Managing oily hair can be frustrating and tiresome. The hair doesn’t let go of the oil even after multiple washes. Your scalp starts secreting oil just after a day of washing, dampening your hair which gives you a sleek look. This sleek look might not be everybody’s favorite thing to look at in the mirror.
Most of the oil hair problems are related to the scalp and can be treated by the right shampoo. Choosing a shampoo when you are unaware of how those shampoos work can be little confusing.
You need to look out for specifications and chemicals used in the shampoo, so that they don’t end up damaging your hair more than ever.
A lot of shampoos have extra oils and might infuse your hair with the same. This might be one of the reasons why you can’t get rid of that persistent oily hair every other day.
Reasons for oily hair
Your skin is full of pores. Even your scalp. These pores are connected to sebaceous glands which secrete sebum – natural oils. This particular enzyme is essential to keep your hair soft, silky and maintained.
Sometimes, this gland gets out of control and starts producing sebum in huge amounts. This results in oily and greasy hair. What can be the possible reasons behind for sebum to lose control? Let’s find out:
- Humid environments : If the weather around you is mostly humid, then you tend to have oily hair and skin. High percentages of humidity send your sebaceous glands into a crazy mode and they start producing more oil.
- Hormones : Hormonal balances are the reasons behind your skin and hair acting oily lately. The glands go into overdrive during puberty, menopause, pregnancy or change in medications.
- Stress : The reason oily hair has knocked on your door might be that stress knocked in before it did. Stress causes our body to release cortisol which aggravates the release of sebum.
- Skin conditions : Diseases like eczema, psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis cause oily hair and skin.
- Too much Brushing : Hair experts recommend regular brushing of hair to redistribute the oils from the roots to the end. But this might make your hair oil up if you have continuous sebum release.
- Using too much shampoo : Too much of any hair product can cause buildup and block the pores which might result into sebaceuous glands producing oils as a cover.
- Heat : Regular use of blow-dryers and heat styling equipment rids the hair of oil and makes its dry. This can make the glands overtime and produce more oil than required.
Now that you know, which one of the above is making your hair go haywire, it’s time to find a solution!
What kind of shampoo is suitable for oily hair?
There are all sorts of customized shampoo for oily hair available in the market. These kinds of shampoos are different than regular shampoos.
- Some of them contain stronger surfactants to remove the excess sebum from your hair effectively. These shampoos come with lesser conditioning ingredients in comparison to the one which are for dry hair.
- Shampoos containing extra mineral oils and moisturizing solution are a strict no-no for washing greasy hair. Using a dry shampoo can come to your rescue sometimes.
Are you ready to witness the winners of the hair game?
If you’re wondering about the budget, then trust me. No matter how oily hair is, there is a shampoo out there for everyone to make their hair happy.
Top 15 Best Shampoos for oily hair
1. Tea Tree Special Shampoo
This product launched by Tea tree salons, enriched with lavender and peppermint is a delight to the scalp. The tea tree oil present in the shampoo cur through the extra sebum produce and rid the scalp of the impurity buildup immediately, leaving behind silky, shiny and scented hair. It also restores the volume of the hair.
- Completely Vegan
- Safe for colored or highlighted hair
- Paraben free so that hair remain damage free
2. L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
The ingredient list of the product reveals the benefits of using it in one glance. Salicylic acid exfoliates and 3 layers of clays give 48 hours of promised protection from oil. This shampoo revives the limp oily roots and hydrates the lengths to make hair look fresher than ever. One of the clinically tested, re-balancing shampoos by L’Oreal.
- Hydrating formula
- Up to 48 hrs of protection
- Re-balances roots by 3 layer clay formula
- Flowery smell
- Gives amazing results for dry ends
3. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo
This shampoo formulated with chemical like sodium laureth sulfate make sure your hair lather and banish any residue left by oil or hair products on your scalp. It deeply cleanses the scalp. You can go without washing for almost a week after using this product.
- Boosts up volume of hair
- Clarifying formula
- Color safe for highlighted locks.
4. Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo, 11 oz.
Say No to bad hair days with this lemon infused organic shampoo. Eradicates The oily buildup easily using a plant based formula. Ingredients like lemon essential oils and proteins help in effectively getting the oil out of the hair. Cleanses deeply and revitalize the roots.
- Paraben free
- No harsh chemicals or GMO
- Doesn’t have phthalates or sulfates
- Synthetic colors and fragrances are not used
- Purely Organic
5. American Crew American Crew Daily Shampoo
Designed especially for men’s hair, it perfectly battles the excess oil production from the scalp with the help of a chemical called zinc pyrithione. Regularly washing with this shampoo will stop dandruff buildup and leave behind a tingling scalp. Extracts like sage and chamomile give extra shine and reduce bacteria.
- Protects colored hair
- Can also be used by normal scalps
- Improved formula
- Reduces bacteria and dandruff buildup
- Restores volume
6. Consider OGX’s
This shampoo as your hair’s best friend. Its Dehydrating and re-balancing formula help remove excess oil and nourish hair at the same time. From straight to curly hair, they can look after any type of hair. Be it, thick annoying hair or sleek limp hair, this one comes to the rescue.
- Dehydrating solution for dry ends
- Prevents split ends
- Suitable for any texture of hair
- Irresistible smell and bouncy locks
7. Philip Kingsley One More Day Dry Shampoo 6.76 oz by Philip Kingsley
It’s always good to be double sure. It will take only few minutes for this dry shampoo packed with sulfates and zinc to soak up all the impurities and oils from your hair and give you a shiny and refreshing look. If you have found your savior shampoo, then this can act as a shield to save you from the efforts from washing your hair early.
- Dry shampoo
- Sulfate free
- Colour safe
8. Biotin Shampoo for Hair Growth and Volume
Save your locks from the oil demon using the biotin shampoo specifically designed for thin hair. It not only cleans sebum from your hair but also boosts up your hair density using their special thickening natural oils which also improve the texture and strength, stimulating hair follicles at the same time. Anti-hair loss properties and power to balance the oily hair and scalp, both make it a must buy.
- Good for any type including curly hair
- Sulfate free solution for sensitive scalps and
- No harm to colored hair
- No breakage or split ends
- Brings back hair thickness and luster
9. Redken Brews Extra Clean Shampoo for Men
Find your best LOOK with Redkens brews shampoo which successfully removes oil and dirt from your scalp with the effective action of brewer’s yeast and orange zest, freeing it from the tangles of the dampness. It has been recommended by hair dressers to use with styling products as well.
- Strengthens hair
- Deep cleansing formula for men
- Adds bounce and softness
- Comes with the goodness of brewer’s yeast and orange zest.
10. Nexxus Color Assure for Color Treated Hair Shampoo
Any hair type can experience oily buildup. Sometimes, it can be due to recent hair coloring or highlighting. A shampoo which can assure the safety of the color and wash away the oil at the same time is the need of the hour. Try Nexxus Shampoo which restore the hair using quinoa and protein and remove the oily flakes from the hair.
According to the study and numerous experiments conducted by scientists in nexus, it was found that every hair type has different protein needs and nexus hair shampoos provide the best of products to ensure your hair quality to be the best.
Wash your hair with Nexxus hair shampoo to retain the peppiness of your color treated hair up to 40 washes and makes your hair look as vibrant as never before.
This shampoo cleanses your colored hair deeply and restores hair damages.
- Enhances exuberance, conditions and assures color
- Use of quinoa and protein ensures hair restoration
- Gives Damage free hair locks
11. Kerastase Specifique Bain Divalent
Keratase specifique shampoo is the ultimate choice for oily hair. Presence of Glycine and Vitmain B6 rinses your hair free of oil and removes it deeply from the scalp. It also provides nourishment and condition to your hair that it had been always deprived of.
- Gets rid of excess sebum on the scalp
- Formulated of Glycine and vitamin B6
- Repairs dry ends
- Gives silicon free hair
12. Global Keratin GKhair Dry Shampoo for Oily Hair
Global Keratin GKhair Shampoo is a perfect example of a boon in disguise for your hair. The keratins help in extracting all the impurities and the dirt lurking on your scalp and give your hair the treatment they deserve. Being a dry shampoo it is easy to use on non wash days. The product makes hair appear more lively and refreshed. Features:
- Prevents dandruff flaking due to its fruit extracts
- Ensures minimal hair damage
- Makes your hair fluffy
- Keratin restores the youthfulness
- Slows fading of highlights.
13. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Bamboo
Buy shea’s new African black soap shampoo to give your hair a complete makeover. No need for the pre-wash treatments or flaky and oily residue in your hair. Wash your hair thrice in a week with this sulfate free potion to soothe your scalp. The fair trade shea butter moisturizes the hair to the core, creating an ideal healthy environment for the hair.
- No parabens to save your strands from damage
- No phthalates and sulfate free
- No propylene glycols or any harmful chemicals
- No presence of mineral oils
14. Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo
What is better than a shampoo that can provide the goodness of natural ingredients to get the best out of your hair? In each wash filled with the extracts of maca root and tea tree oil, you are guaranteed to have oil free hair and scalp. Lemon peel extracts ensure deep cleansing of the scalp and soothe it.
- Vegan and Gluten-free
- No artificial fragrances
- All Natural extracts
- Silicone free
- Manageable and smooth hair after repeated use
15. The Seaweed Bath Co. Balancing Shampoo
As long as the name is, so is the list of vitamins packed in this small bottle. With 65+ vitamins and minerals, this sustainably harvested seaweed shampoo is the best solution for hair with oily scalp, dry hair, dandruff and split ends. It is safe for all hair types and the balancing formula purifies the scalp inside out.
- NO dyes or parabens
- Free of fragrances or gluten
- Vegan and animal cruelty free
- Recyclable bottle made from recycled plastic
Buyer Guide to select the best Shampoo for Oily Hair
Oily haired People are often seen looking for a shampoo that suits their hair type. To get rid of the stubborn oil, what you need is a shampoo which suits your scalp, and not your hair. The root of the problem here is – your scalp needs cleansing. Conditioner can take care of the rest.
- Clarifying shampoos packed with acids like salicylic and acetic can remove oil globules from your scalp. If your hair can’t take the harshness, then try using it twice a week only.
- Sulfate free shampoos are gentler and are unable to clean the scalp of oil. This may cause the buildup to worsen. Choosing a shampoo which contains sulfate can help in removing oil and dirt along with the lather. But use as per precautions.
- Tea tree oil infused shampoo exfoliates your scalp of the excess buildup and prevent excess production of natural oils.
- Look for shampoos which have the goodness of volumizing conditioner in them so that your ends don’t go dry.
- Stay away from shampoos labeled as- smoothing or hydrating. They tend to add more moisture to your scalp thus making the problem worse.
Every single person’s hair and scalp quality is different. Getting the perfect shampoo in one go thus becomes a difficult task for problems like these. A number of hit and trials should help you in arriving at one good shampoo. However, the list of above factors will fasten up the whole process.
The choice of your shampoo also depends on various other factors such as budget and availability. Hair-products should always be the ones which fit you the best in all aspects.