Don’t want your hair to look half-colored when you try to wash the dye out of your hair? Well, if you follow certain steps while getting rid of the dye, then it wouldn’t be a problem.
You might commit mistakes when dyeing your hair for the first time and in that case, it is really important that you get rid of it as soon as possible to be able to color it again.
Sometimes, because the hair cuticles are not open, the pigments deposit in the hair and thus dye doesn’t get out of the hair properly later on.
Table of Contents
- 1 What happens if you don’t wash all the dye out of your hair?
- 2 How many times should I wash hair after applying dye?
- 3 Can I rinse hair dye out in the shower?
- 4 Do you rinse hair dye out with hot or cold water?
- 5 Does wetting your hair fade color?
- 6 Does wetting your hair count as washing?
- 7 Can you use shampoo to wash out hair dye?
- 8 Popular sulphate free shampoos and conditioners
What happens if you don’t wash all the dye out of your hair?
When you don’t wash the dye completely out of your hair then your hair is bound to become dull and fall flat because of all the color deposits in your hair.
It might even end up in a color change of the hair if the dye s left behind. When you apply a darker shade of dye and then the dye doesn’t get out of the hair properly, then it turns into its lighter shade.
The hair will start stinking because of the reaming dye and will become very stiff. You will basically get opaque hair.
All this happens because of the amount of chemicals present in the dye, the worst one being ammonia.
Ammonia is the main reason all of this happens to your hair and thus the smell. No matter how much that smell is covered using artificial fragrances but it continues to remain in your hair.
How many times should I wash hair after applying dye?
You can usually get semi-permanent ones out after 1 wash if you follow the steps clearly. The permanent ones may take a few weeks until they are ready to be washed off.
These steps are applicable to most of the dyes in the market. The secret to getting rid of the dye completely lies in 3 basic steps:
- Create emulsion on your scalp
- Shampoo your hair
- Condition it properly
Emulsion is a process of wetting your hair using warm water and gently massaging your hair and scalp for 10 minutes. This is for removing any kind of stains that you may have left in the hair or scalp.
Wash your hair until you see no color coming out of the hair. Next comes shampoo. Make sure you are using a sulfate-free shampoo and apply it all over your scalp to cover all areas. Rub it for 5 mins and wash it off.
Use conditioners that are especially for post-colorization times. This way it will make your hair softer and glamorous looking.
Can I rinse hair dye out in the shower?
All the processes involved in washing the dye out of the hair especially emulsification is best done in hot water. Most showers get hot water and cold water, both.
The best way to remove your dye from the hair would be in a hot shower as using tap or other means to wash hair can be messy with the entire color draining everywhere.
The shower keeps it clean and color-free as the flowing water keeps removing it and putting it down the drain. Just make sure that you don’t let color accumulate in the corners of the shower area as it can be difficult to remove it later, otherwise, you are good to go.
Emulsification is a very essential step in the whole process and if done in a hot shower will give the best results! Your dye will come out with a lot of ease.
Do you rinse hair dye out with hot or cold water?
If you have the facility of having hot water in your shower then it would be best that you remove the dye from your hair in the hot shower.
Do not use cold water to do the process as it would just result in dull and dry hair with all the dye still in your hair. You need hot water to create emulsification which actually is the main step for removing the dye out of the hair.
Shampoo and conditioner also need to be done using Luke warm water in the shower.
Does wetting your hair fade color?
One of the ways to sabotage the hair color shade of your hair would be to wet it. Wetting your hair will not fade the color completely but it will result in a significant change in the hair color.
While shampooing is blamed to be the most disastrous for dyed hair, water also has some serious effects. Stay away from water as much as possible if you want to keep the dyed hair intact for a long time.
Does wetting your hair count as washing?
Wetting your hair doesn’t count as washing as it doesn’t involve shampooing and conditioning.
Wetting your hair will simply make the deposits stick to your scalp instead of getting removed. Water doesn’t take the impurities out of the hair as the shampoos do so just washing your hair with water doesn’t count as washing your hair.
People also wet their hair before they start styling for better molding. Avoid it if you have hair dye in your hair.
Can you use shampoo to wash out hair dye?
But for the dye to get out in a complete manner, it is important that you use a sulfate shampoo as mentioned before.
If a shampoo has sulfate content then it will not let the pigment get out of the hair so easily.
Make sure you take enough amount of shampoo and make enough lather. Cover each and every corner of your head and massage gently for 5 minutes before you rinse it out with hit water,
If you feel like your hair still has some dye left, then do go for another round of shampoo before you move on to the final step of conditioning.
Popular sulphate free shampoos and conditioners
1. Salt and Sulphate Free Shampoo and Conditioner for Color Treated
- ★ MAINTAIN AND PROTECT EXPENSIVE HAIR TREATMENTS - Perfect for Brazilian Keratin Hair Straightening Kit Hair Serum Hair Treatment, Hair Color Treatments and Hair Extensions Shampoo Aftercare Protection. Ideal shampoo sulfate free conditioner hair care hair products. Brilliant Brazilian blowout shampoo and conditioner sulfate free.
- ★ NO SALT, NO SODIUM, NO SULFATES - And PARABEN FREE, SLS free shampoo conditioner in value for money 500ml bottles. Perfectly complimenting one another, this sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair twin value pack will leave your hair looking its fullest.
- ★ CLEANS WITHOUT STRIPPING - No salt, no sodium, no sulfate free Shampoo and Conditioner sets get rid of the Dirt, Oil and Frizzy causing oily sulfates to leave your hair SMOOTH, FRIZZ FREE, SOFT and SHINY with the aftercare Conditioner for hair. The perfect hair shampoo and hair conditioner for color treated hair duo pack sulfate free shampoo and conditioner set!
- ★ LEAVES HAIR AMAZINGLY SOFT & SHINY - Recommended in Salons worldwide for a healthy intense cleanse WITHOUT stripping your hair and without de-bonding a hair extension. Paraben free to prevent hair dryness, damage and irritation. Amazing color treated hair shampoo and conditioner and organic hair color.
- ★ SUITABLE FOR ALL HAIR TYPES - Including Color Treated Hair. Dark colored hair dyes often fade, strip and wash out when using regular shampoo. Alternative to and compatible with kerastase shampoo & conditioner and keratin complex shampoo and conditioner. This keratin shampoo and conditioner will help keep the color strong and vibrant for much longer.
2. Herbal Essences, Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner Kit
- 87% NATURAL ORIGIN SHAMPOO AND 90% NATURAL ORIGIN CONDITIONER made with real botanicals and natural source ingredient materials with limited processing & purified water
- GENTLE CLEANSE: This shampoo is crafted without sulfates to gently cleanse, smooth and protect color-treated hair
- HAIR HEALTH ENDORSED BY KEW: The real botanicals in these formulas have been verified by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
- THE SCENT EXPERIENCE: Multilayered scents of ocean mist, dewy florals and warm amber
- OUR NO, NO, NO LIST: Our Birch Bark Extract Shampoo and Conditioner are sulfate-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free and dye-free
- You will receive one 12.2 fluid ounce bottle of Shampoo and one 13.5 fluid ounce bottle of Conditioner
3. Pantene Shampoo & Conditioner + Rescue Shot Treatment
- Rose water shampoo that gives soothing hydration for thirsty hair. You will receive 1 9.6 oz bottle of shampoo, 1 8 oz bottle of conditioner and 1 0.5 oz Hair Mask shot
- Nourishing conditioner helps seal in moisture for silky softness
- Hair Mask shot: dry hair moisturizing treatment noticeably repairs extreme damage in 1 use
- Color-safe formula that’s safe for chemically treated hair