When it comes to dealing with your hair and protecting it, the basic begins with the right shampoo and conditioner best suited for your hair. After washing your hair, you always should use some serum for the next step.
Using a hair protectant spray is very important, not only these days but is being used since a very long time in the beauty industry to protect your hair from heat exposures you receive while using hot tools to style your hair.
Therefore, with thousands of products available online, we are here with top 12 hair protectant spray after considering all essential factors that a good spray should possess.
If you are someone who has those beautiful natural curls, then you might have to put in a little extra effort at managing those locks or achieving a pin-straight look.
It is your right to style your hair any way you want with hot tools, but you should never compromise on keeping your hair healthy and at its very best.
This is the reason why heat protectants are a worthy investment. The heat protectants function by creating an invisible barrier all around your hair that provides a shield to your hair strands from hair damage by locking in moisture and reducing hair frizz.
Most heat protectants consist of amino acid-like keratin which works simultaneously to strengthen your hair.
Table of Contents
- 1 Editor’s Pick : The Best Heat Protectant Spray for Hair
- 2 Top 12 Best Heat Protectant Sprays for Hair
- 2.1 1. HSI Professional Argan Oil Heat Protector
- 2.2 2. Redken Extreme Play Safe Heat Protection and Damage Repair Treatment
- 2.3 3. Hair Food Coconut & Argan Oil Heat Protectant Spray Blend
- 2.4 4. CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal Protection Spray
- 2.5 5. OGX Protecting + Silk Blowout Quick Drying Thermal Spray
- 2.6 6. L’Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heat Spray
- 2.7 7. TRESemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Protective Spray
- 2.8 8. Moroccanoil Perfect Defense Hair Spray
- 2.9 9. Paul Mitchell Hot Off The Press Thermal Protection Spray
- 2.10 10. BIOLAGE Styling Thermal Active Spray
- 2.11 11. Kerotin Shine Mist Hair Spray
- 2.12 12. John Frieda Frizz Ease 3-day Flat Iron Spray
- 3 Buyer Guide to Select the Best Heat Protectant Spray for Hair
Editor’s Pick : The Best Heat Protectant Spray for Hair
- EXTREME HAIR PROTECTANT: Protect hair from heat exposure up to 450Âº F.HSI PROFESSIONAL's argan oil hair heat protectant is a weightless mist to be used before styling with flat irons, blow dryers & curling wands. Style safely and worry free!
- LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER: This light thermal protection spray can be also used as a leave in conditioning serum. Get smooth, hydrated, frizz-free hair that's healthier than ever before.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA: Ensuring you get a premium quality high grade hair oil Infused with highly concentrated antioxidant-rich argan oil and shine-boosting vitamins. Not tested on animals.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL HAIR TYPES: For Natural hair and Human hair extensions.
- MILD FORMULA: Sulfate-free, phosphate-free and paraben-free, Color-safe.
- PROFESSIONAL SALON LEVEL PROTECTION: Hydrates, detangles, speeds up drying time, boosts shine & creates a nourishing protective barrier between your hair & high heat styling tools.
- Packaging may vary, may come in red or white packaging.
After analysing the best products available in the market, it is safe to say that the HSI Professional Argan Oil Heat Protector is the best product overall out of all others.
The brand has received excellent ratings and customer reviews which proves that the customers are pleased with the product.
The brand is known to deliver salon finish look, and the heat protectant is specifically created to replenish, reinvigorate, repair, and add shine and smoothness to your hair.
They have used the highest quality ingredients and are a weightless mist which protects up to 450° F. they have infused highly concentrated antioxidant argan oil formula rich in many vitamins that hydrates, detangles, speeds up drying time and boosts shine for you.
The spray provides thermal protection and can be used as a conditioning serum. This professional argan oil heat protectant is colour safe, sulphate free, phosphate free and paraben free.
Most importantly, it has not been tested on animals. It includes all the factors that you should consider for buying a good hair protectant spray. So you need not worry about this product’s quality and performance as it is our favorite pick as well.
Top 12 Best Heat Protectant Sprays for Hair
1. HSI Professional Argan Oil Heat Protector
This brand is committed to delivering salon quality hair care products and styling tools to customers from all over the world.
All of their appliances have been designed for salon and home use, also made in USA. The hair products are specially created to replenish, reinvigorate, repair, and add shine and smoothness to your hair.
This brand is built for you as they have been created using the highest quality ingredients. This brand is committed to adapt to your feedback continuously.
This product is specific for using for heated styling, and this weightless mist protects your hair from heat exposure up to 450° F. All our need to do is spray it into your hair before styling with a flat iron, blow dryers and curling wands.
In addition to creating a nourishing, protective barrier between your hair and high-heat styling tools, their argan oil formula hydrates, detangles, speeds up drying time and boosts shine for you.
Get the vibrant, shiny and healthy styles that you always desired without damaging your hair.
This fantastic light thermal protection spray can definitely be used as a conditioning serum for optimal styling and finishing results. It has been infused with highly concentrated antioxidant-rich argan oil and shine-boosting vitamins.
Therefore, this argan oil heat protectant hydrates, detangles, speeds up drying time, gives great shine and creates a nourishing, protective barrier for your hair from high heat styling appliances hence, leaves you with healthier, smoother and more manageable each time.
This professional argan oil heat protectant is color safe, sulphate free, phosphate free and paraben free. Most importantly, it has not been tested on animals.
- Color safe
- Sulphate free
- Phosphate free
- Paraben free
- Extreme hair protectant
- Can be used as a leave in conditioning serum
- Premium quality high grade hair oil Infused with highly concentrated antioxidant-rich argan oil and shine-boosting vitamins
- Perfect for Natural hair and Human hair extensions.
2. Redken Extreme Play Safe Heat Protection and Damage Repair Treatment
The Redken Extreme Play Safe heat protectant spray is a multi benefit treatment leave in conditioner that protects the hair from eating by fortifying the strength of your hair and reducing hair damage. Apply it to a clean, damp hair before blow drying or heat styling and do not rinse it.
The product is best suitable for anyone prone to frequently using heat to style their hair with blow dryers, flat irons and curling irons. It not only protects your hair from damage but ensures to repair the existing damage and visibly reducing the appearance of split ends.
It is infused with plant proteins and tourmaline, which is known to reduce split ends by 70%. It fortifies hair fibre for less breakage (28% less breakage) and protects the hair from heat up to 450 degrees.
This brand at 5th Avenue NYC is a professional hair care and hair colour company which has dedicated itself to provide science baked products, inspiring education and unparalleled creativity for consumers and stylists.
- Play Safe Heat Protectant
- Reduces the appearance of split ends at the hair ends by 70%
- Protects hair against heat up to 450 degrees
- Reverses existing damage during heat styling
- Suited for all hair types
- Multi benefit treatment leave in conditioner
3. Hair Food Coconut & Argan Oil Heat Protectant Spray Blend
If you think your hair cannot handle the heat, and then trust them that you can with Hair Food Heat protection blend. This product is infused with coconut and argan oil.
This heat shield helps you to seal and protect your hair from heat damage up to 450 degree and gives it a healthy shine. It has everything you will need to nourish your hair and is made with thoughtfully curated ingredients.
It has no sulfates, no parabens and no dyes. Shake it well before use and spray liberally, section by section, before using heat. It is that simple! You’ll love the way it appears and makes you feel once you’ve achieved your perfect style.
Have no fear of blow-dryers or styling irons! They like to believe that what you put on your hair is as important as what you eat. They want to let you style to your heart’s content. Whether you have straight, wavy or curly hair, fine or thick,
Hair Food Protectant Spray protects it all. Not to forget it is blended with the essence of coconut for a refreshing, delicious scent.
- This product is infused with coconut and argan oil
- Protects your hair from heat damage up to 450 degree
- No sulphate
- No paraben
- Blended with the essence of coconut
4. CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal Protection Spray
This spray is a superior thermal protection spray that works from the inside out, which helps to protect hair from thermal damage and breakage. It is a weightless formula with no added build up. This helps to seal the cuticle and works to prevent future damage.
CHI hair care and tools are manufactured by Farouk Systems, which is a Houston based company. It comes with a comfortable brush glide formula which proves to be an ideal hair styling tool.
It is suitable for all hair types. The Iron Guard Thermal Protection Spray was launched by the design house of CHI.
- It comes with an easy brush glide formula that is an ideal styling tool for all your smooth and sleek styles
- It gives you superior heat protection for your hair
- A superior thermal protection spray that works from the inside out
- Suitable for all hair types
- The Iron Guard Thermal Protection Spray was launched by the design house of CHI
- It is recommended for casual wear
5. OGX Protecting + Silk Blowout Quick Drying Thermal Spray
Hair has a life of its own, and the OGX brand wants to make sure that it’s a full life. Their each innovative hair care formula has been made with exotic ingredients to help your hair shine, move, curl up, or hold tight, respectively.
You can transform your limp and dull hair into beautiful looking hair strands with the OGX Protecting Silk Blowout Quick Drying Thermal Spray that protects hair up to 450°F – preventing heart damage.
This blowout spray has unique featuring ingredients like such as hydrolyzed silk and quinoa to help prime hair for quick, shiny, and soft blowouts.
Shorten your blowout time and manage thick, frizzy hair by applying the hair spray to damp hair from roots to ends before blow-drying. The blowout hair primer spray also helps to prevent split ends in all hair texture.
Be ready to perform your best hair flip while rocking a big blowout after applying the thermal spray and style as you desire. Say “yes” to big, silky, sexy-looking hair!
They don’t try to make the hair look “perfect” because they’d instead make hair look fuller, smoother, curlier, or bouncier and smell irresistible.
- Blended with hydrolyzed silk & quinoa ingredients
- Formulated to cut drying time
- Protects hair up to 450°F for big, beautiful blowouts
- OGX products are inspired by nature
- Prevents split ends
6. L’Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heat Spray
This is a high performance styler that delivers soft and touchable results for up to 24 hours. It is supposed to lock in a weightless texture, density and volume by boosting it. You get a three day sleek style with the L’Oreal Paris Advanced hair spray.
This lightweight heat protectant spray has been specially formulated to offer 450 degree heat protection for any kind of heat tool.
The hair spray clams your frizzy hair and locks in style. All you should do is press the button to unlock trigger. Spray on damp or dry hair, section by section to keep it sleek as you desire to style with your heat tool.
- 3 Day Sleek Hair
- 450 Degree Heat Protection
- Calms hair frizz
- Seals in shine
- Lightweight Heat Protectant Spray
- Anti-frizz Spray for all heat tools
7. TRESemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Protective Spray
This brand needs no introduction as this brand s world famous for being used by salon experts. The customers swear by it and promise that this stuff works amazingly.
Customers strongly recommend it for using this hair spray along with a hair polisher. This spray is suited for all hair types.
This Tresemme hair spray leaves your hair incredibly soft and silky and leaves your hair with zero damage. This hair spray protects your hair from heat exposure and does not cause any split ends.
Even if your hair is oily, you have nothing to worry about as it does not leave your hair looking greasy at all. It is incredibly light weight and does not let your hair look sticky.
- Heat protection up to 450 degrees
- Works with heat appliances
- Works to protect hair from damage
- Non greasy look
- Weightless and non sticky
8. Moroccanoil Perfect Defense Hair Spray
This is a dry aerosol hair spray that protects hair against thermal damage up to 450⁰F/230⁰C. This is a weightless formula which has been infused with nourishing argan oil and panthenol which acts a catalyst to promote healthier looking hair.
This no hold spray blends seamlessly into any existing styling regimen to safeguard hair from hot tools. It would help if you misted gently evenly, 6 inches or 15 cm away from damp hair, and the comb thoroughly and blow dry.
It safeguards hair against the damaging effects of heat styling up to 450⁰F/230⁰C. Their unique dry spray application has made it possible to spray on second-day hair for touch-ups. It is suitable for all hair types and all forms of heat.
It leaves your hair strand with a natural movement. It has been fragranced with the signature Moroccan oil scent, an exotic blend of spicy amber aromas and sweet floral notes.
The reason for using argan oil is because it is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and essential fatty acids. It is a rare and precious oil that has been used for centuries to nourish hair and skin.
- Dry aerosol hair spray
- Protects hair against thermal damage
- Weightless formula
- Infused with nourishing argan oil and panthenol
- Fragranced with the signature Moroccan oil scent
9. Paul Mitchell Hot Off The Press Thermal Protection Spray
This hair spray protects the fragile strands from damage which is caused by heat styling. The hair spray boosts the hair’s strength, fights hair frizz and provides flexible hold.
The benefit of using the spray is that it consists of rice hull extract that builds a lightweight barrier between hair and heat tools, while wheat proteins deliver strength.
Spray on to dry, finished hair before using heat styling tools—the spray locks in the look that you desire to achieve. Turn up the heat quotient with Hot Off The Press from Paul Mitchell.
This quick-drying thermal protection hairspray helps to protect hair strands when using curling irons and flat irons. Their flexible-hold, humidity-resistant frizz-fighting formula is the perfect finishing touch.
It is ideal for any hair type, and it has a breezy, delicate scent with nice notes of Cara orange, white grapefruit and lily of the valley flavors.
Stylist Tip: You should apply it before using heat tools to protect hair from thermal damage and apply again after that to lock in the finished look.
Paul Mitchell is a line of trusted, affordable performance-driven hair care products for every hair type and amazingly good result.
- Boosts hair strength
- Humidity-resistant frizz-fighting formula
- Provides flexible hold
- Infused with rice hull extracts
- Contains wheat protein
- Breezy, delicate scent with notes of Cara orange, white grapefruit and lily of the valley
10. BIOLAGE Styling Thermal Active Spray
This Biolage styling thermal active spray protects your hair against heat for sleek and straight looks. It has a medium hold. It not only adds body and volume for long lasting control but also provides heat protection.
It would be great if you sprayed the protectant on wet or damp hair before blow drying or styling. This can also be used on dry hair with different heat tools.
The customers have given good reviews for the product and suggest that it leaves your hair looking gorgeous than ever before.
The brand is professional by nature and honest by choice. They are a recognized leader in professional hair care, and BIOLAGE offers high-quality, stylist-favourite products powered by botanicals. Apply on an individual subsection for consistent results.
- Thermal active hair spray
- It has a medium hold
- Adds body and volume
11. Kerotin Shine Mist Hair Spray
The Kerotin Mist is a weightless hair spray that controls frizz while adding on shine. The fine mist does not build up or weigh down the hair and is the perfect touch up for your style.
It contains natural algae extracts that tend to moisturize and smoothen your hair. It offers thermal and environmental protection which is a unique approach to promoting healthy hair while styling.
It has been manufactured in the US and is cruelty free. Their products aren’t tested on animals. It is free from paraben and sodium chloride as well.
It allows your style to last longer than usual, regardless of the weather. You need not worry about frizz even on humid days with a beautiful style.
Apply Kerotin Mist before using heating tools and is protected against heat damage that can lead to dry and brittle hair.
- Adds shine, suppleness, and sheen to even the frizziest of hair
- Includes natural ingredients like algae & seaweed extracts for a gorgeous gloss
- No paraben
- No sodium chloride
- Salon quality formula
- Not tested on animals
12. John Frieda Frizz Ease 3-day Flat Iron Spray
The John Frieda hydrates your hair and even outs the hair to make styling much more comfortable. It is formulated with keratin to help nourish your hair.
This heat activated hair spray works very well with a flat iron to keep your hairstyle straight for longer hours without requiring heat touch ups.
It keeps your hair smooth and keeps away any frizz, keeping it silky straight for up to three days. It has been infused with hydrating milk protein and sweet almond oil. John Frieda Frizz Flat Iron Spray is heat-activated.
It’s been formulated with a blend of polymers with keratin protein, the weightless formula wraps each strand of hair, sealing in straight style without weighing it down.
The result is much glossier, and you can rightly expect it to give lasting results until your next shampoo.
- Smooth results that last up to 3 days, or your next shampoo
- Uniquely formulated Flat Iron Spray
- It is a blend of polymers with keratin protein
- Weightless spray with anti frizz formula
- Combine with John Frieda Frizz Ease Shampoo and Conditioner for frizz fighting results from wild, unmanageable hair
- Infused with hydrating milk protein and sweet almond oil
Buyer Guide to Select the Best Heat Protectant Spray for Hair
It is tough to determine which one would be best for you. There are big brands available, but it is never a guarantee that they will be great or will deliver the exact results as they promise which can be disappointing.
Hence, we have compiled a few factors that you should consider before purchasing a heat protectant.
1. Hair Type
First and foremost, you have to consider the hair type that you will be working with. Look for the heat protectant that has either been specially created for your hair type or is compatible for your hair type.
For example, if your hair is fine, then you may want to go for a lightweight spray. The heat protectant serums can be a bit heavier and best for thicker hair types. So be careful while making this choice.
You should be extra careful with the ingredients that have been put to make the product. Especially choose that heat protectant that is free from ingredients like sulphates and parabens. Search for high quality ingredients like natural oils, like argan oils or almond oils.
You need to go through the convenience of the product because some can be applied to both damp and dry hair, whereas some specifically require one or the other. If you are someone who frequently washes their hair, you can go for the spray which needs damp hair.
But if you do not wash your hair very often and instead like to touch up your look then buy a spray that can be easily applied to dry hair as well.
Check for the lasting capacity of the product. Some can last up to 24 hours while some may last up to 3 days to your next hair wash. You would want a long lasting hair spray for yourself.
5. Heat Protection
Check the temperature up to which they protect your hair from heat damage, while most heat protectants provide heat protection for average temperature, the good ones protect up to 450 degrees. If it is also giving thermal protection, then it indeed is a good protectant spray.
Styling your hair and using hot tools has been utterly typical, and this can lead to a lot of hair damage. We want you to think about the quality of your hair and always use heat protectant sprays for yourself so that you don’t regret later on and style as much as you want without stressing.