Most people wonder whether they can change their hair texture permanently. While you can improve your hair texture, making a permanent change is dependent on several factors. Hair consistency, diet, stress level, and hormonal changes contribute to whether your hair texture will be smooth or rough.
A healthy diet and lifestyle can also give you a full, thick, and smooth head of hair. Your hair type is also a contributing factor in achieving a lustrous hair texture and volume.
Now let’s cut the chase and dwell on what you can do to improve your hair texture.
Is it Possible to Permanently Change Your Hair Texture?
It is possible to change your hair texture. However, similarly to perms, and some other hair changes, the change will not be permanent.
The reason is that your hair texture develops according to your DNA which cannot be modified. As a toddler or teenager, your hair may have been fuller and healthier than your current age.
The reason is that several hormones must have been secreted in your body, capable of causing changes in your organs. The scalp is an organ with a complex structure and is responsible for hair growth. Your hair texture, therefore, depends mostly on your genetic makeup, age, and diet.
Changing your hair texture ‘permanently’ is not the appropriate thing to attempt to achieve. Instead, you can improve your hair texture from coarse/rough to fine/smooth.
However, be aware that using chemical treatment is not advisable to improve your hair texture as it can damage your scalp and hair structure over time.
There are safe hair products in the market and other natural methods for achieving a better texture of hair. One of the popular and easy methods is to obtain desired texture using hair relaxers.
We will explore several methods that you can attempt, alongside the procedures, and then it would be up to you to choose which method you will adopt.
How to Change Your Hair Texture Using Hair Product
The ORS olive oil texturizer straightens and softens curly hair. It elongates tightly curled hair making it more manageable and silkier. It contains coconut oil, shea butter, avocado oil, and olive oil. It is safe for new hair growth or virgin hair.
It doesn’t give the artificial silky feel of a chemical relaxer. This product is suitable for kids and adults who want to change their hair texture, especially curly-haired ones.
There is an anti-breakage oil that controls hair loss and adds shine, included in the pack.
- Mix the texturizer paste in the container with the provided nourishing oil very well.
- Part your hair into three or four sections and apply the mixture to new growth or virgin hair.
- Wear the hand gloves provided for application and massage the mixture into your hair gently.
- Do not comb through if you want to retain some curls, otherwise, you can use a wide-tooth comb.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes or less, depending on your original hair type and texture. The timing for each hair type is stated on the leaflet.
- Wash thoroughly with the shampoo provided and apply the moisturizing conditioner in the kit.
- Rinse off the conditioner after 5 minutes and pat dry with a soft towel or cotton t-shirt.
- Dry and style as desired.
- Don’t exceed the timing for your hair type as indicated on the instruction leaflet.
- Wash twice or thrice with the provided shampoo to remove traces of the texturizer from your hair.
- Remember to apply some of the nourishing oil to your hair before applying the texturizer.
- Also, do not forget to mix the texturizer with the same oil before the application process.
Other Hair Products to Change Hair Texture
Following the same procedure and precautions for the application of the ORS olive oil texturizer discussed above, here are other quality products suitable for changing your hair texture:
4 Methods to Change Your Hair Texture Naturally
1. Egg Mask
Eggs are known to contain high amounts of protein and some fat. The fat content in the egg can help improve your scalp structure and boost hair growth from the roots.
The protein nourishment works on the hair texture and battles frizz. Dry, brittle, or coarse hair benefits from this treatment by becoming softer and moisturized.
- Beat 1 or 2 eggs or more, depending on your hair volume and length.
- Working your way through from scalp to tip, apply the egg mixture generously to hair.
- Massage the mask into your hair and cover it with a plastic cap.
- Leave in for about 30 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
- Do not leave it for longer than an hour to avoid damaging your hair.
2. Natural Oil Treatment
There are several sources of oil available naturally and can be extracted easily, even in your kitchen. Some of these include almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and castor oil. They are naturally rich in omega-3, which is a hair booster.
Daily application is recommended to enhance your hair texture and make it feel fluffier. Natural oil massage improves blood circulation in your scalp, thereby enriching hair texture.
- Wash your hair with organic shampoo and pat it dry using a smooth cotton t-shirt to avoid bruising your hair follicles.
- Apply your preferred oil to the damp hair from the ones listed above by massaging it into your scalp and hair strands.
- The application should not be done in excess to avoid a build-up of oil in your hair which could cause an imbalance of hair structure.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a natural botanical plant that you can use to improve dry and coarse hair. Aloe vera fights split ends and dull hair. It increases hair shine and combats frizz.
Your hair becomes more attractive and manageable when you apply Aloe Vera.
- Cut aloe vera plant from the stem and extract the juice.
- Either blend to smooth paste or apply directly after extraction.
- Run a wide-tooth comb through your hair after application to distribute the juice evenly.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap and leave-in for 30 minutes or an hour.
- Rinse off with cold water
- Ensure you use a wide-tooth comb or use your fingers to spread the juice, otherwise, you may experience hair loss.
4. Onion Juice
Recently, onion juice has been discovered to have great benefits for the hair. It contains Sulphur which is perfect for thinning hair. Onion juice also adds shine to your hair.
- Peel and slice an onion into bits.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Use a strainer to squeeze out the juice.
- Take two or three tablespoons and apply to your scalp.
- Let it penetrate for 30 minutes with your plastic cap on.
- Wash off with shampoo if you cannot bear the onion smell.
- Don’t exceed the stipulated timing for which it should sit in your hair. It may lead to hair damage.
The best way to achieve a great hair texture is to live a healthy lifestyle, eat a balanced diet, and perform regular exercise. A good hair regimen becomes a success if you combine it with all those activities.
You are what you eat and what makes up your body system. Every part of your body develops from your bloodstream, and your hair is not an exception. Feed in the required vitamins to your body and watch how your hair will improve in texture and structure.