Once gray hair starts appearing, most of us think about covering it as we think people will perceive the gray hair as an indication of old age. Hence, it’s common for most of us to look for professional hair color to cover gray hair to try to appear younger.
Regardless of age or gender, gray hair makes everyone to look for a hair color matching their natural hair color. However, many hair colors available there may not be suitable to cover gray hair.
Hence, we decided to bucket a list of best professional hair colors to cover gray hair for you!
Table of Contents
- 1 List of Top 7 best professional hair colors to cover gray
- 2 Editor’s Pick : Best Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray
- 3 Precautions to be taken While Applying Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray
- 4 Top 7 Best Professional Hair Colors to Cover Gray Hair
- 5 A Comparison of 7 Best Professional Hair Colors to Cover Gray
- 6 Buyer’s Guide to Select the Best Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray
- 7 How Frequently Should You Apply Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray?
List of Top 7 best professional hair colors to cover gray
If you are in hurry, please check the below list of selected professional hair colors to cover gray hair, and pick one of them that suits you.
- L’Oréal Paris Excellence Crème
- Elgon Moda and Styling Hair Color
- Revlon ColorSilk
- Zotos AGEbeautiful Permanent Liqui-Crème
- L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Rescue Coloring Kit
- Clairol Nice & Easy
- Umberto Beverly Hills U Color
Editor’s Pick : Best Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray
- he result of natural looking color that's perfectly true to you! Superior natural looking color with tones and highlights. 3 salon tones in 1 simple step.
All the hair colors that I have mentioned above have their benefits and offer something unique. However, the best of them all that I highly recommend is Clairol Nice and Easy.
The reason is that even in revealing sunlight, your hair will look 100 percent natural and not colored. Moreover, every box includes CC Color Seal Cream for added shine, brilliance, and softness.
Other reasons why this product was picked as the best professional hair color to cover gray include:
- It is available in more than 45 different shades.
- It assures 100 percent gray coverage.
- Superior, natural-looking color.
Precautions to be taken While Applying Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray
Before applying the best professional hair color to cover gray, you should follow these safety precautions:
- Read the directions given on the package. Make sure to pay attention to all the Warnings and Cautions labeled on it.
- Before you apply the hair color, do a patch test. In this regard, apply a bit of hair color behind the ear and leave it for some time (ideally 24 hours). If it gives you a rash, do not use that hair color.
- Avoid applying color on your eyebrows or eyelashes. In doing so, it can hurt your eyes, and you might even go blind. FDA has strictly advised that do not ever apply hair colors on eyelashes or eyebrows.
- Keep the hair color out of the reach of children.
- Rinse the scalp thoroughly after applying the hair color.
- Do not keep the hair color on longer than the mentioned directions labeled on the kit.
- Make sure to put on gloves when applying the hair color.
- Do not mix different hair products since it can hurt your scalp and weakens your hair.
Top 7 Best Professional Hair Colors to Cover Gray Hair
1. L’Oréal Paris Excellence Crème
L’Oréal Paris Excellence Crème hair color provides you exceptionally gorgeous gray hair coverage on the stubborn grays in its own words. It also includes a triple protection system – ceramide, pro-keratin complex, and collagen necessary to protect and nourish your hair.
If you have medium blonde hair and a warm undertone, its medium blonde shade will work perfectly.
- It is a triple care color with triple care formula.
- The hair color assures 100% gray coverage from roots to tips.
- It makes hair more substantial and more resistant to brushing.
- L’Oréal is also a rich, even, and long-lasting hair color and gives your hair a soft and silky touch.
- It is clean, easy preparation, and application.
- It doesn’t drip and blends well with natural hair color.
2. Elgon Moda and Styling Hair Color
Elgon Moda is an Italian brand. This product is popular for its two unique characteristics. Firstly, it utilizes only 50% of ammonia, making it more gentle on strands and eliminating the undesired smell. Secondly, the dye molecules of this product are smaller than others.
Smaller molecules are better since there is a meager chance that they will slip out of the hair shaft, keeping the hair color lasting long. Moreover, the tube also contains significantly more products than other hair color lines.
The color is available in more than 75 shades. It is one of the best professional hair colors to cover gray for people looking for a rich and decisive color.
- The maxi-dose of hair color offers a more intense, longer-lasting, and shinier color.
- Since it includes antioxidants, it keeps the color stable for an extended period.
- Thanks to silk fibers and synthetic polymers, it develops a protective film on the scalp and a hydrophobic barrier on the shaft to protect the color from fading to keep the shine.
- It is paraben-free.
3. Revlon ColorSilk
Another ammonia-free and one of the best professional hair colors to cover gray is Revlon ColorSilk.
The product is formulated using Revlon 3G Color Gel technology – a combination of conditioners, dyes, and polymers to give a multidimensional, natural-looking color to your hair, from roots to tips.
The product also contains a more lasting formula and gives your hair silkier touch. Additionally, it is an ammonia-free product; it doesn’t damage your hair while imparting color and shine to it.
- It provides 100% gray coverage and leaves your hair shinier and beautiful.
- It is ammonia-free and doesn’t damage your hair while applying color.
- It includes deep conditioning technology that makes your hair softer and supple.
- The color is also non-dripping, and its easy spreading formula gives an even color from roots to tips to hair.
4. Zotos AGEbeautiful Permanent Liqui-Crème
As per Zotos, our hair loses manageability, volume, moisture, shine, and color as we age. The product promises to allow you to get rid of and restore all these with an array of AGEbeautiful Permanent Liqui-Crème hair colors.
It contains silk protein, keratin peptide, melanin, and a conditioning agent that protects you from these signs of aging and covers gray hair exceptionally well.
This hair color also lasts longer than many other hair colors (up to 8 weeks). One of its shade (strawberry blonde) is incredibly popular since that is neither blonde nor entirely red.
- It makes hair feel shinier, stronger, and softer.
- The color lasts up to 8 weeks, significantly more than most hair products available out there.
- It’s also easy to apply and doesn’t drip or sting on the scalp.
- It contains melanin, keratin peptide, patented conditioning technology, and silk protein to replenish hair.
5. L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Rescue Coloring Kit
You can skip your next salon appointment if you use this hair color since it is highly durable and incredibly easy to use.
The kit contains an applicator bottle with an easy to apply brush and a low-ammonia gel. After you have mixed the color, apply the bottle tip directly to your hair root to brush the color over the roots.
Moreover, it also has a wide range of brown shades, so you can find the one that perfectly matches your natural hair color. 100% gray coverage can easily match with any shade, even professional salon colors.
- Its quick precision applicator makes the touch-up process fast and easy and covers 100 percent grays.
- It provides seamless, beautiful, and no-uneven touch-ups from roots to tips.
- The product is available in a range of different shades, making it easier for you to pick the color that perfectly matches your natural hair color.
- It is incredibly durable and easy to apply.
6. Clairol Nice & Easy
Clairol Nice Easy is one of the best professional hair colors for lighter hair due to its outstanding gray coverage.
This hair color is available in forty-plus shades, ranging from blonde to black. It gives multidimensional, natural-looking color regardless of what shade you choose, closely resembling the natural, uncolored hair dimensions.
When applying Clairol, make sure to keep a gap between four to six weeks between each coloring session. The hair color is readily available at grocery stores, drug stores, and departmental stores.
- It is available in forty-plus shades.
- The hair color is multidimensional – just like you.
- It is a stress-free product, so you can stress less to stop the development of gray hair.
- Every box of the hair color includes CC+ (ColourSeal Conditioner) for added shine and softness.
- It provides 100% gray coverage and lasts up to three weeks.
7. Umberto Beverly Hills U Color
This semi-permanent hair color has received incredibly great reviews from customers. This semi-permanent hair color gel offers rich and vibrant colors.
Another best thing about Umberto Beverly Hills U Color is most of its shades don’t include ammonia.
However, if you choose a blonde shade, it contains a minimal amount of ammonia, except that all of its shades have an equalizer to balance the color absorption. It is available in 20-plus shades, ranging from blonde to black.
- It’s available in more than twenty different shades.
- All of its shades include an equalizer that balances the color absorption for an even, beautiful color from roots to tips.
- You’ll get everything you need in one sachet packet: developer, color, and equalizer.
- The equalizer penetrates hair to lock in color, conditioning, and shine for an extended period.
A Comparison of 7 Best Professional Hair Colors to Cover Gray
|Product||Ammonia/Peroxide||Gray Coverage||Shades Availability||Unique Ingredients||Side Effects|
|L’Oréal Paris Excellence Crème||Yes||100%||38||ceramide, pro-keratin complex, and collagen||Allergies (itching)|
|Elgon Moda and Styling Hair Color||Yes||100%||75||Silk fibers, synthetic polymers, antioxidants||Ammonia % can damage hair if used more often|
|Revlon ColorSilk||No||100%||41||3D Gel Technology||Toxic ingredients that can release formaldehyde if used more often|
|Zotos AGEbeautiful Permanent Liqui-Crème||No||100%||62||silk protein, keratin peptide, melanin, and condition agent||Makes hair dry|
|L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Rescue Coloring Kit||Yes (Low ammonia)||100%||20+||Conditioning and aromatic scent||Temporary hair loss|
|Clairol Nice & Easy||No||100%||56||ME+ to reduce the allergies risk||Makes hair dry|
|Umberto Beverly Hills U Color||No (Except blonde shade)||100%||20+||Fragrance/scent||Itchy scalp if used more often|
Ammonia/Peroxide: Most of the hair colors contain ammonia/peroxide. Exposing your hair to the chemical can cause hair to break easily, lose luster, and hair fall.
Gray Coverage: All the above-stated hair colors cover gray hair 100 percent and make the hair shinier and softer.
Shades: Each hair color mentioned above is available in many different shades. It makes it easy to find a color that perfectly matches your natural hair color.
Ingredients: Every hair color contains ingredients that are good for hair nourishment.
Side Effects: Most hair color contains chemicals and other harmful ingredients that can damage or cause allergic reactions. So, it is essential to find a hair color with no or a minimal amount of chemicals.
Buyer’s Guide to Select the Best Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray
Picking the best professional hair color to cover gray is not as easy as it seems. Before finding the best color, you have to consider what suits you and what doesn’t.
1. Look for the Appropriate Formula
Firstly, you have to evaluate the percentage of gray. It will help you to find the best product you want to buy. If the gray hair percentage is between 10% and 50%, you can go for semi-permanent or demi-permanent hair color. Results of these products will fade with every shampoo.
However, if the gray hair percentage is 60% or more, your best pick is a permanent hair color. While you are buying a permanent hair color, make sure that it guarantees 100% gray coverage.
2. Look for Alternatives to Dark Hair Color
Secondly, colors that are too dark make your hair feel thicker and heavier, while the lighter colors emphasize textures and make your hair feel less heavy. It is also easier to correct light hair color than dark one if you make a mistake.
So, if you have only a few gray hairs, choosing a brown palette like light chestnut brown or medium brown is a good pick. However, if you have more gray hair than black, you can go for lighter shades.
3. Your Skin Tone
Thirdly, regardless of what hair color you will choose, it should show off your complexion. While choosing the hair color that best complements your skin tone, you have to determine whether you have warm or cool undertones.
It is simple, For a warm complexion, go for warm tints – you can opt for dark brown or icy blond. But if you have cool undertones, it is recommended to go for warm hues of brown or blonde.
4. Color of your Eyes
It is possible always to be original and break the rules. If you want the most natural look possible, your eyes’ color is another factor that you’ve to consider in finding the best professional hair color to cover gray.
If you have dark or brown eyes, chestnut or brown will emphasize the eyes. Moreover, you should avoid shades that are too light. If you have green or blue eyes, red or blonde colors create a delightful combination.
5. Think About the Degree of the Change
Another essential factor before selecting a hair color that you have to consider is to think about how drastic the change is going to be.
Are you considering a more drastic change or just going a shade darker or lighter? If you’re considering going from blonde to black, you will need to have regular touch-ups every four or six weeks to balance that look.
However, if you want only a subtle change, like going a shade darker or lighter than your natural hair color, you will not have to worry much about maintenance. It is always a good idea to go for a color within one or two shades of your natural hair color.
Reviewing these elements will help you to find a highly flattering hair color. Moreover, the perfect hair color will also brighten your face, enhance your skin tone, and make your hair look better than before.
How Frequently Should You Apply Professional Hair Color to Cover Gray?
We’ve all experienced a time when we want a change. Regardless of whether you are not satisfied or bored with your current look, changing hair color is the simplest way to mix things up to feel renewed.
However, the primary question you may be wondering about is how frequently you can apply professional hair color to cover gray?
I highly recommend four to six weeks between hair coloring sessions. However, it is also essential to read the instructions labeled on your hair coloring kit to get the best possible results.
Moreover, giving your hair sometime between colorings will help keep your hair from becoming weak and dry.
All the hair colors listed above are incredibly popular among people who want to cover gray hair to look younger. You can compare each of these to find the one that lasts longer and perfectly matches your natural hair color.