If you have low porosity hair, you know how hard it gets to moisturize your hair. It is also quite hard to maintain the shine on your hair for longer than a day or two. So what is the solution? Light hair oils!
Unlike popular belief, low porosity hair can benefit from oils too, but you have to make sure to use the right kind of oils i.e., light oils, which moisturize your hair without leaving a greasy mess.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is light oil?
- 2 Light oil Vs Heavy Oil
- 3 Why Light oil is best for Low Porosity hair?
- 4 List of Top 12 Light Oils for Low Porosity Hair
- 5 Editor’s choice: The Best Light Oil for Low Porosity Hair
- 6 Top 12 Best Light Oils for Low Porosity hair
- 7 How to apply light hair oil on low porosity hair :
- 8 How to Select the Best Light Oil for Low Porosity Hair?
What is light oil?
Light oil is exactly what it sounds like – light! Many different types of oils can be used for your hair, but not all of them are light. Light oils refer to the oils that are hydrating yet lightweight.
Light oils are generally thinner in consistency, and usually, a little bit of these oils could be used to hydrate all your hair. Light oils help to seal the cuticles of the hair, preventing protein loss and making your hair less frizzy.
Light oil Vs Heavy Oil
- Lighter oils are usually more easily absorbed into the skin and hair, as their molecule structure is small and they penetrate the cell wall quite easily, on the other hand, heavy oils have bigger molecular structures and they do not penetrate the skin very well.
- Lighter oils are great for hydrating the skin and hair, whereas heavy oils are more suited for preserving the natural moisture that is already present in the skin and hair.
- Some examples of light oils are Jojoba oil, and argan oil, both of which are suited for most skin and hair types. Some heavy oils are Coconut oil, Castor oil, Hemp seed oil, and Olive oil, these are suitable for people with dry hair and skin, but not everyone can benefit from these as they can also become greasy.
Why Light oil is best for Low Porosity hair?
Low porosity hair needs moisture with no build-up. Since low porosity hair has more build-up than usual, it is not a good idea to use heavy oils on it. Heavy oils are meant for hair with high porosity.
Lighter oils penetrate the hair shaft more easily and nourish the hair effectively. Some non-penetrative hair oils such as Jojoba oil also have a use for low-porosity hair, and that is to add shine without weighing it down.
It is a great idea to use different types of light oils for low porosity hair to manage and style them as it ensures that your hair neither gets damaged nor gets dirty.
List of Top 12 Light Oils for Low Porosity Hair
- Moroccan Argan Oil
- Safflower Seed Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Baobab Oil
- Pomegranate Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Camellia Seed Oil
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Marula Oil
- Avocado Oil
Editor’s choice: The Best Light Oil for Low Porosity Hair
If you have low porosity hair and you still do not know which oil to pick up for yourself, we recommend using Grapeseed Oil to get the maximum benefits for your hair.
This light oil is rich in nutrients like Vitamin A, B, D, and E, which are incredibly beneficial for your hair as well as your scalp.
It effectively moisturizes your hair without weighing it down at all. It is the lightest of all the hair oils listed above.
You can fully depend upon this oil for all your hair needs. You can either use it as a pre-wash treatment for your hair, or you can use it afterward as a styling oil for your hair.
Top 12 Best Light Oils for Low Porosity hair
1. Moroccan Argan Oil
Argan oil is excellent oil that has a lot of benefits for your hair as well as your skin. It is the ideal choice for low-porosity hair due to its intensely hydrating properties.
Moroccan Argan Oil can be used as a hair mask, conditioner, or even a styling product. Argan oil penetrates the hair shaft effectively and nourishes the hair from inside, keeping your hair strong and free from breakage.
Argan oil seals in the cuticles of the hair which helps prevent protein and moisture loss. Use Argan oil as a pre-shampoo treatment by leaving it in the hair for 2 to 12 hours before shampooing to get beautiful hair with a natural shine.
Key benefits of Moroccan Argan Oil:
- Argan oil can be used as a pre shampoo treatment as well as a conditioner after hair has been washed.
- This oil helps reduce frizziness and promotes shine to the hair.
- Moroccan Argan Oil contains Vitamin E, which helps prevent UV damage to the hair.
- It is also a great oil for your scalp, as it helps nourish the roots of the hair, promoting hair growth.
2. Safflower Seed Oil
Safflower seed oil originated from the saffron flower is a powerful oil that is beneficial to the hair and skin.
It helps stimulate blood flow, which is highly beneficial for stimulating hair growth. It is a lightweight oil, which does not weigh down the hair, making it ideal for low porosity hair.
Safflower Seed Oil is a high penetrative oil, which means it enters the hair shaft fairly easily and helps nourish the hair.
Due to its high concentration of linoleic acid, it is very good at locking in the moisture of your hair.
To get the maximum benefit from the safflower oil, use it as a post shampoo treatment by mixing a little bit of this oil with your conditioner and then rinsing it out. It will make your hair look shinier and more bouncy.
Key Benefits of Safflower Seed Oil:
- It not only moisturizes your hair, but also hydrates your scalp, and promotes hair growth.
- Safflower seed oil is a great moisturizer for your skin as well.
- This oil will give your hair an exceptional shine.
3. Sweet Almond Oil
Sweet Almond oil is a powerhouse of nutrients that help nourish and condition your hair.
It contains Vitamin A and Vitamin E, along with a combination of oleic acid, linoleic acid, stearic acid and palmitic acid, all of which are excellent for low-porosity hair.
The linoleic acid helps retain moisture, while the steric acid conditions your hair without making it feel greasy.
Overall, Sweet Almond oil is a great choice for low-porosity hair due to its lightweight feel and nourishing properties.
Key benefits of Sweet Almond Oil:
- Sweet Almond oil helps promote healthy hair growth.
- This light oil is also a good moisturizer for your face.
- Due to its high penetration properties, it helps prevent hair breakage and moisture loss.
- Sweet Almond Oil does not weigh down the hair at all, so there is no greasiness on your hair.
4. Grapeseed Oil
Grapeseed oil is derived from the pressed seeds of grapes. It is one of the lightest oils in existence, which makes it the ideal choice for low-porosity hair, as it does not weigh down the hair at all.
Enriched with Vitamin A, B, D, and E, this oil nourishes the hair from the root to the tip creating a protective barrier that prevents the hair from damage.
Due to this property, Grapeseed Oil can also be used as a natural heat protectant for your hair.
The vitamin E in the oil also provides Uv protection for your hair, preventing it from getting discolored.
Key benefits of Grapeseed Oil:
- This lightweight oil does not weigh down your hair at all, so you don’t have to worry about build up or greasiness.
- It is a high penetration oil, which means it is ideal for moisturizing the hair.
- Grapeseed Oil does not have a smell, which is good for people who don’t like strong smells.
- This light oil is also easily absorbed by the skin, so it doubles as a skin moisturizer.
5. Baobab Oil
Baobab oil is one of the lesser-known oils out there. It is made from the seeds of the baobab tree, which originates in Africa and is often called the “tree of life”.
The baobab seed oil is rich in antioxidants such as Vitamin A, D, and E, along with several other nourishing nutrients such as Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids.
Baobab Oil is fairly lightweight making it a good choice for low porosity hair.
The omega fatty acids help to rejuvenate the scalp and improve hair growth, whereas the different kinds of Vitamins help promote healthy hair by locking in the moisture of the hair.
Key benefits of Baobab Oil:
- It helps restore the look and feel of dull and dry hair.
- Baobab oil is a great treatment for dry and itchy scalp also.
- When used regularly, it will increase the softness of the hair and make your hair more bouncy.
6. Pomegranate Oil
Pomegranate oil, extracted from the fruit itself, is a lightweight medium penetration oil. It is one of the best oils for your scalp, it stimulates blood flow on the scalp, promoting healthy hair growth.
Pomegranate Oil is a highly concentrated oil, so only a little bit of this oil is required to get the maximum benefits out of it.
This light oil contains linoleic acid, which is good for moisture retention, and vitamin C, which helps fortify the hair against damage.
Key benefits of Pomegranate Oil:
- It helps with several scalp issues such as dry scalp, dandruff etc.
- Pomegranate Oil promotes healthy hair growth.
- This lightweight oil does not weigh down your hair, making it ideal for low porosity hair.
- It has a beautiful smell that keeps your hair smelling fresh all day.
7. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba Oil, derived from the jojoba tree, is an excellent oil for your skin and hair, especially since it mimics the natural oil produced by our skin.
It is a lightweight oil that does not become greasy on the scalp, and it helps promote a beautiful shine to the hair.
Jojoba oil is non-penetrative oil, so it doesn’t nourish the hair shaft directly, but it helps to fortify the hair by forming a light coating around the hair preventing it from losing its moisture, making it an ideal oil for low porosity hair.
This oil is, however, easily absorbed by the scalp, which helps maintain sebum production and promotes hair growth.
Key benefits Jojoba Oil:
- It is a great natural hair styling product. It can be used to define curls, or just give your hair a beautiful shine.
- Jojoba oil is a very skin friendly oil, it helps control sebum production.
- This oil is very lightweight, so it does not contribute to any build up on the hair.
8. Apricot Kernel Oil
Rich in Oleic acid and linoleic acid, Apricot kernel oil is full of beneficial nutrients that help moisturize your hair and make your hair soft.
This oil is one of the best oils for low-porosity hair because of its hydrating properties, as well as the fact that it does not weigh down the hair at all.
Apricot Kernel Oil is a great emollient, and it helps hydrate the scalp as well. Apricot seed oil not only helps prevent breakage, but also helps to restore already damaged hair and bring them back to life.
Key benefits of Apricot Kernel Oil:
- It is a very hydrating oil, which is what low-porosity hair needs.
- Apricot Kernel Oil is also rich in Vitamin A and E, which provide nourishment to the scalp.
- Using this oil will give your hair a beautiful shine.
9. Camellia Seed Oil
Camellia seed oil is an excellent emollient, which makes it a very good choice for dry low-porosity hair.
This oil is excellent to hydrate your hair and your scalp, as it contains a lot of nutrients like Omega fatty acids and linoleic acids.
It helps protect the hair and scalp from external damage caused by the environment.
Camellia seed oil is a great carrier oil, which can be used along with other oils to maximize the benefits.
Key benefits of Camellia Seed Oil:
- It is intensely hydrating oil, excellent for both the hair and scalp.
- The oil is lightweight, which leaves no residue on the hair.
- Camellia Seed Oil is also great for your skin.
10. Fractionated Coconut Oil
Normal coconut oil is not good for low porosity hair, as it can easily weigh down the hair and cause the scalp to have excessive build up.
However, fractionated coconut oil has been purified and a lot of the fat is taken away from it, making it lightweight oil suitable for low porosity hair as it has all the benefits of coconut oil without the weight.
Fractionated coconut oil is easily absorbed by the hair, and it reduces frizziness and dullness from your hair making it look beautiful and shiny.
Fractionated Coconut Oil is a good carrier oil, and it can be used in combination with other hair oils.
Key benefits of Fractionated Coconut Oil:
- This oil has all the benefits of coconut oil without the heaviness.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil helps define your hair texture, and make your hair look shinier.
- This coconut oil helps in softening your hair.
11. Marula Oil
Marula Oil is derived from the marula fruit kernel, which is found in southern Africa. It is enriched in glutamic acid and L-arginine which are beneficial in hydrating your hair and scalp.
It also contains stearic, oleic and myristic acids, which have moisturizing benefits and act as great emollients.
Marula oil will nourish your hair from the root to the tip without weighing down your hair.
It is highly beneficial for low-porosity hair as it penetrates the hair easily and prevents moisture from escaping the hair.
Key benefits Marula Oil:
- It is extremely hydrating, which gives your hair softness as well as hydration.
- Marula Oil is also a great oil for your scalp, as it effectively nourishes the roots of the hair, stimulating hair growth.
- This oil is great for your skin and nails as well.
12. Avocado Oil
Although it is not the most lightweight hair oil on our list, Avocado Oil is incredibly beneficial for low porosity hair as well as dry and brittle hair.
This Oil contains nutrients like Vitamin A, B, and D, which help nourish your hair and scalp.
Avocado oil penetrates the hair quite easily and moisturizes the hair from within. It can help repair damaged hair and it will also prevent it from any further damage.
Key benefits of Avocado Oil:
- It penetrates the hair shaft with ease, which makes it a good oil for protecting your hair from damage.
- It is rich in antioxidants, which help nourish the hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Avocado oil is also good for your skin.
How to apply light hair oil on low porosity hair :
There are several different ways by which you can nourish your low porosity hair with oil. Some of those techniques are:
Pre wash treatment:
Oiling your hair before shampoo is a great way to get all that hydration in your hair. Apply a small amount of oil on your scalp, and massage thoroughly for a few minutes.
Apply ample oil on the strands of the hair as well and then spread it out with your fingers. Put on a shower cap and leave it to work its magic for a minimum of 2 hours.
You can leave it on your hair overnight for up to 12 hours to get the maximum benefit from the oil. Wash your hair as usual, and you can now enjoy soft and beautiful hair.
Another way to get the benefits of your hair oil is to use it after shampooing your hair along with your wash-off conditioner.
Mix a small amount of your favorite hair oil into your conditioner and condition your hair as usual. Leave it on your hair for 5 minutes or so and then rinse off.
This way the oil will linger on to your hair even after your hair is washed thoroughly. This is a great way to increase the shine on your hair and to keep your hair bouncy.
As a styling product:
Several hair oils can be used for styling your hair. You can use a small amount of jojoba oil or marula oil on your hair to give curly hair more definition. It is also a good way to reduce frizziness and dullness from the hair.
A blend of different hair oils and butter can be used along with other nourishing ingredients to deep condition your hair from the root to the tip.
The best way to deep condition your hair is to apply the oil blend and then sit under a heating dryer, or use a shower cap to naturally trap in the heat from your scalp. Leave this on your hair for a few hours and then wash it off to get beautiful shiny and bouncy hair.
How to Select the Best Light Oil for Low Porosity Hair?
- Purity: Hair oils can be formulated with or without any carrier oils. To make sure your hair gets the full benefit of the oil that you are choosing, always look for pure oil with no carrier oil mixed into it. Always look for the ingredients list and see for yourself, since companies could easily deceive you into believing they are selling a pure oil while it only constitutes less than half of the oil blend.
- Dark bottles: Although it may seem unimportant, oils that are sold in dark bottles usually stay preserved for longer. Dark bottles ensure that UV rays don’t get through the container and that, in turn, maintains the quality of the oil.
- Glass Droppers: Always look for a bottle of oil that contains a glass dropper. Having a glass dropper allows you to use the oil more easily, as you don’t run the risk of wasting any oil. Furthermore, a dropper will make sure that you do not have to touch the oil directly with your fingers, and that will prevent bacteria from getting inside the oil.
- Buy the one you need: Even with low-porosity hair, your hair has specific needs. It may need more shine, or it may need more hydration. Always choose your hair oil based on what your hair requires the most. Do not use an oil that is not suited for your hair, because it may make your hair dull and cause your hair to grow slower.
It is very important to use some form of oil on low porosity hair, as it can drastically improve the condition of the hair, it can bring dull and dry hair back to life.
Regular use of hair oils will also increase the elasticity of your hair. Along with elasticity, the long-term use of hair oils also helps promote healthy hair growth, which is very important for low porosity hair.
We have discussed everything you need to know about low porosity hair care using oils. You know which oils to use, and how to use them. So what are you waiting for? It’s time for you to choose your favorite hair oil from our list and start caring for your hair.