Many times, we think if there exists an alternative for a tool which would work the same way as the original tool does. This question arises in case of heat guns and hair dryers too. Can a hair dryer be used in situations when we don’t have a heat gun handy?
What are the similarities and differences that both have? When should we use a heat gun and when should we not? All these questions come up in a lot of minds and that’s why you are here as well. Well, to answer all your questions, we have listed out all the possible explanation, similarities and differences that we could figure out.
Read on to dwell deeper into the heat world!
Can you use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun?
Few cases where a heat gun is used for tasks where low temperatures are required, then hair dryer can be used instead of a heat gun.
Tasks which require the use of a heat gun but at very low temperatures include:
- Peeling off stickers from the wall
- Melting wax or crayons
- Defreeze food items from the fridge at home
- Dry half wet clothes
- Dry half wet shoes
The above tasks need a temperature of about 120-150 C which is a lower temperature range of a heat gun and the highest temperature range of hair dryer is 120-150 C, so these tasks can be alternatively be done using a hair dryer.
Hair dryer vs Heat Gun
If we talk about the basics then their body shape, their function and control are pretty similar. They both have same two elements – a fan and a heating coil.
Although they work on the same principle of heat, there are quite a lot of differences that exist between them.
|Hair Dryer||Heat Gun|
|Application: To dry the hair and style it sometimes.||Application: Removing paint from vehicles and shrink wrapping objects|
|Maximum Temperature : 150 C||Maximum Temperature : 700 C|
|As it is designed to dry out hair, the hot airs coming out of the hair dryer is not that concentrated or in a continuous flow.||They are designed for high end application of heat and so have a concentrated flow of hot air|
|Material : The hair dryers are made out of plastic and ceramic to withstand low temperatures||Material : The heat gun is designed using similar material of ceramic but has nozzle to protect the object from dry contact of the hot air. It also has external strands to help store it, when not in use.|
|It is less efficient as the air is scattered.||They are more efficient as their air is not scattered|
|It cannot burn the surface of the work piece||If used for a long time, it can burn surfaces of the work piece.|
What can I use instead of a heat gun?
There are a few alternatives that can be used instead of a heat gun. For temperature ranges of 120-150 C, a blow dryer would do a good job. For higher temperature ranges, you could go for the household irons or a blow torch that is used by plumbers to heat adhesive tape.
One more very similar alternative is a pneumatic heat kit which is a lot like heat gun and the only difference is that this tool uses compressed air source.
For works like bending pipes and plastics, you could go for glow rings as well.
When to use Hair dryer, but not Heat gun?
The hair dryer doesn’t actually emit hot air as the temperature is so low; it actually gives off air to accelerate the process of evaporation of water from your hair.
Hair dryers were originally made for hair salons and drying hair quickly. Fast hair dryers do the job even quicker but these hair dryers are being used for other tasks (including the previous tasks that has been mentioned in the start of the article) as well such as:
- Removing wrinkles from clothes
- Dry off wet nail polish or defrost frozen things
- Dry the washed vegetables
And so on. Basically, hair dryer can be used at places where there is a need to evaporate water from any surface at low temperatures. For few tasks, hair dryers can certainly be used instead of a heat gun like melting wax or removing the labels from the back of a product. But do not use these products for a long time as they might get destroyed after being overheated.
Top 3 Hair Dryers
1. JOHN Ionic Hair Dryer
- POWERFUL 2200 WATT -- Keep Drying & Styling Faster by Salon Hair Dryer w/ 33000rmp AC Turbo Motor
- TOURMALINE CERAMIC IONIC -- Keep Hair Healthy, Smooth, Soft and Shiny, AWAY FROM Static and Frizz
- SNAP-ON NOZZLES -- Keep Salon Look by Blow-out Curls / Waves / Straight,etc with Snap-on Styling Nozzles, AWAY FROM Auto-off, Fly-off,etc
- THE SWITCH LOCATION -- Keep Balance & Comfort to Hold the Ergonomic Handle for Drying and Styling Away From Sudden Changes of Temperature or Airflow
- STRONG,SAFE & WARRANTY -- Keep Away From Fragile & Melts by Impact Resistant Materials and Safe to Use with the ALCI Plug. 12-Month Warranty -- Free Replacement instead of Repairment for Defectives, Lack of Workmanships or other Quality Issues. Keep Confidence to Use this Hair Blow Dryer with No Worry
2. Remington D3190 Damage Protection Hair Dryer
- Damage Protection Hair Dryer for Shiny, Healthy Hair
- 3X More Protection with Advanced Coating Technology
- Healthier Hair with Proprietary Micro Conditioner Technology
- 1875 Watt for Fast Drying Power
- Ceramic + Ionic + Tourmaline Grill for Faster Drying with Less Frizz
- Power: 60 Hertz; 125 VAC
3. CHLANT 2000W Professional Salon Hair Dryer
- ✅2000 Watt Professional Hair Dryer -- CHLANT hair blow dryer adopt powerful AC motor, can be reach 2000W at 110V, Provides high airflow and suitable heat to blowing your hair dry quicker.
- ✅High Concentration Ion -- CHLANT ionic hair dryer with Negative Ionic Technology, emiting massive negative ions to eliminate frizz makes hair moister, smoother, protect hair from dull or damaged.
- ✅Unique Additional features -- CHLANT salon hair dryer with built-in temperature probe and display, 8.2 FT long cord and US ALCI safety plug ( UL Approved, ETL certified,125V 60HZ ),if short circuit or leakage of electricity happens, Leakage protection will be activated automatically.
- ✅3 Heat 2 Speed Settings & 3 Nozzle Attachments-- CHLANT hairdryers have 3 Heat Settings (Low/Medium/High), 2 Air Speeds Setting (Soft/Fast) , Cool Shot Button and additional Diffuser & 2 Concentrator Nozzle Attachments. whether you have short, curly, or super thick hair, offer styling customization for all hair types and textures.
- ✅What You Get -- CHLANT 8991 hair dryers, 1 Diffuser, 2 Concentrator Nozzles, user manual and 30 days money back and 1-year warranties are guaranteed. Any questions, please contact us, we will reply you at the first time.
When to use Heat gun, but not Hair dryer?
If you are thinking of using a heat gun on hair, then it is a big no-no as it can cause the hair to singe and burn. Heat guns are best for tasks which require very higher temperatures such as melting or defrosting large products. Heat guns are typically used for the following tasks:
- Defrosting pipes which need 1000 F
- Removing paint from vehicles where a temperature of 750 F is needed
- To mould plastic or bend plastic which needs around 300 F
- Drying the paint which requires 250-300 F
- Defrosting fridges or breaking frozen locks which need 300-400 F
And so on. So basically, heat guns can only be used when there is a need for high temperature tasks. Heat guns should be handles with care as the high temperature can cause severe burns when not used with care. It is popularly used to scrape off paint and shrink wrapping ( wrapping a sheet pf plastic) around objects.
Top 3 Heat guns
SEEKONE Heat Gun 1800W Heavy Duty Hot Air Gun Kit
2. Heat Gun Dual Temperature Settings, PRULDE N2190 1500W Hot Air Gun
3. NoCry Electric Heat Gun Kit
- POWERFUL MOTOR WITH ADJUSTABLE HEAT SETTINGS - The 1500W motor generates enough hot air for almost any project - and you can switch the temp between the low setting of 662℉ and high of 1022℉ with a single push of a button.
- 4 MULTI-PURPOSE SNAP-ON ATTACHMENTS INCLUDED - Perfect for shrink wrapping, paint and adhesive removal, soldering and desoldering, heat-shrinking PVC tubing, heating frozen pipes, loosening rusted bolts, preparing the grill / BBQ, various automotive and craft projects (vinyl wrapping, embossing, welding plastic) - we could go on.
- AUTO THERMAL PROTECTION AGAINST OVERHEATING - In case your work station isn't well ventilated and the tool is about to overheat, the heater automatically shuts off until it's cool enough for safe work. Plus, the burn-in only occurs once for 10 sec, while most other models can smoke for 1-3 min at a time.
- FLAT BACK STAND DESIGN - The heat gun can be placed on its back to cool down or to use with both hands free while you work (like when welding or bending plastic, and shrink wrapping anything, for example) - without compromising safety.
- 4 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY. The NoCry Heat Gun comes with a 4 year limited warranty, covering you in case there's an issue. But If it simply isn't what you needed, contact us within 30 days of purchase, and we'll issue you a quick refund, or send you another one of our products - up to you.
When can you use either Hair dryer or Heat Gun?
There are hardly any tasks where you could use both interchangeably. But the high end temperature of hair dryer and the low end temperature of a heat gun are more or less the same that is 150 C. So there are few tasks where you could carefully make use of the hair dryer.
- If you live in a humid area, then a hair dryer might come handy to set the plastic on the windows.
- Hair dryers can also be used to melt crayons. You could always melt it and make a unique color out of it.
- Sometimes, the adhesive tapes stick to the walls or products and do not easily come off. In those cases, hair dryer or a heat gun, anything can be used to take it off.
- Other tasks can include removing stickers from the wall or from the back of items or melt wax.
Who should you use neither Hair dryer nor Heat gun?
People who are not experienced with using heat guns shouldn’t use heat guns at all as the high temperatures can burn their skin if mishandled. It should also be kept away from children.
Hair dryers although harmless in most cases can heat up if switched on for a long time. In that case, it can burn the hand and can cause electric shocks to children.
If the heat application demands for a temperature lower than 100 C, then using a hair dryer is not advisable in such cases.
- You can definitely not melt paint using a hair dryer so they can’t be used in such cases. Heat guns shouldn’t be used for tasks which involve lesser temperatures than 200 C. Their lowest temperature is 150 C but it is better if you use it for temperatures above 200-250 C.
- Heat guns shouldn’t be used for applications that need temperature higher than 800 C as it won’t be effective at all.
- When the temperature range of working goes out of their bounds then, neither of them are to be used.
Prolonged uses for both can result into damage so switch it off after using.
While there is no clear answer to if we can use heat gun and heat dryer for similar tasks but we tried to list a few tasks that you can try with.
Just like hair can’t be dried using a heat gun, shrink wrapping cannot be done using a hair dryer. Both work in their temperature ranges and cannot be used in place of each other for mostly all the tasks.
We tried to write a detailed explanation. Hope you found your answers.