Light hair has been considered as the epitome of beauty since the prehistoric times. Remember Cinderella, Snow White and other so-called ‘beautiful characters’ from the fairy tales? Well! They all had light shades of hair. It is believed that fair-headed people are younger and healthier.
Let’s face the fact! Natural blondes are rare, and hence the ladies use bleaches to lighten their strands. However, inappropriate usage of bleaches can make your hair uneven and damaged.
In case, your favourite hair bleach has ditched you, and you ended up with a multi-hued hairdo, don’t worry, as we will tell you about some smart ways to fix uneven bleached hair.
Before you dig into the solutions, it is imperative to understand the causes of uneven bleached hair. A root cause analysis will help you find better solutions.
Reasons for uneven bleached hair
An uneven bleached hair can be the result of any of the below factors:
1. Uneven application
It is essential to mix the bleach properly, and it is important to apply the mixture evenly on your strands. It is advisable to make small sections in your hair before applying the mixture. For long strands, it is essential to start with the ends and slowly work towards the roots.
The bleaching mixture should be allowed to sit in your hair for at least forty minutes. If you are impatient during the bleaching process, then the result can be unsatisfactory.
2. Your hair had a very dark base color
If your hair had a very dark base color like dark brown or black, then the bleaching process can make your hair strands orange or red.
3. Not choosing the right quantity of bleach
There cannot be a cookie-cutter bleaching approach for everyone. The bleach amount will depend upon the length and quality of your hair.
If you are unsure about the quantity that you will need, you can take the help of professionals or colorists. It is always advisable to get the bleaching done from a professional hairstylist or a reputed salon.
4. Incorrect mixing
For best results, it is imperative to mix the bleach properly. If the mixing is not entirely homogeneous, then you can end up with uneven colors on your strands.
5. Choosing the wrong product
It is essential to choose the right product, depending on your hair type. If you are dubious, you can consult with the professionals or ask the experts in different online forums.
How to Fix Uneven Bleached Hair – 4 Best Methods
Now that you know the causes of uneven bleached hair, you must look into the solutions to ameliorate your hair’s appearance.
1. Apply a darker hair dye to cover it up
This is a popular process for fixing uneven bleached hair. Let’s take a sneak-peek into the detailed process:
|L'Oreal Paris Casting Creme Gloss, Darkest Brown 300, 87.5g+72ml||Check Price On Amazon|
|Cuticolor Quick 3.0 Dark Brown - 5 Minute Hair Color 120g||Check Price On Amazon|
- Step 1: Scrutinize your strands. If your hair is blond at the roots and orange or red at the tips, then you can choose a darker shade like chocolate brown to cover them up.
- Step 2: You need to apply the darker shade from root to tip. Start by sectioning your hair and apply the color from root to tip. If your hair is too long, then you can consider making ponytails.
- Step 3: You need to give it a considerable amount of time to see the best results. It will be advisable to wait for 40-50 minutes.
- Step 4: Wash off your hair well with a branded shampoo.
Your hair will be uniformly colored with a darker shade, later this will be used as a base color, and when you repeat the bleaching process after a few weeks, you can expect better results.
If you are doing the hair coloring yourself then ensure using gloves and cover your face with a mask so that the dark hair dyes cannot harm your skin.
2. Wait for few weeks and reapply your bleach
This hair bleaching process is relatively straightforward and is similar to the actual bleaching process:
- Step 1: You begin with a clean scalp to have maximum effects. In case you forgot to apply shampoo you can apply, before commencing the process.
- Step 2: Blow-dry your hair and make small partitions
- Step 3: Use a hair coloring brush and work on each segment. Work from the tip of your strands till the roots. If you have more volume, then this process can be more time-consuming. But patience during hair bleaching will bring better results.
- Step 4: Wash off your bleached strands with a good shampoo.
Re-bleaching can fix uneven coloring. You will end up with an evenly applied color on your tresses. You can expect your hair to have a homogenized shade.
Hair dye and bleaches contain peroxide; hence you must wait for three to four weeks before bleaching your hair again. As bleaching can make your hair rough, it would be better to use coconut oil and hydrating ampoules to pamper your strands before you bleach them again.
3. Utilize toning shampoos to fix the problematic shades
By utilizing contrasting hues, you can fix the incorrect shades. For instance, you can fix orange and brass shades with blue shampoo and conditioners. Blue is the opposite color of orange in the color spectrum; hence some experts say that if your bleach mistakenly gave you an orange hue, you can fix the same by applying blue colored shampoo and conditioner.
If your uneven bleaching resulted in some unwanted green strands, you can fix the same by applying red shampoo and conditioners. Red and green are opposite colors in the spectrum, and hence the green shades can be equalized with the application of red shampoos.
Amidst the mind-boggling options available in the market, choosing the right product can be a nerve-wracking experience; you can consult the experts to choose the best product for you.
Let’s look into the contrasting hues and let’s find out which shades they can fix:
|Color of shampoo and conditioner||Fixes hues||Helps in treating|
|Blue||Fixes brassy tones, orange hues||Blue shampoos and conditioners are beneficial for highlighted brunette hair. It helps you to get rid of unwanted orange hues.|
|Red||Fixes green hues||Unwanted green hues can be fixed by using red-colored shampoo and conditioners.|
|Purple||Fixes yellow tones||Purple shampoo and conditioners can be helpful to treat silver hair with yellow undertones. You can get your desired silver shade and can bid goodbye to the unwanted yellow hues.|
|Sun-kissed Orange||Fixes ashy tones||Ashy tones can be neutralized with the help of warm undertones like sun-kissed orange. Use the right shampoo to even out the colors and look like a diva.|
This hair bleaching process is relatively simple. You need to pick up the best-colored shampoo and conditioner as indicated in the above list and use the same to wash your hair 2-3 times a week.
You must use the right quantity of shampoo and conditioner on your hair. Excessive usage of shampoo can hydrate your scalp and strands and can cause hair fall and split ends.
Toning products can even out the shades and make your strands look beautiful
4. Use targeted bleach applications for the missed spots
If you accidentally missed out few spots while bleaching, you can re-bleach the same by targeting them. Let’s look into the process:
- Step 1: Make thin sections in your hair to observe the strands and to locate the spots that missed bleaching.
- Step 2: After the sports are identified, make a homogenized mixture of the bleach and apply on the targeted spots.
- Step 3: Wait for some time for the bleach to work.
- Step 4: Wash off with a good shampoo
By fixing the missed spots, you can expect a uniform shade on all your strands.
Take the right amount of bleach for the missed sports. You will need a lesser quantity than usual Hence you need to prepare the mixture accordingly. If you are nervous about using this method, try out the method on a small area first.
Hair is the first thing that we notice in an individual’s appearance, and according to recent research, light color strands grab faster attention than the darker ones. Hence, we must not leave any stones unturned to enhance our hair’s appearance and fix the uneven bleacher hair strands. The uneven bleaches can destroy our look and cause a lot of hair problems in the long run. Hence follow the above ways to get evenly bleached hair and get a mesmerizing look that can turn heads.