Best Hair Chalk – Top 5 Picks | How to Apply Hair Chalk – DOs and DON’Ts
Do you want to experiment with crazy and bright hair color but are scared of how the end result would look? Or will it even suit your skin tone or not? Your answer is hair chalk. You can playfully try out different hair colors which are temporary and washes out without damaging your hair.
The hair chalks are semi permanent hair color. These hair chalks can last up to 3 days depending on how often you tend to wash your hair. Also, if you want a different color every few days, then this is the best product available for you.
The hair color sticks are meant to add a gorgeous look to your hair and beautify it. If you are a person who loves to be bold and try vibrant colors, then these hair colors come in a wide range of color that allows you to manifest your inner unicorn.
What is Hair Chalk?
Soft pastels simply make hair chalk. These pastels are mixed up together with dry pigment, some chalk and a binder altogether. It comprises calcium carbonate and is blended together with slit and clay. Some chalks are mixed with pigments to create those paler tints of pastel shades.
List of Top 5 Best Hair Chalks Available in Market
Buyer’s Guide to Select the Best Hair Chalk
- Ingredients used: Some hair chalk kits may contain ingredients such as dyes or colorants, chemicals or preservatives, which are generally not allowed to be used since they may cause severe allergic reactions to the head, scalp, skin and hair.
- Distance from Scalp: It is ideal for keeping your hair more than or two inches away from the root of the hair to avoid any kind of allergic reaction to the scalp. Keeping it two inches away from your hairline is necessary as the color can run like crazy.
- Signs to look for: To be extra precautions you should look for signs like non-toxic, non-allergic, non-damaging and water soluble which is a guarantee that your hair will not suffer from significant damage. This should be a fun process and not something harmful, which gives you bad experiences.
- Cruelty free and not tested on animals: You want to have fun but not at the cost of some innocent animal. Hence, look if the product has been tested on animals or not and do not use one that has been tested on animals.
- Customer reviews: There is nothing more truthful and honest than a customer’s personal experience from using the product. So before you chose any product, look for its ratings and what the customers felt after using the product.
Top 5 Best Hair Chalks: Review
1. Hair Chalk, 24 Colors Hair Chalk Pens
This hair color is non-toxic, non-allergenic, non-damaging and water soluble it is. They can stay up to three days and are easily washable. They can be blended easily and can create the perfect ombre effect.
100% safe for use for girls, kids, teens to use. The product is not as effective when used on dark hair. They work amazingly on all natural hair colors.
This product is great for gifting to kids and teens aged three and plus. They have a wide range, including 24 different shades. They are perfect for your DIY creation.
It is quick and super easy to apply. You can change the color every single day. It can be used for daily hair dress, Carnival, Cosplay, stage performance, and all themed parties.
How to use it:
- Wet and comb your hair
- Apply the chalk on your hair from the top to the bottom.
- Dry your hair naturally or with by using a hair dryer
- They provide you with a disposable shawl and a mini comb for free, so don’t worry about dirty clothes or hands for your convenience.
- Assorted 24 most bright colors hair chalk pens are present for wide applications.
- You can use them individually or mix several color hair chalk.
- You can change your color at any time.
- More convenient than permanent hair colors.
- Non toxic
- Non allergic
- Non damaging
- Water soluble
- Stays up to three days
- They are also great for kids face painting or for occasions like painting Easter eggs.
2. Girl Zone Hair Chalk Set
Switch from expensive hair colors and give a try to this temporary metallic color for beautiful layered hair. They have a slight glittery look that also lasts up to three days. Their creamy application seals in color in just 60 seconds.
Add stripes of different colors to create a rainbow look which is a fashion statement of the season. You need no hairspray to make the color set in with zero mess.
This set includes a superset of 10 Hair chalks that will give your children hours of fun, creating the ultimate hair color. This hair chalk set lasts up to 80 applications per hair chalk pen.
This chalk set does not break easily in their hands. The Hair Chalk pens rotate so you can control the length of the hair chalk. It makes great face paint and completely comes off the skin.
Keep applying it until you get the desired color you wish to have. This hair color is safe, non-allergenic and water-soluble. The colors are temporary, but the fun is permanent. They work much better on light-colored hair.
Designed for easy application, be bold with a single color, shine with a metallic shade, or create your own fabulous combinations to match your outfit or suit your mood.
It comes in cute packaging, and it is strongly not recommended for children under three years old.
- Set includes ten fantastic temporary hair chalks – last for 80 applications per pen.
- The hair chalk pens make great face paints too & easy to remove from the skin.
- Five vibrant & 5 metallic colors – fully safe and compliant ingredients.
- Ideal Christmas gifts for eight year old girls.
- On trend, gifts for children delivered straight to your door.
- Lasts up to three days.
- Safe to use.
- Non allergic.
- Water soluble.
3. New Hair Chalk Comb Temporary Bright Hair Color Dye
This hair color combs product comes in six bright colors. They can easily be applied to each hair strand from root to tip. It does not leave your hair looking patchy.
These hair chalks work well on light brown and blonde hair. Just sprinkle some water before brushing, if you have a dark colored hair. Also, these colors are non-toxic and non-allergenic.
This hair chalk color can be super fun dying experience. You can transform your look in just about no time. It is a good choice to be a gift.
The paint is temporary, so you can use any other color and keep trying new things. It is a nice idea to apply it to kids aged three and plus.
Follow the steps for better application:
- Step 1: Spray the hair that you desire to dye with water.
- Step 2: Straighten the hair that you are going to dye first, then comb clockwise.
- Step 3: After dyeing, you can use a comb or hair dryer to create your favorite hairstyle within minutes.
- Comes in six vibrant hair chalk colors: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, and Rose.
- Can be blended together or used individually.
- The chalk might be a little sticky.
- Can be cleaned simply by washing your hair as normal with water and shampoo.
- Non allergic
- Non toxic
- Water soluble
- Environment friendly
- Finalize your hair with gel or hairspray
- Lasts up to three days
- A cool gift for each of your family and friends.
4. Alex Spa Deluxe Hair Chalk
Are you looking for coloring your hair quickly for a theme party? This product is perfect for you. They offer seven different bright colors with five metallic glitters.
Their creamy consistency makes it easy to apply with no dryness or damage. Add temporary streaks to create unique hairstyles with these washable chalk pens.
The kit comes with 12 shades, a beading tool, 30 elastics, and a comb. This kit is recommended for children who are 8-years of age and up.
It allows your children to show off their true colors. Kids can learn easily how to make their own crafts by using the step-by-step instructions included and tools for adding beads into their pretty hair.
Endless color combinations and a variety of designs foster creativity in children of all ages. Salon It makes the perfect gift for any child and presents them with a great opportunity for groups of kids to make their own styles together.
It lets you add bright colors and metallic shine to your styling hair! It is easy to apply to dry hair, the chalks come in colors that pop, so it’s easy to match an outfit or fit your mood.
The metallic shades glitter in the light, and you can also add strands of beads to get even more shimmer.
- Hair color and accessories
- 12 bright colors and glittery metallics
- Add strands of shimmering beads.
- Includes 12 washable hair chalk pens (0.2oz.), storage case, 30 beads, beading tool, comb, 30 hair elastics and easy instructions
- Recommended for children eight years of age and older
5. Jumbo Hair Chalk Pens
These scented rainbow colors can make your hair look amazing and smell amazing. It includes six blendable colors that can be a great look for braids, streaks, beachy waves, etc. These vibrant chalk shades last up to three days without any fading.
They glide smoothly onto your locks and deposit very quickly. They work better on brunette and blonde hair. With every stroke, you can apply plenty of colors evenly.
There is no need for hair spray. It sets quickly and leaves no mess. Each tube rolls up the vibrant blendable rainbow color and rubs on hair smoothly.
They are semi permanent and last up to three days. Safe for hair and skin. Non Toxic. Blend one color into another to achieve a blended look.
Over 80 Applications per Stick. Just color into hair and brush. The color will set all on its own. Blend as many colors into hair as you like.
- Scented hair chalks
- Lasts up to 3 days
- Non toxic
- Suitable for all ages
- Easily blendable
- Self Seal in 60 Seconds
- No Need For Hair Spray
- Tricky to apply on dark hair
- Do not touch it when it is wet
- It could be sticky
How to Apply Hair Chalk
- A shampoo
- A cup of water
- Wide-toothed comb
- A straightener ( optional)
- Shampoo and dry your hair before brushing the locks thoroughly.
- Wear gloves to avoid any type of staining.
- Wet your hair a little for getting maximum deposition and for sealing in color quickly.
Procedure: Step by Step
- Step 1: Choose your favorite chalk pastel that is free of toxic ingredients like lead and cadmium. This ensures that your hair is free from any kind of damage or dryness.
- Step 2: Wet your hair to intensify the hair chalk’s pigment much more. If you have blonde hair, you can leave out this step as your hair color is already in a lighter shade. But if you have dark hair, it can get tricky to apply it to your hair.
- Step 3: Take a section of your hair and use your thumb to glide the chalk sideways along the length of your hair. Ensure that you reach out to each hair strand, especially those on the inner corners. This will make sure that the hair color does not look patchy on any side.
- Step 4: Remember to rub the chalk downward, and not in an upward direction to avoid friction or any patchiness. Rubbing the chalk to and fro leads to additional hair damage. Another step you can include that you can twist your hair as you color it with hair chalk. This will help you coat your hair in an even manner. Remember to always be gentle with your hair.
- Step 5: Brush your hair thoroughly to be able to spread the product evenly. This will blend the color perfectly without any spots here and there. Do not pull down the brush harshly because that causes breakage of hair which only exposes your hair to harsh conditions.
- Step 6: Use hairspray and a straightener (or curling iron) to seal the chalk’s color and finish the look with an amazing output. Some hair chalks say that you do not need to use hair spray as well, but if you still desire to use a hair spray to ensure that the color stays fixed, then there is no harm in doing so.
Useful Tips for Best Results When Hair Chalk Applied
- Begin with dry hair at all times.
- Clear out the hair knots before applying.
- To get the chalk to hold better, spray the ends of your hair with dry shampoo or texture spray.
- If you possess dark hair, dampen your hair so that the color stays better.
- To avoid any kind of mess at your place, cover the area with towels or spare clothes.
- Wear gloves to avoid the color to transfer into your hands. Even though it washes off easily, it’s best to avoid getting it onto your hands.
- Cover your pillow with a spare cloth or towel to avoid staining your bed.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner to keep your hair soft after the chalk is on. If you possess blonde hair, avoid getting your hair too wet.
- After washing the chalk color, use deep conditioning treatment later because the chalk traps moisture and makes your hair feel dry.
Things you should avoid while applying Hair Chalk
- Do not color your hair with a serum or any other product before using the hair chalk in your hair.
- Use protective or spare clothing and sleep on an old pillowcase to avoid any typical color staining.
- It is best recommended to not try this method on rainy days.
Is Hair Chalk Safe?
Yes, most hair calks are completely safe for use as they do not have any permanent results. They are mostly non toxic in nature and are great for children for using it as a fun activity. It does not cause any kind of harm and is safe to use.
Being a semi-permanent color, it typically washes off within three days and does not stay longer than that. It is great for use sometimes, yet if you use it very often, it might make your hair dry.
Excessive usage of anything gives a bad output. But if you plan to use it on special occasions, then it is a guarantee that they won’t cause any kind of long-term damage to your hair. They can be a bit sticky at first.
Does Hair Chalk Washout Easily?
Yes, hair chalks wash off very easily since they are semi-permanent hair colors. You can use a hair spray after using the chalk so that your hair color can stay for longer periods. Since it can be washed off easily, you can go on experimenting with your hair more often.
How long does Hair Chalk Last?
Most hair chalk-making companies promises that they last up to three days at a maximum. Normally, one should assume them to last up to a minimum of two days. You should also remember that it is subjective depending on the type of hair color you have.
If you are blonde or someone with lighter hair color, the chalks can last longer whereas if you have dark hair, the color can fade away quicker.