4c hair type is the curliest hair type. This type of hair usually lacks moisture, since the oil produced on the scalp cannot travel down the hair very well.
This hair type is quite dry and requires extra care, to ensure the health of the hair strands. If it is not taken care of, the hair can easily break and start losing shine and smoothness.
This is why it is always important to use a heat protectant spray for 4c hair if you blow-dry or straighten your hair so that you can minimize heat damage, and keep your hair shiny and beautiful.
List of Top 12 Best Heat Protectants for 4c Type Hair
- African Pride Black Castor Miracle Anti-Humidity Heat Protectant Spray
- Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel
- Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray
- CHI Silk Infusion
- Cantu Shea Butter Thermal Shield Heat Protectant
- HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector
- Silk Elements Heat Protection Crème
- EDEN BodyWorks Hibiscus Honey Blow Dry Cream
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Protecting Spray
- MIZANI Thermasmooth Style & Style Again Heat Activated Styling Cream
- Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Protection Spray
- SheaMoisture Anti-Breakage Spray
Editor’s pick: The Best Heat Protectants for 4c Hair
- EXTREME HAIR PROTECTANT: Protect hair from heat exposure up to 450º F. HSI’s argan oil hair heat protectant is a weightless mist to be used before styling with flat irons, blow dryers & curling wands. Style safely and worry free!
- LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER: This light thermal protection spray can be also used as a leave in conditioning serum. Get smooth, hydrated, frizz-free hair that's healthier than ever before.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA: Ensuring you get a premium quality high grade hair oil Infused with highly concentrated antioxidant-rich argan oil and shine-boosting vitamins. Not tested on animals.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL HAIR TYPES: For Natural hair and Human hair extensions.
- MILD FORMULA: Sulfate-free, phosphate-free and paraben-free, Color-safe.
- PROFESSIONAL SALON LEVEL PROTECTION: Hydrates, detangles, speeds up drying time, boosts shine & creates a nourishing protective barrier between your hair & high heat styling tools.
- Packaging may vary, may come in red or white packaging.
Out of our long list of heat protectant sprays, we picked HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector as the best hair protectant for 4c hair.
We highly recommend this Heat Protectant because it is free of harmful chemicals, it protects the hair in high heat settings up to 450F and it doubles as a leave-in conditioner.
A lot of black women love it for their naturally curly hair, and it is especially proffered by girls with 4c type hair.
It has humectant properties, and so it seals in the cuticles of the hair while simultaneously keeping moisture inside the hair.
This hair protectant boosts up the hair drying time and gives your hair a beautiful shine. It is overall the best heat protectant product for your hair in this list.
Top 12 Best Heat Protectants for 4c Hair
1. African Pride Black Castor Miracle Anti-Humidity Heat Protectant Spray
African Pride Black Castor Heat Protectant Spray is a formula, which is especially made for curly haired ladies. It works very well on 4c type hair, as it effectively seals in moisture and keeps unwanted humidity out of the hair.
This anti-humidity formula allows the hair to stay styled for a longer period of time, without creating any frizz. The lightweight formula, which protects your hair for up to 400 F, is ideal to be used for blow drying as well as straightening the hair.
To use African Pride Black Castor Miracle Anti-Humidity Heat Protectant Spray, simply hold the bottle a few inches away from the hair and spray evenly, comb through with a brush and then you can use any heat tool without any worry.
Key features of African Pride Black Castor Miracle Anti-Humidity Heat Protectant Spray:
- It is made up of completely natural ingredients. It has been formulated without sulfates, parabens, mineral oils, or petroleum.
- This hair protectant spray is crafted with a keratin complex, which helps in keeping the natural moisture in the hair while blocking humidity to enter the hair.
- African Pride Black Castor Miracle Anti-Humidity Heat Protectant Spray is also formulated with Black Caster oil, which nourishes the scalp and promotes healthy hair growth. It also helps control frizziness on the hair.
- The heat protectant can minimize heat damage with up to 400 C of heat on your hair, so you can use it for both blow drying and straightening.
2. Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel
When it comes to curly and coily hair, humidity is the worst offender.Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel is a gel based cream, which protects your hair from both heat and humidity.
This gel formula effectively locks in the natural moisture of your hair while keeping your curls safe from outside humidity.
Use Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel before blow drying your hair to get the most beautiful curls.
Its special wheat protein formula has been proven to protect your hair from high heat, by creating a barrier between the hair cuticle and the heat tool.
Simply take a small amount on your fingertips and spread it on to each section of hair before blow drying with a diffuser, to get shiny, healthy natural hair.
Key features of Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel:
- It helps to seal in the cuticles of the hair, which in turn keeps moisture locked in.
- Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel gives your natural curls more definition and structure, so it is perfect for ladies with 4c hair who like to wear their hair naturally.
- Along with heat damage, it also reduces UV damage to your hair, which makes it ideal to use for styling dry hair.
- The lightweight formula does not leave a residue or build up on your hair and it does not get crunchy either.
3. Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray
The Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Heat protectant spray is formulated without any harmful chemicals to ensure the best results for curly hair types.
The special Mongongo oil formula nourishes the hair shaft by repairing split ends and preventing breakage.
Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray formula will help your hair look smooth and shiny without creating any frizz.
It can protect your hair even at very high heat settings, so if you regularly straighten your hair, this is the ideal product for you.
Key features of Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray:
- It has a lot of natural ingredients, such as almond, argan, sacha inchi, and mongongo oils. These oils help repair damaged hair, and they also nourish the scalp for healthy hair growth.
- Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray makes your hair look shiny.
- The formula is free from harmful chemicals such as parabens and sulfates.
4. CHI Silk Infusion
CHI Silk Infusion is a favorite heat protectant among many stylists and professionals. Its advanced formula protects the hair from very high heat, making it ideal to be used for straightening 4c type hair.
It helps lock in the natural moisture of the hair by sealing in the hair cuticles, which also helps keep humidity out of the hair.
CHI Silk Infusion is easy to use, all you have to do is take a small amount on your palm and work it through the hair section by section before applying your heat tool. It will give your hair incredible shine, making it look silky.
Key features of CHI Silk Infusion:
- The formula is made with silk, wheat, and soy protein, which are ingredients that are proven to protect your hair from heat and promote shine.
- It makes the hair more manageable and soft.
- CHI Silk Infusion does not cause any build up in your hair.
5. Cantu Shea Butter Thermal Shield Heat Protectant
Cantu Shea Butter Heat Protectant has been made keeping in mind the needs of curly haired girls.
The formula contains Shea butter, which is very good for keeping moisture in the hair strands, making sure that your hair does not break.
Cantu Shea Butter Thermal Shield Heat Protectant has non sticky formula that ensures no build up in the hair, keeping your hair looking fresh and shiny.
Key features of Cantu Shea Butter Thermal Shield Heat Protectant:
- It can protect your hair for up to a heat of 425F, which means it is ideal for both straightening and blow drying your hair.
- Cantu Shea Butter Thermal Shield Heat Protectant helps define your natural curls if you are using it for blow drying your hair.
- It does not cause frizziness and gives your hair a smooth finish.
6. HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector
The HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protectant is one of the most popular heat protectants in the market.
It is suitable for all hair types, but especially for 4c hair type because of its high heat protection.
HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector is formulated with argan oil, which is very good for the hair strands as it mimics the natural oil from the scalp. It gives the hair incredible shine and lustre.
You can keep your hair safe from heat damage with this spray, for both blow drying as well as straightening your hair. To use it, just spray on each hair section and smooth out with fingers or a comb.
Key features of HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector:
- It is lightweight and does not weigh down the hair.
- HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector is moisture inducing, it not only protects your hair from damage but also keeps it moisturized.
- This spray can be used as a leave-in serum as well.
- It is made without sulfates and parabens, and it is also safe for colored hair.
7. Silk Elements Heat Protection Creme
Silk Elements Heat Protectant cream is formulated with silk protein and coconut oil to ensure maximum heat protection.
Silk Elements Heat Protection Creme seals in the cuticles of the hair, which helps reduce breakage, and lock in the natural moisture of curly hair types like 4c hair.
The non sticky formula leaves no residue on the hair, keeping your hair looking shiny and beautiful for several days. It is safe to be used for chemically treated and colored hair as well.
Key features of Silk Elements Heat Protection Creme:
- It makes your hair shiny and silky.
- Silk Elements Heat Protection Crème can be used for both blow drying and straightening your hair.
- The cream formula keeps your hair soft.
- You can also use it as a detangler.
8. EDEN BodyWorks Hibiscus Honey Blow Dry Cream
Made with natural ingredients, this blow dry cream is like a dream. It is formulated with honey, one of the best natural ingredients that hydrate the hair from the inside.
EDEN BodyWorks Hibiscus Honey Blow Dry Cream is amazing for curly 4c type hair because it not only moisturizes your hair, but it also protects it from breakage and humidity.
The cream formula makes it really easy to use, just take a small amount on your palm and work it through each section of your hair before blow drying.
Key features of EDEN BodyWorks Hibiscus Honey Blow Dry Cream:
- It helps dry hair faster. It drastically reduces the time required to blowdry your hair.
- EDEN BodyWorks Hibiscus Honey Blow Dry Cream does not cause any build up on your hair.
- Due to its formulation that has been made with honey, it is incredibly moisturizing.
9. John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Protecting Spray
John Frieda products are well known for their high quality, and this one is no exception. It is especially good for curly 4c type hair, because of its ability to protect the hair from high heat.
The spray heat protectant is formulated with nourishing jojoba oil, and aloe vera leaf, which helps to seal in your hair cuticles, protecting it from damage.
The lightweight formula provides a silky smooth finish, giving your hair exceptional shine.
John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Protecting Spray has been designed with a special blend of conditioning ingredients which helps prevent hair breakage and split ends.
Key features of John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Protecting Spray:
- It blocks out moisture from entering the hair, and keeps your hairstyle intact for 24 hours.
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Protecting Spray conditions the hair and prevents breakage.
- It adds gloss to the hair, while also reducing frizz from it.
10. MIZANI Thermasmooth Style & Style Again Heat Activated Styling Cream
This heat-activated styling cream is good for both blow drying as well as straightening your hair.
The formula is designed to activate when heat is applied to the hair and it helps preserve your hairstyle for a few days.
If you use MIZANI Thermasmooth Style & Style Again Heat Activated Styling Cream for blow drying your hair, it will help define your natural curls and make them look shiny and beautiful.
The nourishing formula makes sure that you are not only protecting your hair, but also nourishing them.
Key features of MIZANI Thermasmooth Style & Style Again Heat Activated Styling Cream:
- It protects the hair from heat up to 450F. This means you can easily use a flat iron on your hair without any worries.
- MIZANI Thermasmooth Style & Style Again Heat Activated Styling Cream has a nourishing formula, which helps keep the hair shaft healthy.
- Once applied, it remains on the hair, so you can restyle your hair multiple times with a single application.
11. Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Protection Spray
Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat is an excellent all round heat protectant spray for curly hair types like 4c hair.
It works by creating a barrier between your hair and the heat tool, which makes sure that your hair stays healthy while you style it as you like.
Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Protection Spray is formulated without any harmful ingredients such as sulfates and parabens, so you do not have to worry about damaging your hair with this product.
It holds the natural moisture of your hair inside, which gives your hair a healthy shine.
Key features of Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Protection Spray:
- It seals in the hair cuticles, which helps in reducing hair breakage.
- This heat protectant spray has a slippery feel, which helps heat tools glide on the hair more easily. This means you can use a flat iron on your hair effortlessly.
- Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Protection Spray makes the hair soft and shiny.
12. SheaMoisture Anti-Breakage Spray
SheaMoisture Anti Breakage Spray is a two in one product, it is a heat protectant spray as well as a leave-in conditioner for curly and coily hair.
It is formulated with the goodness of Shea butter and Black Castor oil, which nourishes the hair from deep and reverses the damage that is caused by heat tools.
SheaMoisture is proud to say that their products are made with ethically sourced ingredients and they are cruelty free.
Key features of SheaMoisture Anti-Breakage Spray:
- It is deeply nourishing to the hair strands. Black Caster oil, and Shea butter are both extremely hydrating ingredients. They also help nourish the scalp.
- The high heat resistance formula makes it ideal for flat ironing 4c type hair.
- SheaMoisture Anti-Breakage Spray’s anti-humidity formula keeps outside humidity away from hair, helping your hairstyle last longer.
- You can use it as a detangler on your hair as well.
Buyer Guide to Select the Best Heat Protectant for 4c Hair
Heat protectants come in all kinds of textures. It can be a serum, a cream, or even a spray. What you need to look for in a good heat protectant for 4c type hair are listed below.
- High heat resistance: 4c hair is prone to breakage very easily, so always choose a heat protectant that can protect your hair up to a high heat level. Try to find heat protectants that work even at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. They will make sure that your hair is protected against heat even if you are using heat for a long time or at a higher setting.
- Build up: Curly and coily hair is extremely prone to getting dirty, since the products that you apply will not move throughout the hair strand, but will stay exactly where you applied it. This is why it is important to look for a product that does not cause build-up. Usually, heavy cream formulas will cause build-up, so try to avoid such formulas.
- Moisture inducing: Curly and coily hair types, especially 4c hair is usually quite dry, so you need to make sure that the product you are using locks in the moisture in your hair. Some of the ingredients that you can look for are glycerin and propylene glycol. These ingredients also actively protect your hair against heat, so make sure your heat protectant contains them.
- Anti-humidity: Always look for a heat protectant spray that seals in the cuticles of the hair and doesn’t allow outside moisture to interfere with the hair. They will ensure that your hair stays frizz-free and moisturized without losing the style. This is especially important for 4c type hair since it tends to shrink very easily.
- Glossy finish: If you are using a heat protectant for straightening your hair, then always look for a heat protectant that gives you a high gloss finish. It can also be achieved by using other products, but if a heat protectant has that property, it is always good.
As we have already talked about before, protecting your hair from heat damage is extremely important, so it is always a good idea to invest in a heat protectant product so that you can ensure that your beautiful curly hair does not break or become dull or weak. Now that you know everything you need to know about heat protectants, it is time for you to decide which one you want to pick up for yourself.