorcinol is harmful and dangerous to the atmosphere. These are potentially toxic chemicals.
A natural hair color product is free from all these chemicals. That is why it is often known as vegan hair color. There are several natural hair color brands available in the market. Take a look at a few of them:
- Saach Organics: It is a PETA-certified hair color that is entirely vegan and natural. There are no active chemicals present in it.
- Original & Mineral: It is an Australian brand of temporary hair color. Original & Mineral was the premier brand to produce ammonia, resorcinol, and PPD-free hair color. It is gentle on the scalp, hair, and hands.
- Logona Herbal Hair Color Crème: This vegan-friendly hair color contains organic henna from Sekem Farm, jojoba seed oil, rhubarb root powder, and a fragrance based on pure essential oils.
- Indus Valley Botanical Hair Color: This hair color is a safe choice for sensitive-skinned women. It is an organic hair dye that contains no ammonia, PPD and peroxide.
- Natulique Organic Colors: Promising 1oo% grey coverage, a mixture of approved organic components including real sunflower seed essence and jojoba, apricot and grape seed oils it initiates the color to strengthen the hair for a fresh color boost.
Semi-permanent vs permanent hair color
There are notable differences between Semi-permanent hair color and permanent hair color, here are a few important differences.
- Longevity: Talking about persistence a semi-permanent hair color lasts up to three weeks. On the other hand, permanent hair colors remain for up to six to eight weeks. The reason behind this difference is the presence of chemicals. Semi-permanent hair color products do not contain chemical products. That is why it is not durable like permanent hair color products.
- Hair structure: Semi-permanent hair color only adds shine to the hair. It does not alter the composition of your hair. On the other hand, permanent hair color changes the structure to deposit the dye in your hair.
- Hair Lightening and darkening: A semi-permanent hair color does not lighten or darken your hair. It only adds shine and gloss to your hair. On the other hand, permanent hair color has the potential to lighten, darken and change the tone of your hair.
- Maintenance: The maintenance process is different for both hair colors. Temporary hair colors do not need much support and care, but permanent hair color requires a bundle of care.
Difference between Demi and Semi-permanent hair color
|Demi-Permanent Hair Color||Semi-Permanent hair color|
|Demi-permanent hair color contains peroxide-based developer||Semi-permanent hair color requires no developer|
|Demi-permanent hair color enters into the dermis/cuticle of your hair shaft||Semi-permanent hair color only coats the hair shaft|
|Demi’s last up to 24 washes||Semi permanent hair colors last up to 12 washes|
|Demis can’t drastically lighten the color of the hair but can darken hair up to a great extent||Semis can change the color of the hair slightly but with a blurry effect|
|Demis provide you with good gray coverage. It will last longer as it is almost opaque.||Semis provide you with little gray coverage. It will fade more quicker.|
|Demis do cause significant damage because there is the peroxide developer that roughs up the cuticle.||Semis do not cause significant damage because there is no developer.|
|High maintenance and long-term commitment||Low maintenance and short-term commitment|