Best Oils for Color Treated Hair | Top 5 Oils | Key Benefits & How to Apply these Oils
You would have spent hundreds of dollars getting your hair colored, and you don’t want it to fade away, but how do you really protect your hair color from fading?
The answer lies in a hair oil that is meant for color treated hair. We need to understand that the hair oil that protects your hair color is not the same as the nourishing oils meant for your scalp.
The oils we are talking about are mostly silicone-based oils, which are meant to seal in the cuticles of the hair.
Also called serum oils, these oils have been formulated to hydrate your hair and keep them moisturized while protecting it from outside humidity and other environmental factors like UV rays and heat.
Benefits of Using Oils for Color Treated Hair
- One of the primary benefits of using a serum oil for colored hair is that they coat the cuticle or the outer layer of your hair, preventing the color from escaping your hair strand, which helps keep your hair color vibrant for longer.
- Coloring your hair makes your hair strands weak, and makes them drier. The peroxide in hair dye is responsible for lifting up the cuticle of your hair, which helps the color molecules penetrate the hair strand and color your hair, however, this process leaves the outer layer of your hair strand vulnerable and leads your hair to lose moisture very easily.
- This is why applying oil to your hair just after washing your hair will hold the moisture in your hair and keep the strands hydrated for longer. This helps preserve the integrity of your hair and prevents them from breakage.
- Another issue a lot of people face while coloring their hair is the loss of shine and the straw-like appearance of the hair. Using a serum oil instantly creates shine on your hair and makes the hair strands softer to the touch.
List of Top 5 Oils for Color-Treated Hair
- Leonor Greyl Paris Huile Secret de Beaute Organic Oil
- Verb Ghost Hair Oil
- Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil
- OUIDAD Mongongo Oil Multi-use Curl Treatment
- Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Luster Lock Restorative Glossing Oil
How to Select the Best Oil for Colored Hair?
1. Moisture Retention
Any hair oil, whether it is for your scalp or hair, should be moisturizing and it should be able to hold the natural moisture in your hair.
When you color your hair, your hair cuticles are lifted and therefore they get damaged, which leads to dry hair that isn’t able to hold moisture inside for a long time.
To fight this, a hair oil should be able to seal in the cuticles on the hair and provide a protective barrier that does not allow moisture to leave the hair strands.
2. Protection from heat
A hair oil that is meant to treat colored hair should always be able to protect the hair from heat damage, whether it is from the sun or from a heat tool.
Colored hair is already quite dry and damaged, which makes them more susceptible to heat damage. Heat is also one of the main factors that can fade your hair color and make it look dull.
A serum oil is capable of sealing in the hair effectively, which protects it from heat, preventing any color loss as well as moisture loss.
3. Styling and Detangling
The oils for color-treated hair are formulated to not only keep your hair color intact, but it is also an excellent styling product, that is helpful for detangling your hair as well as styling it.
Most serum oils can be used as a leave-in conditioner or as a detangler, to make your hair look shiny and frizz-free.
They also help define your hair texture. Whether you have curly hair or straight hair, it will make your hair look lustrous and more defined.
Top 5 Best Oils for Color Treated Hair & Key Benefits
1. Leonor Greyl Paris Huile Secret de Beaute Organic Oil
Huile Secret de Beaute, made by Leonor Greyl, is a one-of-a-kind oil, which is the secret to beautiful skin and hair.
Made with organic ingredients, this oil is excellent for giving your hair a beautiful shine while also protecting it from sunlight, which makes it an ideal choice for color-treated hair.
It has a hydrating formula, and when applied to damp hair it gives an instant detangling effect and keeps your hair moisturized for a long time.
It helps preserve the color of your hair by forming a protective barrier that prevents UV damage and keeps your hair’s natural moisture inside.
Key benefits of Leonor Greyl Paris Huile Secret de Beaute Organic Oil :
- This oil helps to detangle your hair immediately after application.
- It can be used on both dry and wet hair for styling.
- Leonor Greyl oil helps preserve the color of your hair effectively.
How to apply Huile Secret de Beaute Organic Oiluse Oil on color-treated hair:
- To use the Leonor Greyl Paris Huile Secret de Beaute for detangling and styling your hair, take a small amount and distribute it evenly on the lengths of your damp hair. You can use a heat tool to style your hair or let the oil enhance your natural hair texture.
- To use it as UV protection, take a small amount of the oil and rub it on your dry hair before heading out into the sun.
2. Verb Ghost Hair Oil
Verb Ghost Oil is a lightweight oil formula that disappears after application, leaving your hair smooth and soft. It forms a layer around your hair strands protecting the color of your hair, as well as defending your hair from humidity and heat.
Enriched with the goodness of Moringa oil, bamboo extract, Soy protein and Vitamin F, this hair oil helps retain moisture in your hair and strengthens your hair from the inside.
This oil is a great choice for those with dryness caused due to color damage, as it helps rejuvenate dry hair and restore its shine. It is excellent at detangling your hair and making it more manageable.
Key benefits of Verb Ghost Oil:
- It can be used as a heat protectant for your hair, to help protect the color and shine of your hair.
- Vern ghost oil has a very lightweight formula, which does not make your hair feel greasy or weighed down.
- It not only protects your hair from the outside, the key ingredients actually penetrate the hair and restore its health from the inside.
- This oil helps control frizziness on your color-treated hair.
How to apply Verb Ghost Oil on color-treated hair:
- The best use of this oil is as a heat protectant, so just apply two or three drops of this oil on your damp hair before using a heat tool for styling your hair.
- You can also use this oil any time on dry hair to increase shininess and make your hair more manageable.
3. Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil
Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil is enriched with Omega-6 and Argan oil to provide a beautiful shine to your hair and to nourish your hair from the inside. It is especially good for bleached hair and colored hair because of its highly moisturizing formula.
This oil has multiple uses, you can use it as a pre-shampoo treatment, or post-shampoo as a leave-in conditioner or you can leave it overnight as a deep conditioning treatment.
It can also be used as a heat protectant before using heat tools, or afterward to increase the shine of your hair.
Key benefits of Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil:
- It is a multipurpose oil, which can be used in different ways to keep your hair soft and shiny.
- It protects your hair from heat and preserves the natural moisture of your hair.
- This oil conditions your hair and strengthens your hair from the inside, keeping them healthy.
- Redken All Soft Argan oil effectively fortifies the hair and preserves your hair color.
How to apply Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil on color-treated hair:
- There are several ways to use this oil. If you want to use it as a pre-shampoo treatment or a deep conditioner, you have to take a small amount of this oil and apply on the length of your hair and leave it on for 2 to 12 hours to moisturize your hair before shampooing it out.
- To use it as a leave-in conditioner, take 2 to 3 drops of the oil and apply it on damp hair, concentrating it on the ends and middle.
- To use it as a heat protectant, take a few drops of this oil and apply it all over your hair evenly before using your heat tool.
4. OUIDAD Mongongo Oil Multi-use Curl Treatment
OUIDAD Mongongo Oil Curl Treatment is a multipurpose oil, made especially for curly hair types. It effectively seals in the moisture of your hair protecting it from damage and moisture loss.
This oil seals in the cuticles of the hair, shielding it from heat, which in turn helps your colored hair stay vibrant for longer.
It is formulated with Mongongo Oil blended with Coconut oil, Palm oil and Broccoli oil, which helps smooth your hair and give it a frizz-free shiny look. This oil also strengthens the hairs from the inside and keeps them healthy.
Key benefits of OUIDAD Mongongo Oil:
- The high concentration of Vitamin E and Linoleic acid helps lock in moisture in your hair, keeping them softer for longer.
- This oil does not make your hair greasy or weighed down, giving curly hair more definition and shine.
- OUIDAD Mongongo oil acts as a shield against sun damage and UV rays, keeping your hair color vibrant for longer.
- It gives your hair a beautiful shine from the roots to the tip and helps keep your hairstyle stay longer.
How to apply OUIDAD Mongongo Oil on color-treated hair:
- The Mongongo oil treatment can be used as a leave-in conditioner, just take a few drops of the oil and spread it on your damp hair after you wash your hair, to lock in the moisture of your hair.
- You can use a few drops of the oil on your dry hair to enhance shine, or as a heat protector before using heat tools.
- It can also be used on your dry hair as UV protection, simply spray it on your hair.
5. Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Luster Lock Restorative Glossing Oil
The Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Oil is an excellent multipurpose oil that has been made especially for colored hair.
Enriched with African Manketti and Argan oils, this oil uses its “smart release” technology to provide high shine to colored hair, making your hair color look more vibrant and beautiful.
It protects your hair from damage by creating a layer of protection on the hair strands, which also helps lock in the moisture of your hair. Its restorative formula is great for healing damaged hair and nourishing them back to life.
Key benefits of Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Oil:
- This oil is excellent at reducing frizziness and enhancing shine, helping you create beautiful hairstyles.
- K-PAK color therapy oil helps preserve your hair color for up to 8 weeks, no matter which color you have dyed your hair.
- Its keratin-rich formula helps restore damage as well as prevents further damage to the hair.
How to apply Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Oil on color treated hair:
- Apply a few drops of the oil on the lengths of your hair, either damp or dry, for instant shine and damage protection.
Comparison of the Top 5 Oils for Color Treated Hair
|Color Protection||Heat Protection||UV Protection||Moisturizing||Shine||Frizz Reduction|
|Leonor Greyl Paris Huile Secret de Beaute Organic Oil||Medium||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Verb Ghost Hair Oil||High||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil||HIgh||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|OUIDAD Mongongo Oil Multi-use Curl Treatment||High||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Luster Lock Restorative Glossing Oil||High||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
How to use hair oils for color-treated hair correctly?
Yes, there is a right and a wrong way to use serum oil. The way you use it could determine how well it works for your hair and how effective it is.
Silicone oils are safe for your skin and hair, but they are sometimes looked down upon because of their tendency to build upon your hair and for causing flakiness and greasiness. So how exactly do you use serum oils correctly?
1. Only use a small amount of the product each time
As these oils do not penetrate your hair fully, they form a coating on the outside of your hair shaft to protect the moisture inside your hair.
A small dime-sized amount would be enough to coat all your hair. Always remember to distribute the product evenly throughout your hair.
2. Do not apply them close to the scalp
These oils do not get absorbed by the skin very effectively, which is why if it is left on the scalp, it could build up on your scalp and cause greasiness.
Sometimes. if you suffer from dandruff, it could also increase the flakiness on your scalp. To avoid these problems, never apply serum oil to your scalp. Only use them on the length of your hair.
3. Do not overuse these oils
The correct way to use these serum oils is to apply a small amount of the oil on damp hair after you have freshly washed your hair.
However, it is not advised to use these oils on a daily basis, only reapply after you have washed your hair again.
This will make sure that you do not oversaturate your hair and the oils don’t have any side effects on your hair.
4. Use it in addition to your regular hair oil
It is not a replacement for natural oil treatments which nourish your hair from the inside.
While a serum oil plays an important part in your hair care routine, it is not meant to nourish your scalp or, so do not skip your regular hair oiling routine to nourish your scalp and keep your mane healthy.
Are you ready to start protecting your colored hair?
It is important to include a serum oil in your hair care routine if you have colored hair because colored hair suffers the most from damage and it is very hard to keep them from enduring further damage.
As discussed earlier, you do require to include a nourishing oil for your scalp as well, as the serum oils only help your hair strands and not the scalp. These serum oils are formulated to preserve the health of your hair and prevent them from breakage and further damage.
Additionally, they are also excellent styling oils, and they can be used in a variety of ways to help your hair look amazing.
Now that we have discussed everything you need to know about these oils, it is time for you to choose your favorite and start protecting your colored hair.