If you have coarse curly hair, you will need a wave grease to get started on your waving journey. A wave gel or grease will help lay your hair down into the wave pattern, and it also helps to preserve the pattern.
Wave grease is exactly what it sounds like, hair pomade that is specially formulated to lay your curls down on your scalp to form waves. You can have waves in your hair without any grease, but it is much easier to keep the waves laid down on your head with pomade.
The grease ensures that the waves do not move or get deformed easily, and it also helps hold all the hair strands together, keeping your hair tightly packed on your scalp, giving more definition to your waves.
List of Top 5 Wave grease Products for Coarse Hair
- WaveBuilder Natural Wave Pomade
- Ocean View Deep Waves Pomade
- DRIP Strong Hold Pomade
- WaveBuilder Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter
- SoftSheen-Carson Sportin’ Waves Maximum Hold Pomade
Editor’s Choice: The Best Wave Grease for Coarse Hair
- ✔STRONG HOLD- Stylez by Roc DRIP has a long lasting, zero-residue hold that can rival any brand in the business.
- ✔DIVERSITY- Can be used in any texture hair as a Styling Gel/pomade, a wave grease, or even edge control.
- ✔SCENT- A high quality, one of a kind smell. Sure to attract noses from all directions
- ✔CULTURE- Older brands are not up to date with the culture. We bring hip products to capture that hip hop style
- ✔ALL ABOUT YOU- Stylez by Roc is dedicated to providing quality efficient products to our customers.
After careful consideration of all the factors that are important for a wave pomade, we choose DRIP Strong Hold Pomade as the best Wave grease in our list.
The strong hold that it provides is great for any type of hair, but it is especially good for coarse hair, even though it is the hardest to style.
It is made up of all natural ingredients, and it is also water based, which means it is easy to wash out and it does not leave any residue on your hair.
This grease has a nourishing formula made with Argan oil, which is very good for your scalp. You can use this pomade for all stages of waving, whether you are a beginner or you are wolfing. We highly recommend this wave grease to everyone.
Top 5 Best Wave Grease Products for Coarse Hair
1. WaveBuilder Natural Wave Pomade
WaveBuilder Natural Wave Pomade is specifically made for the coarsest and curliest hair, to help your hair lay down on your head perfectly.
This wave grease is made up of all-natural ingredients, and it is water-based, which means you can easily wash it out with just water.
WaveBuilder Natural Wave Pomade not only helps hold down your waves, it also helps build waves from scratch.
To use it as a pomade, just take a little bit of the wave grease and spread it on your hair, before brushing your hair. If you are building waves on your hair, keep using it regularly before a thorough brushing session.
Key benefits of WaveBuilder Natural Wave Pomade:
- This wave grease has a superior hold, which means it will lay your waves down easily and effectively.
- Its water-based formula is great for those who don’t like greasy hair.
- WaveBuilder Natural Wave Pomade helps keep your scalp healthy.
- This wave grease does not cause any build-up on your scalp.
2. Ocean View Deep Waves Pomade
Ocean View Deep Waves Pomade has a superior hold formula that lays down even the coarsest hair textures and helps define your waves.
It is made with vitamins, minerals, and beeswax, all of which are good ingredients that are beneficial for the health of the scalp.
Ocean View Deep Waves Pomade is a great pomade for everyone, whether you are just getting started with your waves or you are wolfing for a long time. With the help of this pomade, you will surely achieve waves that look amazing.
Key benefits of Ocean View Deep Waves Pomade:
- This wave grease does not leave any residue on your hair.
- Ocean View Deep Waves Pomade gives your waves a shiny sleek look.
- It has a gel texture and it is water-based, which means it washes out very easily.
- You only need a tiny amount of the pomade to get great results.
3. DRIP Strong Hold Pomade
One of the best new wave pomades out there is the DRIP Strong Hold Wave Grease. Its strong hold formula makes it a really good choice for those with coarse and hard-to-style hair.
DRIP Strong Hold Pomade is made with natural ingredients, which causes no build-up or greasiness.
It has a gel texture, and it gives your waves a shiny look, but it does not cause any build up in your hair. It has a pretty good smell, which is sure to attract some attention.
Key benefits of DRIP Strong Hold Pomade:
- Everyone loves the DRIP Strong Hold Pomade for its amazing hold. It is not only pomade for waves; it can also be used as an edge control or a styling gel.
- It washes out very easily with just water, no shampoo is required.
- DRIP Strong Hold Pomade is made with nourishing natural ingredients, which are good for your hair and scalp.
- This wave grease does not make your hair greasy and it does not cause any build up.
4. WaveBuilder Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter
WaveBuilder Cocoa and Shea Wave Butter is an all-natural wave grease that is really good for coarse hair as it works as a moisturizer for your hair.
This wave grease has a creamy formula, which should be used for brushing your waves. The main purpose of this grease is to keep your hair nourished and make your waves look nice and shiny.
WaveBuilder Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter is a water-based formula that is easy to wash out, and it will not leave any residue on your hair.
Key benefits of WaveBuilder Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter:
- Its nourishing formula is great for your hair as well as your scalp.
- WaveBuilder Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter helps maintain healthy waves. It also helps build waves from scratch.
- The water-based formula is easy to use, and it doesn’t feel greasy on your hair.
- You only need a little bit of this cream to get the maximum benefits for your hair.
5. SoftSheen-Carson Sportin’ Waves Maximum Hold Pomade
SoftSheen-Carson Sportin’ Waves is a pomade that is made to have extreme hold. It works on all kinds of hair, but especially well for coarse hair, as it is the hardest to style.
SoftSheen-Carson Sportin’ Waves Maximum Hold Pomade gives your waves a beautiful definition and it keeps the waves laid down on your head firmly.
This pomade has petroleum in it, which is a heavy grease, so your hair will feel greasy if you use this, however, it does not cause any build-up or flakiness.
Key benefits of SoftSheen-Carson Sportin’ Waves Maximum Hold Pomade:
- Made for maximum hold, this pomade is great for all types of hair, even those which are hard to style.
- SoftSheen-Carson Sportin’ Waves Maximum Hold Pomade gives your waves a shiny look.
- This wave grease helps to keep your hair soft.
Comparison of the 5 Wave Grease Products listed above for Coarse Hair
|WaveBuilder Natural Wave Pomade
|Ocean View Deep Waves Pomade
|DRIP Strong Hold Pomade
|WaveBuilder Cocoa & Shea Wave Butter
|SoftSheen-Carson Sportin’ Waves Maximum Hold Pomade
How to Select the Best Wave Grease for Coarse Hair?
- Hold: The main thing you need to look for in a wave grease is its hold. Generally, it is a good idea to get high-hold wave grease for coarse hair, but a medium hold is fine as well. The hold of a pomade determined how well it will stick to the hair and how long it can keep your hair styled.
- Residue: A lot of hair gels and pomades tend to leave residue on the scalp, it could easily make your hair look dirty and also cause irritation to the scalp. Therefore always look for wave grease that does not leave residue on your hair, it will make sure that your curls don’t have any build-up. Some wave grease that is not water-based will feel greasy on the hair, but that is not to be worried about. You can still shampoo it out later on.
- Shine: Wave grease is not just to hold your hair down, it is also there to define your waves and make them look awesome. So always look for a wave grease that makes your waves look shiny and sleek.
- Moisturizer: Some hair pomades also double as a hair moisturizer. Not all wave grease will do it, but a majority of wave creams have moisturizing properties that will soften your coarse hair and keep it healthy.
Wave grease is crucial for beginners who are starting their hair-waving journey. It helps lay down the hair nicely and keeps it that way so that you don’t lose your progress easily. Paired with a good waving brush and a silk durag, wave grease can help you achieve amazing waves.
All the wave grease products listed above are of good quality, and they are loved by both beginners as well as experts. So now that you know everything about wave grease and pomades, it’s time for you to take your pick.