Dreadlocks have gained very high popularity in today’s fashion-oriented world. The so-called “dreads” or “locs” are formed by twisting, interlocking, or braiding the strands. The dreads that are styled with a smooth, shiny, and healthy radiance tend to be more attractive than those with dry and stinky features.
The dreadlock wax is one such product that aids in attaining such eye-catching locs. It shall be used in both dread-forming and maintenance phases.
In the beginning stage, the dread wax is mainly used to tame the tresses together for creating perfectly-blended locs. While it helps to stock-up the newly-grown shafts with the dreads in the maintenance phase.
The dread wax helps to maintain the perfection of the locs by keeping the strands in-place without creating spring-outs or frizzes. For getting more information on the importance of dreadlock waxes, just keep reading!
Table of Contents
- 1 Editor’s Pick : The Best Dreadlock Wax
- 2 Buyer Guide to Select the Best Dreadlock Wax
- 3 Best Dreadlock Wax – Top 7 Picks
Editor’s Pick : The Best Dreadlock Wax
If you dont have enough time to check out all 7 dreadlock wax products we reviewed below, we suggest you to go for Lockology Coconut Lemongrass Dread Wax.
- Electric Lizard Green Hair Dye Color; A Bright Neon Green Hair Dye That Looks As Electric As It Sounds; This Shade Glows Brightly Under Black Lights; For Best Results We Recommend Lightening Your Hair To The Lightest Level Ten Blonde Before Use
- Mixable Colors And Tones; MANIC PANIC Hair Colors Are Safe To Mix To Create Custom Shades Making The Possibilities Of Shades Endless; Combine Any Formula With The Pastelizer To Create Soft Trendy Pastel Hues; Ready To Use No Developer Required
- Semi Permanent Hair Dye; Formula Gradually Fades In Four To Six Weeks Because It Does Not Penetrate The Cortex Of Your Hair But Simply Rests On Top Of The Hair Shaft
- Cruelty Free And Vegan Formula; This Color Cream Hair Dye Features Vegan Ingredients Tested On Celebrities Not Animals; Hair Color Is Ammonia Free Paraben Free Gluten Free Resorcinol Free Phthalate Free And Peta Accredited
- For Best Results; Vibrant Color Results Are Best Achieved By Applying To Hair That Has Been Pre Lightened With MANIC PANIC Flash Lightning Bleach Kits; Bleaching Thoroughly To A Level Nine Or Ten Before Dyeing Is Recommended For The Best Results
Though all the above-discussed dreadlock waxes play a remarkable role in forming and maintain the locs, Lockology Coconut Lemongrass Dread Wax stays unique! It is made of 100% natural ingredients with no chemicals and it ensures long-lasting hold of the dreads with utmost perfection.
It contains intense moisturization and conditioning benefits that keep the locs shiny, healthy, and energetic. It boast-in essential nutrients and vitamins that keep the scalp healthy and prevent hair damages while twisting.
These nutrients also stimulate the growth of new hair that further improve the attractiveness of your dreads.
Its carefully-created formula prevents the formation of dandruff and scalp build-ups. It also aids in relaxing the mind. So, this product tends to fulfill all your dread-formation need when used rightly!
Buyer Guide to Select the Best Dreadlock Wax
For getting an optimum result out of dreadlock wax, look for the following criteria while making your purchase decision:
1. Binding Capability
The main purpose of using any dreadlock wax is to hold-up the existing locks in place for a long-lasting period and bind the new locks with dread. So, while selecting the product, go for the dread wax with the high binding feature.
If you are the one with coarse and unmanageable hair strands, a dread wax with strong taming and the binding property is what you want! For such coarse hair, we’ve included dreadlocks wax for hard-to-tame hair types.
The presence of beeswax in the product shall help better holding of the strands in the formation of dreads.
Whenever you over-twist your locks for creating the dreads, you restrict the flow of moisture between the root and tresses.
As a result, your hair becomes extremely dry, dull, and damaged. So, while selecting your dreadlock wax, opt for one with maximum moisturizing features.
The presence of essential oils and natural extracts shall ensure such deep-moisturized and conditioned results to the shafts and scalp. It shall prevent hair breakages and make the dreads look healthy, shine, and rejuvenated.
3. Preventing Scalp Build-ups
Scalp infections and build-ups are the next important issue you may face on developing dreads.
The dreadlock wax with antioxidants shall resolve this issue effectively and provide healthy and hygienic hair follicles.
It will also promote the growth of new hairs and make the dreads even more energetic.
Best Dreadlock Wax – Top 7 Picks
Based on the above-discussed criteria, the 7 best dreadlock waxes have been selected and made an in-depth discussion on their features and highlighted benefits.
1. Lockology Coconut Lemongrass Dread Wax
By using Lockology Coconut Lemongrass Dread Wax, you can nourish and strengthen your hair along with attaining perfect dreads.
It contains a blend of natural ingredients such as coconut oil, castor oil, lemongrass essential oil, and others along with vitamin E.
These nutrient-rich ingredients highly condition, hydrates, and strengthens the shafts from the root.
They make the scalp nourished and promote the growth of rejuvenated strands. Its moisturizing feature makes the strands look naturally shiny and healthy.
The strong-binding formula of this wax best tames the frizzy and coarse ends and furnishes tight and exquisite locs for a long-lasting period.
It obliterates the possibility of developing bacteria and build-ups on scalps and ensures hygienic dreads.
Highlighted Features of Lockology Coconut Lemongrass Dread Wax
- Contains 100% natural ingredients that nourish and strengthen the shafts.
- Ensures deep moisturization of dreads for an improved look.
- Strong-binding property holds the dreads for a long-lasting period.
- Conditions the scalp and obliterates the issues of dandruff build-ups.
- Accelerate the growth of new hair and prevent hair breakages.
- Furnish naturally shine, rejuvenated look to the dreads.
2. Jamaican Mango & Lime Resistant Formula Locking Firm Wax
If hard-to-lock is the hair type you have, Jamaican Mango & Lime Resistant Formula Locking Firm Wax could be your first option.
This dreadlock wax is featured with the benefits of natural extracts such as honey, beeswax, lime and mango extract, safflower seed oil, and others.
These ingredients aids in both the locs creation and maintenance phase. They ensure extra-hold to all hair types including the hard-to-lock, coarse type, and provide alluring perfection to your strands.
The presence of honey and botanical extracts locks-in the essential moisture-content and prevents the tresses from creating dull, brittle, and dehydrated mane.
This dread wax boast-in the essential nutrients to the locks and makes them nourished and rejuvenated. It helps to improve the look of the dreads and prevent breakages while twisting the tresses.
The presence of antioxidants keeps the bacteria formation away from the scalp. It helps to maintain clean and healthy dreads.
The best part of this dreadlock wax is that it ensures the holding of the dreads without creating greasy or sticky residue.
This feature makes the dreads feel light and easy. It is free from mineral oils, parabens, and other harsh chemicals. It also stays fit for grey hair.
Highlighted Features of Jamaican Mango & Lime Resistant Formula Locking Firm Wax
- Boasted-up with natural ingredients that helps to hydrate and nourish the dreads with botanical extracts.
- Ensures strong holding on coarse, hard-to-hold hair type for getting perfect dreads.
- Prevents the chances of hair damages while twisting the tresses.
- Contains antioxidants that keep the bacteria away from the scalp.
- Ensures smooth, hydrated, healthy, and well-braided dreads.
- Works well on grey hair.
3. Dread Head HQ Dread Wax
For enjoying quickly and tightly braided locs with utmost hygiene, Dread Head HQ Dread Wax could aid you through it! This dreadlock wax contains the ingredients of beeswax, hemp seed oil, vitamin E, and others.
These ingredients ensure taming and tight-locking of the strands into carefully-twisted dreads at ¼ times quicker pace.
They help to make the strands clubbed-up together that make the dread-formation deeper and faster.
This wax ensures intense hydrating results that keep the locs away from a dull and dehydrated appearance.
It locks the essential nutrients and keeps the hair away from damages and breakages. Its gentle formula protects the scalp against bacteria and infection build-up.
A smaller quantity of Dread Head HQ Dread Wax shall produce firmer locs with a light feel.
If long-term commitment is what you are interested in, this wax shall help you through it on proper usage.
Highlighted Features of Dread Head HQ Dread Wax
- Ensures tightly-braided dreads at a quicker pace.
- Makes the locs hydrated and strong.
- Feels light on the head with better-locking features.
- Protects the hair against damages with its nutrient-boosting benefit.
- Aids in long-term dreads on proper usage.
- Do not create oily build-ups on the scalp.
4. Vegan Dread Wax for Dreadlocks
Vegan Dread Wax For Dreadlocks is a 100% vegan product filled-up with all-natural, organic ingredients.
The presence of cocoa butter, vitamin E oil, candelilla wax, hemp seed oil, coconut oil, and olive oil makes this wax the best for making and maintaining dreads.
With its gentle yet powerful ingredients, this product ensures strong and tightly-braided dreads with utmost holding benefits.
Its natural extracts seal moisture and nutrients that furnish a well-hydrated, healthy, and rejuvenated look. It prevents the damages and breakages of hair while creating the locs.
The presence of natural oils condition and lubricate the hair and scalp and keep them away from brittles and frizzes.
Vegan Dread Wax For Dreadlocks shall also help in creating the temporary dreads. It provides the look of tightly braided, alluring perfection to the locs!
Highlighted Features of Vegan Dread Wax For Dreadlocks
- Tends to be 100% vegan with natural ingredients.
- Locks-in essential moisture and strengthen-up the strands with nutrient-contents.
- Prevents the dreads from breakages while twisting.
- Aids in both formation and maintenance phases.
- Ensures tight, rejuvenated, and healthy dreads with a lightweight feel.
5. Knotty Boy Dark Dreadlock Wax
Knotty Boy Dark Dreadlock Wax provides the best holding result on all hair types including the frizziest and hard-to-hold hair.
As the name suggests, it best suits dark hair colors such as medium brown, dark red, and black hair.
This dreadlock wax is packed with natural ingredients such as beeswax, castor seed oil, shea butter, hemp seed oil, avocado oil, kukui seed oil, jojoba seed oil, vitamin E, black walnut extract, and others.
These active ingredients prevent the damages of dread-formation by making the shafts healthy and energetic. They do intense hydration and conditioning of the dreads.
Despite its strong and solid binding formula, it tends to stay light on the dread without creating greasy or oily build-ups.
It is ensures easy-washing of the dreadlocks and contains no fragrances, preservatives, or other harsh chemicals.
Highlighted features of Knotty Boy Dark Dreadlock Wax
- Filled-up with hydrating and nutrient-locking ingredients.
- Make the dreads and scalp well moisturized and conditioned.
- Best taming of the frizziest strands and strong holding of the dreads.
- Aids in forming and maintain the locs of dark hair types.
- Lightweight wax without creating oily residues.
6. IRIE DREAD Creme Locking Wax
IRIE DREAD Creme Locking Wax shall do the best on taming and locking the most stubborn and coarse hair into fine dreads!
This wax is made of the best Caribbean ingredients including beeswax, passion fruit seed oil, papaya seed oil, olive fruit oil, and others.
These ingredients boost the moisture-content to the shafts and make the dreads look smooth, shiny, and well-braided with no signs of frizzes and flaws.
They also condition the scalp and keep it away from build-ups and dryness. This wax seals essential vitamins that prevent hair breakages from twisting.
This dreadlocks wax can provide promising results in the formation and maintenance phase with its strong-holding feature.
Highlighted Features of IRIE DREAD Creme Locking Wax
- With-holds dreads on coarse, stubborn hair types.
- Locks-in essential moisture and nutrient-content that keep the locs shine and energetic.
- Prevent the shafts and scalp from infections and build-ups.
- Conditions the scalp deeply.
7. Stylin’ Dredz Mouldin’ Gel Wax
Stylin’ Dredz Mouldin’ Gel Wax helps to create and maintain healthy and exquisite dreads with its rich ingredients!
It has a strong holding feature that ensures to keep the locs in-place for a long-lasting period.
The presence of tea tree oil and glycerine moisturizes the shafts and makes the dreads soft, shiny, healthy, and energetic.
Its antioxidant feature protects the scalp against dandruff-creating bacteria and build-ups. It also boast-in essential vitamins and promotes healthy hair growth while preventing it from breakages.
Highlighted Features of Stylin’ Dredz Mouldin’ Gel Wax
- Aids in forming and maintaining the healthy and perfect dreads.
- Tames and holds the coarse hairs for a long-lasting period.
- Contains the benefits of tea tree oil that moisturize, condition, and strengthens the strands and scalp.
- Promotes hair growth and prevents hair fall.
Dread wax tends to be the most essential product that helps to maintain the perfection and attractiveness of your locs with no signs of spring-outs.
It stimulates the formation of dreads by holding the roll-ups tightly. Using the dread wax also prevent your hair from moisture-loss, dullness, and breakages.
The over-usage of the wax shall result in heavy-weight and scalp build-ups. So, use an optimum amount that would be sufficient for your hair for enjoying the best result.
For getting an optimum result, dry-out your dreads after using the wax under the hairdryer for about 20 minutes. This process will help your hair to stay out of stinky smell creation.
Also, the dread wax is not the product to be used continuously. Its result may prolong from a few weeks to few months. So, use the product based on your hair type and binding requirement.
You may now select your dread wax from the above-discussed list and enjoy alluringly perfect dreads!