Are you going gray? I bet you are stressing over how to heat style your hair. After all, gray hair is more prone to damage.
Gray hairs are more porous in nature. They don’t have their own pigmentation or color. Moreover, the heat damage caused by flat irons is more visible in gray hair in comparison to colored or tinted hair. Heat damage can also leave your gray hair to pale yellow color.
Having gray hair doesn’t mean saying goodbye to heat styling. You can still straighten it and style it in your own way. You just need to find the best flat iron suitable for your gray hair.
A good flat iron can save your sparkling silvers. Here is a detailed guide to help you find the best flat iron for gray hair.
How to Select the Suitable Flat Iron for Gray Hair?
1. Go for flat irons with temperature adjusting features
Higher is the heat, the straighter and sleeker is the hair. But not all of the hair types need or can adjust to high temperatures, especially gray hair.
Make sure the flat iron offers multiple adjustable heat settings. This will give you the freedom to decide how much heat you want to put in your hair.
Set the flat iron to its lowest temperature or the lowest heat setting to unlock straight, silky, and frizz-free and damage-free gray hair. Also, try to make only a few passes.
2. Choose the right plate for gray hair
As mentioned before, gray hair is porous and more prone to breakage. Styling it with flat irons can make them frizzy, rough and burnt.
Choosing a flat iron with the right plate can save you from such unwanted results of heat styling. While different flat irons are made of a combination of different materials, some are less damaging to your hair than others.
The best plate option for gray hair is definitely ceramic plates. These plates control heat and distribute it evenly throughout your hair strands. Such plates are either ceramic plates or ceramic coated.
Titanium plates are used for distributing higher temperatures. These plates get heated up real quick and are more suitable for extremely coarse or textured hair.
However, ceramic plates are the best if you want to keep the heat minimal and save your silver locks from getting overheated.
3. Treat your flat iron as an investment
It’s easy to fall for cheap flat irons when you are searching the shelves for your next heating tool. Cheap flat irons can break easily, fail to give great results and even burn your hair.
Don’t risk your gray tresses by going for a flat iron that is unbelievably cheap. Take your budget into consideration and make a purchase that is not overtly costly yet provides great value and quality.
We have some great recommendations you can consider while choosing your best flat iron for gray hair.
Top 5 Flat Irons for Gray Hair
1. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Rose Gold Ceramic Flat Iron
Your silvers will feel loved by INFINITI PRO by Conair Flat iron.
This iron comes with ceramic plates which are extra wide for your convenience.
The flat iron has 30 different heating settings.
This ensures you can smoothly style your gray hair without burning it or changing its color.
INFINITIPRO by Conair Flat iron can heat up to 455° F with its advanced ceramic heat technology. The flat iron takes only 15 seconds to heat up and styles gray hair evenly without any hot spots. Its lightweight structure is easy to hold and makes heat styling convenient.
The flat iron comes with floating plates to ensure a better contact with hair strands. Its extra-long plates and rose gold ceramic give you quick and high shine results.
- INFINITIPRO by Conair Rose Gold Ceramic Flat Iron comes with a professional 6 feet swivel cord or cable.
- The high quality ceramic and longer plates straightens long sections of hair in one go.
- It comes with an auto shut off feature designed for the customer’s safety. However, the flat iron can shut off in the midst of you ironing your hair without your realisation. This can result in improper styling results.
2. REVLON Salon Straightener Copper + Ceramic Flat Iron
Revlon Salon Straightener Copper + Ceramic Flat Iron is a value for money product considering its features and price.
It has an XL Advanced Copper Styling surface which heats up quickly and transforms your structured gray hair into its smooth and silkier version.
The flat iron takes only 10 seconds to heat and reaches up to 455°F in no time.
The amazing Digital LCD feature of 30 different customizable heat settings ensures you can make no mistake adjusting the right heat for styling your gray hair. Keep the heat level between 180° F to 300° F for styling gray hair.
The auto dual voltage makes it a perfect choice for your trips and worldwide destinations. It also has a locking switch so you can slip it easily into your bag. The flat iron also comes with a comb attachment so you can comb and straighten your hair at the same time.
- The amazing Smart Heat Memory System helps to recall your last heat setting so there is no confusion or time wasted upon deciding the best heat setting again and again.
- You can also create waves and curls with this flat iron with its True Grip rounded plates.
- The flat iron heats up extra fast. It’s advised to set the lowest heat setting while styling your gray hair with this flat iron to avoid any chances of burning it with its intense heat.
3. HSI Professional Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener
HSI Professional Flat iron is truly a quality product with its tourmaline-infused ceramic plates and heat balance technology.
The tourmaline-infused ceramic plates generate negative ions to reduce frizz and give straight silky hair.
The Heat Balance technology reduces the time required to apply heat to your gray hair.
The flat iron with its 8 micro-sensors works to evenly distribute heat and regulate the temperature throughout your heat styling session. It provides an adjustable heat setting between 140°F to 450° F.
The 110/220 worldwide dual voltage makes it a perfect choice for those who love to travel. The extra-long 360° swivel cord provides flexibility to style your beautiful silvers with ease.
- HSI Professional Flat Iron provides heat resistant gloves, travel size argan oil treatment and a red/white pouch with the package.
- The floating plates make the flat iron suitable for straightening, curling and flipping gray hair.
- The Heat balance technology regulates heat to avoid overheating and burning of your locks. You may not like this flat iron if you like styling your hair with maximum heat.
4. Remington S9520 Pro 2″ Pearl Ceramic Flat Iron
Remington S9520 Pro 2 Pearl Ceramic Flat Iron is sleek, lightweight and gives you salon straight hair within minutes.
Its pearl ceramic technology is made up of real crushed pearls for faster and smoother hairstyling results.
The LCD temperature display is a must when you are looking for a flat iron for gray hair.
Remington S9520 Pro 2 flat iron comes with an adjustable LCD temperature display and 8 times more ceramic to cancel frizz and roughness.
With more than 7500 reviews on Amazon, this flat iron is the perfect choice for those who want to prevent heat damage while straightening their gray tresses.
The super fast heating duration of this flat iron takes only 15 seconds to reach 450° F high heat. The digital controls and temperature lock secure your chosen heating setting. It also has an hinge lock to ensure easy storage.
- Its floating plates with 2 inches width ensure quick advanced styling with minimal number of passes.
- Say goodbye to post heat styling anxiety as this flat iron comes with a 60 minute auto shutoff feature.
- No drawbacks apart from the fact that it doesn’t comes with a case or pouch.
5. VANESSA Titanium Plate Flat Iron Hair Straightener and Curler
This is for the curly and kinky beauties who want to give their gray hair a salon smooth finish in one go.
You really need one pass of this flat iron to give you perfectly straight hair without any frizz.
Those with wavy and straight hair can also use the VANESSA Titanium Plate Iron to achieve their perfect hairstyle.
This VANESSA flat iron has a sturdy look which makes it a great addition to your aesthetic vanity. It has 11 different settings ranging from 265°F to 450°F. It has an invisible screen that shows the digital temperature number only when turned on.
The titanium plates release negative ions to moisten your hair shaft. As a result, it leaves your gray hair polished, smooth and damage-free after each use. The 360° flexible swivel is another impressive addition.
- All VANESSA products are trusted for their high quality. Titanium Plate Flat Iron Hair Straightener and Curler also offer an 18 month warranty so you have nothing to lose.
- VANESSA claims that this flat iron has the world’s longest plate with its 4.7 × 1.0 inch (L12 × W2.7 cm) size.
- The package doesn’t come with instructions to turn on the flat iron.
Comparison of above listed flat irons for Gray hair
|INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Rose Gold Ceramic Flat Iron||REVLON Salon Straightener Copper + Ceramic Flat Iron||HSI Professional Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener||Remington S9520 Pro 2″ Pearl Ceramic Flat Iron||VANESSA Titanium Plate Flat Iron Hair Straightener and Curler|
|Plate Material||Ceramic infused plates||Copper 3x Ceramic Plates||Tourmaline infused ceramic plates||Pearl Ceramic||Pure Titanium|
|Number of Settings||30 settings||30 settings||Temperature can be adjusted anywhere between 140-450 degree F||9 settings||11 settings|
|Heat-up Duration||15 seconds||10 seconds||15 seconds||15 seconds||15-20 seconds|
|Dual Voltage||Not Dual Voltage||Dual voltage||Dual voltage||Not dual voltage||Dual voltage|
|Plate width||1 inch||1 inch||1 inch||2 inches||1 inch|
It’s possible to rock gray hair in all its glory. You can straighten it, curl it or create attractive waves without worrying about frizz, damage or changes in hair color.
All you need to do is to find the perfect flat iron for your mesmerizing silvers and you are good to go! Hope this guide helped you to find the best flat iron for your gray hair.