First, we need to understand what it means to have low porosity hair. The outermost layer of our hair is called the cuticle, it is made up of several overlapping layers of dead cells.
If these layers overlap too closely, then moisture and other ingredients cannot penetrate the hair shaft, and this is called low porosity. Low porosity hair is usually a genetic trait, so if your family members have low porosity hair, you might have it too.
If you have low porosity hair, your hair has a hard time absorbing water and other products, therefore if you are using the wrong products then your hair could become dehydrated and break easily.
The solution to getting beautiful hair, with low porosity hair, is not to use too much product, but to use the right kind of product. In this article, we will talk about how to choose the right products and guide you through all your options.
Table of Contents
- 1 12 Best Shampoos for Low Porosity Hair
- 1.1 1. SheaMoisture Hydrate & Repair Moisture Shampoo
- 1.2 2. DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser
- 1.3 3. Not Your Mother’s Coconut Milk & African Marula Tree Oil High Moisture Shampoo
- 1.4 4. tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo
- 1.5 5. Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Sulfate Free Shampoo
- 1.6 6. As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
- 1.7 7. Babassu Conditioning Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- 1.8 8. EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi Moisturizing Shampoo
- 1.9 9. Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- 1.10 10. LivSo Moisturizing Shampoo
- 1.11 11. MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo
- 1.12 12. BIOLAGE Ultra Hydrasource Shampoo
- 2 Buyer Guide to Select the Best Shampoo for Low Porosity Hair
- 3 Editor’s Choice: Best Shampoo for Low Porosity Hair
- 4 How to Shampoo Low Porosity Hair?
- 5 How often to wash your low-porosity hair?
12 Best Shampoos for Low Porosity Hair
1. SheaMoisture Hydrate & Repair Moisture Shampoo
Enriched with the goodness of Manuka Honey, Yogurt extract, and Mafura oil, this shampoo is perfect for low porosity hair.
SheaMoisture Hydrate & Repair Moisture Shampoo delivers the essential moisture that is required by the hair to maintain a healthy shine and strength.
It cleanses the hair thoroughly without leaving any residue, while also nourishing the hair from the root to the tip.
SheaMoisture’s products always include their fair trade Shea butter, which is extremely nourishing to the hair and the scalp.
Key features of SheaMoisture Hydrate & Repair Moisture Shampoo:
- This shampoo is excellent at cleansing the hair and keeping it looking fresh.
- The moisture rich formula hydrates your hair from within keeping your hair soft.
- SheaMoisture Hydrate & Repair Moisture Shampoo reverses the damage that has been caused due to dehydration of the hair.
- It is formulated without any harmful chemicals such as sulfates and parabens.
2. DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser
This Low lather shampoo is the perfect cleansing shampoo for low porosity hair. The formula includes no sulfates or parabens or silicone, which ensures that your hair does not have any excess build-up.
DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser moisturizes your hair thoroughly, while also cleansing your hair properly.
Using this shampoo will give your hair a natural shine and bounciness, while also keeping it soft and manageable.
Key Features of DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser:
- The low-lather formula makes sure that your hair isn’t stripped of its natural moisture.
- DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser is quite hydrating for your hair, so your hair will not experience breakage.
- The shampoo is formulated with no harmful chemicals, which help ensure that your hair does not get damaged.
- It helps control the frizziness in your hair.
3. Not Your Mother’s Coconut Milk & African Marula Tree Oil High Moisture Shampoo
An intensely moisturizing combination of Coconut oil and Marula tree oil protects the hair from damage and hydrates them thoroughly.
Not Your Mother’s Coconut Milk & African Marula Tree Oil High Moisture Shampoo cleanses the hair without leaving any residue behind, making it ideal for low porosity hair. It is extremely nourishing and hydrating, which keeps your hair looking shiny and soft.
Key features of Not Your Mother’s Coconut Milk & African Marula Tree Oil High Moisture Shampoo:
- No sulfates or parabens have been used to make this shampoo.
- Not Your Mother’s Coconut Milk & African Marula Tree Oil High Moisture Shampoo is rich in coconut oil, which is an extremely hydrating ingredient for dry hair.
- It also has glycerin, which is another ingredient that promotes hydration to the hair.
4. tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo
The tgin Moisture Rich Shampoo is infused with amla extracts and coconut oil. These ingredients protect your hair from damage and provide intense moisture to it.
tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo is specially formulated for dry hair, which makes it a perfect shampoo for low porosity hair.
It is free of harsh chemicals such as parabens and sulfates, which make sure that your hair does not get damaged any further.
Key features of tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo:
- It is infused with pro-vitamin B5, which helps reduce breakage.
- Coconut oil provides the hair with the required moisture, keeping it bouncy.
- tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo cleanses your hair thoroughly, ensuring no build up.
- This shampoo makes your hair soft and smooth.
5. Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Sulfate Free Shampoo
This hydrating shampoo has been specially formulated with Aloe vera juice, which provides moisture to the hair and replenishes dry hair.
Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Sulfate Free Shampoo is very good for low porosity hair, as it is extremely moisturizing. It is made with no harmful chemicals, ensuring your hair’s safety.
The black vanilla gives the product an amazing natural smell, which lingers on to your hair after your after use.
Key features of Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Sulfate-Free Shampoo:
- It is infused with Sweet Clover and Rose extract to give your hair a healthy shine.
- The hydrating formula makes the hair soft and manageable.
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Sulfate Free Shampoo is safe to be used on colored and bleached hair.
- Formulated with no harsh chemicals such as parabens and sulfates.
6. As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
This clarifying shampoo is infused with amla extracts and coconut oil which helps hydrate and strengthen your hair.
As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo is formulated with tangerine extracts which gently cleanses your scalp of any impurities.
It is the ideal shampoo for low porosity hair, as it helps preserve the moisture in your hair and prevent it from breakage. It revitalizes your hair, making it look shiny and soft.
Key features of As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo:
- It is safe for color treated hair.
- The shampoo effectively removes all dirt and impurities from your hair.
- As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo is free from sulfates, which ensure that your hair is not stripped of its essential moisture.
- Makes your hair shiny and soft to the touch.
7. Babassu Conditioning Sulfate-Free Shampoo
The Babassu Conditioning Shampoo, made with certified organic ingredients is an ideal shampoo for low-porosity and dry hair.
It is infused with the goodness of babassu oil, almond protein, and hibiscus extract, which help hydrate and nourish your hair deeply.
Babassu Conditioning Sulfate-Free Shampoo is very effective at removing impurities and dirt from the hair, which leaves the hair shiny and soft.
Key features of Babassu Conditioning Sulfate-Free Shampoo:
- This shampoo is ideal for curly hair types, which tend to get dry easily.
- It is formulated without any sulfate, which ensures that the moisture from the hair is not lost.
- Hibiscus extract promotes shine to the hair.
- Babassu Conditioning Sulfate-Free Shampoo is safe to be used on colored hair.
8. EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi Moisturizing Shampoo
This gentle cleansing shampoo helps clarify your scalp and removes excess buildup from your hair.
EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi Moisturizing Shampoo is formulated with nourishing Jojoba oil, which helps moisturize dry hair, making it an ideal shampoo for low-porosity hair.
The shampoo is also infused with Tiare flower and Tea tree oil, which promotes a healthy shine to your hair. It replenishes your hair, keeping it protected from future damage.
Key features of EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi Moisturizing Shampoo:
- It helps control the hair and scalp’s natural moisture balance.
- The shampoo will give your hair shine and smoothness.
- EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi Moisturizing Shampoo is free from sulfates, which ensures that your hair does not lose its elasticity.
9. Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
The Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo is enriched with Argan oil, which helps strengthen your hair from the roots.
Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo contains vitamins and antioxidants for nourishing and repairing the hair from within. It is excellent at moisturizing the hair, making it a good choice for low-porosity hair.
This shampoo is made without any harmful ingredients, which could strip your hair of its moisture. It gives your hair an exceptional shine while also keeping it soft and manageable.
Key features of Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
- Vitamin E is formulated into the product, which penetrates the hair giving it strength and structure.
- Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo is safe for colored and chemically treated hair.
- The shampoo helps control the frizziness of the hair.
- It is suited for all hair types including curly hair.
10. LivSo Moisturizing Shampoo
Formulated with hydrating coconut oil, this is one of the best shampoos for low-porosity hair. It creates a natural protective moisture barrier to the hair, which helps keep your hair hydrated and prevents it from breakage.
LivSo Moisturizing Shampoo is also enriched with shea butter which aids the process of hydration. It contains Glycolic acid, which is an exfoliant, that helps clean the scalp effectively, preventing itchiness and dandruff.
Key features of LivSo Moisturizing Shampoo:
- This shampoo effectively cleanses the scalp of any impurities as well as exfoliates it to remove dead skin cells.
- It is a sulfate free shampoo, which ensures the health of your hair.
- LivSo Moisturizing Shampoo is nourishing to the scalp.
11. MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo
The MIZANI True Texture Moisture Replenish Shampoo is an extremely hydrating shampoo, which is specially formulated for curly hair.
MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo has a hydrating formula, which enriches your hair with moisture and strengthens your hair’s natural moisture barrier.
This shampoo is excellent at removing excess product and other impurities from the hair and scalp, making it an ideal shampoo for low porosity hair.
Key features of MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo:
- It contains coconut oil, which is excellent at nourishing the scalp and hair.
- The sulfate free formula ensures your hair does not lose its natural curls.
- MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo makes your hair soft and bouncy.
12. BIOLAGE Ultra Hydrasource Shampoo
This Shampoo does exactly what it claims. It enriches your hair with moisture, with the power of the aloe plant.
BIOLAGE Ultra Hydrasource Shampoo nourishes dry hairs and brings them back to health, preventing further breakage.
This shampoo brings a healthy shine to your hair while making your hair soft and beautiful. It is perfectly suited for low porosity hair.
Key features of BIOLAGE Ultra Hydrasource Shampoo:
- This shampoo promotes a healthy shine to the hair.
- It is good for both natural as well as color treated hair.
- The shampoo is excellent at keeping frizziness and flyaways at bay.
- BIOLAGE Ultra Hydrasource Shampoo is free of silicone and parabens.
Buyer Guide to Select the Best Shampoo for Low Porosity Hair
- Hydrating ingredients: Low porosity hair usually does not absorb water very well, which causes the hair to become dehydrated and weak, which eventually leads to breakage. You need to look at the shampoo ingredients and see if it contains hydrating ingredients such as glycerin, honey, olive oil, aloevera, etc. These ingredients provide an extra boost of moisture to the hair, keeping your hair hydrated and healthy.
- Avoid protein-rich shampoos: Protein-rich shampoos are meant for hair that lacks protein, but low porosity hair can become even more repellant to moisture if a protein is added to it. Stay away from shampoos that claim to replenish the protein in the hair.
- Use a clarifying shampoo: Low porosity hair tends to have more product build up than usual. Since the hair does not absorb a lot of the products that are applied to it, it is important to cleanse your hair thoroughly with a clarifying shampoo at least once a month.
- Use a thinner formula: Thicker shampoos tend to leave some residue on to your hair, and as we already said, low porosity hair tends to have more build up than usual, so always try to use a shampoo that has a thinner formula and is made with lots of water in it.
Editor’s Choice: Best Shampoo for Low Porosity Hair
- ORIGINAL LOW-POO SHAMPOO: If you have wavy hair that needs weightless moisture, the Low-Poo is a must-have for body and frizz control. The mild lather shampoo is great for a thorough, yet gentle cleanse. This shampoo gives weightless moisture and soft, frizz-free waves. Low-Poo Original is great for all curl types. The mild lather is ideal for fine hair that needs a thorough, yet gentle cleanse.
- GENTLE CLEANSER SHAMPOO: This mild-lathering cleanser, made with gentle hops and soothing chamomile, cleans and hydrates the scalp and hair without stripping away the natural oils your curls need. Low-Poo leaves you with healthy-looking shine and bounce.
- HOW TO USE DEVACURL SHAMPOO: Wet your waves in the shower, apply the low-poo cleanser to your scalp and massage with your fingertips. As you begin to rinse, allow the water to help move the Low-Poo through the ends. Make sure to rinse thoroughly by massaging your scalp again as the water runs over your waves. When the shampoo is rinsed out, follow with DevaCurl Original Conditioner.
- HYDRATING FORMULA: Provides a dose of essential moisture that locks in hydration creating soft, manageable, and shiny hair with lots of bounce. The tropical scent of Starfruit & Mango is sunny and succulent.
- Dermatologist tested, non-irritating, free of SLS/SLES sulfates, parabens, and silicones.
Keeping in mind all the key factors required to treat low porosity hair, we chose DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser as the best shampoo for low porosity hair.
Its low-poo formula means that it does not create any excess product build up in your hair, while simultaneously cleansing your hair of any impurities.
The no sulfate formula is important in maintaining the structure of the hair, and its moisturizing formula makes it the best friend for dry hair.
It is loved by women with all types of hair, from straight to curly. It effectively hydrates each strand of hair, making it the ideal shampoo for low-porosity hair.
How to Shampoo Low Porosity Hair?
- The biggest problem with low-porosity hair is that it is very hard to get them wet. To combat it, always try to use lukewarm water, which helps soften the cuticles of your hair and open them up for absorption of products.
- Once you have wet your hair, take a small amount of your shampoo and glide it on to your scalp. Since low-porosity hair tends to have more build up than usual, you need to work the shampoo into the scalp as well as on the hair. Scrub gently with your fingers for about a minute, and then work the lather on your hair until your entire hair is covered.
- Take your time with the shampoo, because low porosity hair tends to take longer to absorb the products on it.
- After a minute or so, wash off the shampoo with lukewarm water, and rinse thoroughly. Wash a second time, to ensure no product is left behind.
- Washing your hair could leave it quite dry, therefore you need to apply a conditioner that is suitable for your hair. You can use a shower cap to lock in the moisture from the conditioner.
- After conditioning, you can either towel dry your hair or leave it to air dry completely. Avoid using a blow dryer as it can strip your hair of the moisture that you just put into it.
How often to wash your low-porosity hair?
With low-porosity hair, you want to wash your hair quite frequently, 2-3 times per week, especially if you use additional products on your hair. However, how often you wash your hair is largely up to you and your hair routine.
If you do not use any additional product except shampoo and conditioner, you probably do not need to wash your hair more than once a week, but if you like to style your hair with waxes and serums and other products, it is advisable that you wash your hair every 2 to 3 days.
For low porosity hair, it is best if you do not apply other products to your hair. Shampoo and conditioner are your best friend when it comes to low-porosity hair.
We have discussed everything you need to know about how to wash low-porosity hair. It is fairly easy, just keep in mind to look for a hydrating and clarifying formula, when it comes to shampoo. Instead of focusing on the quantity of the product, always focus on the quality.
The most important thing to remember about low porosity hair care is that you need to give each product some time to penetrate the hair, and you can also use mild heat to aid the process.
Now that you know how to take care of your low-porosity hair, it is time for you to choose your favorite shampoo from our list and get started.