What is a Locking Gel and How to Use It?
If you have dreadlocks, you already know what locking gel is used for. If you are new to dreadlocks, then you may still not know what locking gels do and how to use it.
If you want to pursue freeform dreadlocks, then a locking gel is your best friend. Locking gel can be used for starting new dreads, as well as re-twisting.
Your hair grows every day and in a month or so, your hair will grow long enough and will require further twisting, to maintain the dreads.
Locking gels are mainly used for this re-twisting process, as it is quite hard to do on your own without any products.
If you are starting new freeform dreads, you just have to incorporate the gel into your hair while twisting.
The twisting method is up to you. After forming the dreads, you have to sit under a hairdryer to lock in your dreads.
Similarly, when you are retwisting your hair, you have to incorporate the gel into your hair as you are twisting, and hold it in place with a clip, and then you have to sit under a dryer for about 20 minutes until it is dry.
Eventually, the re-twisted hair will lock in with your dread and become a part of your dread.
List of Top 5 Locking Gels for Dreads
- Bronner Brothers Tropical Roots Firm Locking Gel
- Jamaican Mango and Lime Resistant Formula Locking Gel
- Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products Lock It Up
- African Formula Super Grow Hair Gel
- Murray’s Gel Loc-Lock
How to Pick the Best Locking Gel for your Dreads?
- The best locking gels do not flake. Flaking is caused by a formula which is not absorbed by the scalp or hair, so always look for locking gels that are flake resistant to ensure the best looking dreads.
- A good locking gel will always give your dreads shine and strength. Always look for a locking gel that promotes shine to your locks, because it means that the locks are going to stay healthy.
- Look for extra hold or extra strength locking gels, because they will ensure that your hair doesn’t untwist easily. It is also good for starting dreads on hair that is harder to twist on its own.
- This is optional, but you can always check if the locking gel is made with nourishing ingredients. It is an extra bonus when the twisting gel not only holds your locks but also provides nourishment to the hair and scalp.
- Always choose a gel over a wax. Twisting gel and waxes are both available on the market, but do not use a wax formula for retwisting your dreads, because it promotes build-up and you do not want your hair to look dull or dirty.
Top 5 Best Locking Gels for Dreads : Review
1. Bronner Brothers Tropical Roots Firm Locking Gel
The Bonner Brothers Tropical Roots is one of the most popular locking gels in the market. It is known for its firm hold quality. It can help in twisting hair that is hard to twist on its own.
It can also be used for braids. It contains Vitamin B-12, which promotes hair growth, by assisting in production of oxygen rich blood, which in turn nourishes the hair follicles. This locking gel is not only good for your dreads, but also for your scalp.
- The formula is quite light and gets absorbed into the hair quite easily, so it does not create any flakiness.
- It dries quite fast, which means you do not have to sit under a dryer for too long.
- It claims to promote hair growth. It has Vitamin B-12, which helps keep your hair healthy and also nourishes your scalp.
- This hair gel has a nice fragrance.
2. Jamaican Mango and Lime Resistant Formula Locking Gel
Jamaican Mango and Lime Locking Gel is pretty well known in the dreadlocks community. Jamaican Mango and Lime also has another formula of locking gel but is not as great as the resistant formula.
This hair gel makes sure that your dreads do not untwist easily. It is white in color, and has a creamy texture, which is easy to use on any type of hair.
- Due to the strong hold quality, it is very good for starting new dreads, which will not untwist or frizz.
- It does not cause build-up, keeping your hair clean and shiny.
- The formula is quite good, and it does not flake up your hair.
- You only require a very small amount for great results.
3. Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products Lock It Up
Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products are made from natural ingredients. They derive their dyes and fragrance from dried fruit and fruit juices. This gel does not have a very strong hold, but is it quite nourishing and it promotes shiny dreads.
It contains many natural ingredients, such as Yarrow root, Indian Hemp extract and Rosemary,which promote hair growth and nourishes the scalp. These ingredients also promote shine to the hair. This hair gel can also be used for braids.
- This hair gel is made up of all-natural ingredients, and it is also cruelty-free.
- It contains nourishing ingredients, which help promote healthy hair growth.
- It adds moisture to your hair, which in turn helps keep your dreads shiny.
- This gel ensures that your locks are twisted and it also prevents them from frizzing up.
4. African Formula Super Grow Hair Gel
SuperGro Hair Gel has a thick formula, which is one of the strongest locking gel formulas in the market. It does not, however, flake or causes crunchiness in the hair. It stays quite malleable and dries up without any build-up or grossness.
This gel is formulated with Biotin, one of the key ingredients required for hair growth. It has been proven to work, therefore this hair gel will promote hair growth and healthy hair.
- Extra strong hold. It has one of the thickest formulas of locking gels, and it holds your dreads together firmly without the risk of them untwisting.
- Very little product is required for you to retwist your entire head of hair. It is quite thick. But you only require a tiny bit of it to keep your hairs twisted.
- It is made up of all-natural ingredients. You get all the goodness of nature in this gel.
- The formula contains Biotin and placenta extract, which helps in promoting hair growth and keeps your hair healthy.
5. Murray’s Gel Loc-Lock
Murray’s Gel Loc-Lock is another popular lock gel. It has a creamy formula, unlike the other products on this list. It is formulated with natural ingredients, including olive oil.
It has a slightly oily feeling to it, but It does not cause any flaking and moisturizes the scalp pretty well which makes it perfect locking gel for dreads.
The oily formula is especially nourishing to the scalp. Olive oil is one of the most nourishing oil you can use on your body or scalp, and this hair gel makes sure that you get the goodness of olive oil in your hair gel.
- The main feature of this lock gel is its creamy formula, which moisturizes the hair.
- It does not flake up on your hair at all, in fact, most of the product is absorbed by the scalp.
- It dries pretty easily and there is no residue left on the hair.
- Due to its thick formula, it provides a good hold.
Comparison of Top 5 Locking Gels for Your Dreads
|Tropical Roots Firm Locking Gel||Mango and Lime Resistant Hair Gel||Taliah Waajid Lock It Up||Super Grow Hair Gel||Murray’s Gel Loc-Lock|
|Hold||Very strong||Strong||Medium||Very Strong||Medium|
|Key Ingredient||Vitamin-B12||None||Rosemary and Nettle||Biotin and Placenta extracts||Olive Oil|
|Build-Up or Greasiness||No||No||No||Slight Build up||Slightly Greasy|
Have You Made Your Decision Yet?
Now that you have gone through all of the best locking hair gels in the market, it is time for you to choose your favorite and try it out for yourself. All of the above mentioned products are quite popular in the dreadlocks community.
They are all tried and tested, and approved by many. Whether you are looking for a natural formula, or an extra strong hold, this list contains every product that you need to know about for starting your dreadlock journey. We hope this list helps you find your choice of Locking gel.