There are plenty of oils that we use to make sure to keep our hair healthy. However, not all oils are equal since they have different functionalities. Some of them are known as moisturizing oils, and some are sealing oils.
This comprehensive post will outline everything about sealant oils and more importantly the best suitable sealants for natural hair.
What is sealing oil?
Sealant oil is an oil-based product that allows you to seal the hair shut. When moisturizing, we use the water-based product to infuse the hair with liquid, which boosts the hair’s strength and silkiness. However, this moisture can easily leave the hair due to applying heat products or naturally.
Oils have larger molecules than water, so they block the porous hair strands. It helps to prevent the water from penetrating the hair. Using the oils, we cover the outside of the hair to make it less porous and seal the hair.
It seals the hair and repairs the natural seal to provide double protection, helping to lock in the moisture twice as much. Moreover, unlike moisturizing oils, sealing oils cannot penetrate the hair shaft.
List of Top 7 Sealants for Natural Hair
Below is the list of top 7 sealants for natural hair. These sealants are excellent in locking in the moisture while also retaining that silky feel and healthy look.
Benefits of Sealing Oil for Natural Hair
Sealing your hair offers an array of benefits. Besides locking in all the moisture, the sealants also contain nutrients that are incredibly beneficial to keep your natural hair healthy.
Moreover, sealants also help eliminate or reduce frizz, tangling, increase length retention, and keep the hair soft. Although everyone’s hair is different and responds differently for most people, sealing is a necessity.
Maintaining healthy hair is most important regardless of if the hair is natural, relaxed, or transitioning. Sealing will help immensely in keeping your hair healthy
Top 7 Best Sealants for Natural Hair : Review
1. Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Since the roasting castor beans method was introduced in Jamaica, that is why the oil is known as Jamaican black castor oil.
Jamaican black castor oil is among the best sealants for natural hair that helps preserve or retain moisture. It is often used in cosmetic products, such as makeup, lotions, cleansers, etc., to promote hydration. Moreover, it is also beneficial for promoting hair and scalp health.
It also works as a stimulant to promote hair growth. Due to its high ash content, it has a light ashy aroma. Applying the oil to the hair roots makes the hair thick, while applying it to the tips softens the hair.
- It is versatile oil and can be used for multiple purposes.
- You can use it by mixing it with deep conditioners.
- Unlike other sealants, you can make it thin mixing with carrier oil so that it can penetrate the hair shaft.
2. Grape Seed Oil
The second-best sealant for natural hair on our list is grape seed oil. It is incredibly useful and light. It is a perfect option for people with thinner hair structure. The benefit of the grape seed oil is it is odorless.
If you are the one who prefers a bit of scent, you can add a few drops of lavender oil to it. Moreover, the oil also works as heat protectant due to its ability to withstand extreme heat.
Estheticians also use the oil because it is light, doesn’t clog pores, and absorbs quickly without leaving a greasy feeling. Furthermore, being favorite carrier oil, you can add it with other oils, such as jojoba oil, almond oil, avocado oil, etc.
- It gives hair a shiny look for a long time.
- Since it’s a byproduct, the cost is incredibly less.
- It contains vitamin E, which helps to prevent dryness, greasy feeling and balancing natural oil production.
- The oil also contains antioxidant content that promotes hair growth by enhancing the blood flow in the scalp.
3. Jojoba Oil
The third best sealant for natural hair on my list is Jojoba oil. The oil comes from a plant (Simmondsia Chinesis).
The oil contains vitamins B and E and other essential minerals, such as zinc and copper, essential for hair nourishment. It’s light and has a slightly nutty scent. It is mainly an excellent pick for people who have thicker hair.
Jojoba oil helps to moisturize the scalp while also an excellent remedy to prevent dandruff. For added protection against breakage, dryness, and split ends, you can add it to conditioners.
Since the oil is also an excellent product for strengthening the hair, it also helps prevent or decrease hair loss by promoting hair thickness.
- It contains vitamins B and E and minerals like zinc and copper that are great for nourishing hair and preventing hair loss and thinning.
- The oil is an excellent sealant for stimulating blood flow and retaining moisture.
- Its unclogging properties allow it to unclog the pores and penetrate deep into the scalp.
- Minerals like copper and zinc are also vital in sebum production. So, the presence of these minerals helps to stimulate the natural moisturizing mechanism.
4. Shea Butter
Indigenous to Africa, extracted from the shea nut tree, shea butter contains a high amount of vitamins A and E and cinnamic acid. The product is incredibly moisturizing for hair and scalp, so it is a good option for people with curly and coarse hair texture.
Shea butter is also one of the best sealants for natural hair as it helps to lock in the moisture to boost hair softness. Shea butter also prevents split ends and reduces dryness, while the presence of fatty acids strengthens the shine and reduce hair frizz.
Moreover, since shea butter has anti-inflammatory characteristics, it also reduces redness and scalp irritation due to its healing effects without blocking the pores.
- Thanks to its buttery thickness, it seals in the moisture incredibly well.
- Since it contains cinnamic acid, it reduces the inflammation in the scalp to prevent hair loss.
- It is a vitamin-rich product and encourages hair growth while also maintain the balance of natural oil production.
- The oil is a go-to pick for people who have curly hair.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is an extremely popular, sweet-smelling sealant for natural hair that has stormed to popularity in the past few years. The oil is incredibly thin and absorbs into the hair quickly. Using the oil moderately will help to keep the shine for a long time. Since it absorbs very quickly, it is an excellent pick for fine hair.
Moreover, coconut oil is also an excellent remedy that you can use to prevent protein loss to keep the hair healthy. The sealant is made up of lauric acid, giving hair a long, straight structure. Furthermore, applying coconut oil to your hair before washing it will protect hair from damage.
- Coconut oil helps to protect hair from sun damage.
- Since the oil has antimicrobial characteristics, so it could help treat dandruff.
- The oil also helps to prevent hair loss by keeping your hair in good health. Applying the oil before washing your hair will prevent hair damage.
6. Olive Oil
Olive oil is used for hair care for thousands of years. The oil is probably the most effective way to add shine, softness, and resilience. The primary components of olive oil include palmitic acid, oleic acid, and squalene. All these elements have rich softening characteristics.
Olive oil is an excellent pick for people with dry, thick hair because it keeps the hair moist and healthy. Moreover, the oil also weighs down the thicker hair and smooth the damaged or burned ends of your hair. Another benefit of using olive oil is it removes head lice.
Conditioning with olive oil is also possible without any harm. However, make sure that your hair is not dry enough and doesn’t require moisturizing treatment.
- Olive oil is excellent for keeping your hair moisturized. It is also helpful in reducing scalp irritation to prevent dandruff.
- The oil is also a great way to promote hair growth.
- Vitamin E present in the olive oil makes hair healthy and reduces hair loss. Massaging with olive oil daily also helps to prevent split ends problem.
7. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is yet another best sealant for natural hair. The gel is slightly watery and has a clear color. You can rub the gel on your scalp and hair to let it penetrate. Aloe vera gel will help to improve dry and damaged hair, and it also efficiently clean the hair shaft and keep them shinier, softer, and healthier.
Vitamins (A, C, and E) presents in the gel are great for promoting healthy cell growth. Moreover, it also contains B12 and folic acid, and both of these components are great for preventing hair loss. Since aloe vera has cooling properties, it is also used to protect skin from sun damage. It also means the gel can also be used to protect your hair from sun damage.
- Aloe vera gel efficiently cleans the hair shaft to reduce hair loss and promotes hair growth.
- Since the aloe vera gel includes vitamins like A, C, and E, it keeps the hair shiny and encourages healthy cell growth.
- Due to its cooling characteristics, it also repairs the damage caused by the sun to your hair.
Comparison of Top 7 Sealants for Natural Hair
|Best For||Components||Negative Effects||Heat Protection Ability?|
|Jamaican Black Castor Oil||Unruly, Damaged Hair.||Ricinoleic acid. Fatty acids (Omega 6 & Omega 9).||Oil buildup if used excessively.||Yes|
|Grape seed Oil||Dry, Dull, Brittle hair||Vitamin E||Itchy scalp.||Yes.|
|Jojoba Oil||Thicker, frizzy hair||Vitamin B, E, Zinc, Copper||Hyperemia (if used excessively)||Yes|
|Shea Butter||Curly, Coarse hair||Vitamin A, E, Cinnamic Acid||Strong scent that some people might not like.||Yes|
|Coconut Oil||Fine, dry, damaged, hair||Lauric acid, Myristic acid, and Caprylic acid.||Greasy, dull hair and oil build up (if used excessively)||Yes|
|Olive Oil||Dry, thick hair||palmitic acid, oleic acid, and squalene.||Do not use on dry hair that needs moisturizing treatment.||Yes|
|Aloe Vera Gel||Dry, damaged hair||Vitamin A, C, E, B12, Folic acid, Choline||No undesirable side effects.||Yes|
Buyer’s Guide to Select the Best Sealant for Natural Hair
Now, if you are considering buying the sealant for your natural hair, below, are the critical factors that you have to consider first before making a purchase.
1. Hair Type
The first and foremost factor to consider before buying the best sealant for natural hair is the hair type. It is incredibly helpful for determining your hair’s needs so that you can get the best sealant for them.
For dry hair:
If your hair is dry naturally, make sure to find a sealant with the ability to soak up by the strands. It will help to lock the natural moisture to allow you to get rid of frizzy and unmanageable hair. Moreover, make sure the sealant you have selected doesn’t only sit on top of the hair to make it greasy.
For oily hair:
For naturally oily hair, make sure to get something light and take care of the split ends of hair rather than increase the scalp’s oiliness. Also, make sure it should not be more potent than the natural oils or sebum produced on the scalp.
2. Scalp Requirements
After figuring out the hair type, switch your focus to your scalp. Try to figure out its needs that will help you to pick the best sealants for your scalp type accordingly. In this regard, considering the below factors is essential;
If your scalp is dry and itchy, it requires adequate hydration for maintaining the moisture balance. So, make sure to get nourishing oil that you can use as a topical treatment.
If you are a sufferer of acute dandruff or flaky scalp, using rich hair oil will help to keep the flakiness on the bay while also offering antimicrobial benefits.
3. Hair Texture
The third most essential factor in selecting the best sealant for natural hair is your hair’s texture. In this regard, following the below tips will help you get the perfect product.
If you’ve fine hair, you need to find a sealant, light on your scalp. It will not weigh your hair down, so the locks don’t look limp. Having such oils will also provide outstanding nourishing to each hair strand.
People who have thick, coarse hair, make sure to get something thicker to control the strands. Getting a rich sealant will help you in managing your frizzy hair and making it smooth and soft.
Editor’s Pick : Best Sealant for Natural Hair
- Strengthens hair follicles for strong, healthy, beautiful hair. The original and traditional dark Jamaican castor oil since 1992. Accept no substitutes!
- Adds sheen and luster to your hair with its natural reflective and moisturizing capabilities
- Creates a protective coating on the skin to seal in moisture
- Heals and repairs scar tissue.
- Supports nail growth by protecting the nail bed with antifungal properties
Although all the sealants mentioned above for natural hair are great for keeping your hair healthy and shiny, the best of them all is the Jamaican black castor oil. There are many reasons why I recommend using black castor oil. Some major benefits of the oil include;
- You no more need to worry about clogged pores and greasy smell since the oil is indeed worth it.
- It contains high levels of protein, vitamin E, and fatty acids. All of these components are vital when looking for the best sealants for your natural hair.
- Jamaican black castor oil not only hydrates the hair and retains moisture, but it also helps you to get rid of breakage and split ends.
- It can be used for any type of hair.
Sealing Oil Vs. Moisturizing Oil
In a nutshell, the primary difference between these two oil types is moisturizing oils are water-based, while the sealants are oil-based.
While moisturizing something, we need to wet it first. In this regard, moisturizers are what we use to add moisture to the hair. This process is the most effective way to prevent hair dryness and brittleness.
As I have mentioned above, not all oils are equal since some of them have larger molecules than others. Using oils with smaller molecules penetrate the hair to make it soft from the inside and to give the impression of moisturizing. These oils are thinner, and some examples include coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and sunflower oil.
Using these oils in large quantities will seal the hair, while moderate use will soak into hair to give a silky and smooth feel. On the other hand, oils with larger molecules like olive oil, argan oil, and avocado oil are far better sealants than oils with smaller molecules.
If you think your hair is getting dry, you need to moisturize it. Using water-based oils and keeping yourself hydrated will help you. Moreover, using a thinner oil like coconut oil is also a great way to seal in the moisture. Using the sealant without moisturizing will give you nothing but dryness.
|Sealing Oils||Moisturizing Oils|
|Sealing oils tend to be oil-based||Moisturizing oils tend to be water-based.|
|You don’t have to add any moisture.||You can add moisturizing oil into the conditioner to get that extra shine during winters.|
|They are used to lock in the moisture.||They are used to add moisture.|
|Since sealing oils cannot penetrate the hair shaft, they are useful for sealing in moisture.||Moisturizing oils penetrate the hair shaft, so they provide moisture rather than sealing it in.|
Using the sealant is the most effective way to lock in the moisture in your natural hair. Choosing the most appropriate sealant for natural hair will make the process easier for you to obtain a healthy look without your hair greasy and flat. Check out above listed best sealants and also buyer guide before you purchase the sealant for your natural hair.