African American hair is a type with specialized features and attractiveness among others. It always stands unique with its eye-catching dense and bouncier look. But, one of the most important issues with this hair type is dandruff.
Afro-textured, kinky, or curly hair type often experience excess sebum on the root that shall easily attract dandruff-creating fungus and bacteria. On contrary, their strands suffer from extreme moisture-loss due to their overly-curl nature that leads to easy breakages and split-ends.
So, if you have daily hair washes with the aspect to clean-off your scalp dirt, you are just over-drying your tresses that lead to heavy hair fall.
So, the dandruff shampoo with both exfoliating and moisturizing features could be the major solution for this issue.
If you are looking for such a heavenly product for your dark hair, this article would definitely help you through it!
Best Dandruff Shampoo for African American Hair – Top 12 Picks
- Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo
- Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Boost Shampoo
- Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo Scalp Build-Up Control
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Shampoo
- Selsun Blue Moisturizing Dandruff Shampoo with Aloe
- BIOLAGE Scalpsync Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-dandruff Shampoo
- MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo
- ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo Kit
- Maple Holistics Tea Tree Special Formula Shampoo
- The SIMPL Essentials Stem Cell Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Buyer Guide to Select the Best Dandruff Shampoos for African American Hair
Before selecting the product, take care of the following criteria to make your purchase-effort highly productive, and satisfactory for your curly hair!
The presence of excess oil on the scalp is the main reason for dandruff-formation on the black hair. But daily hair wash is definitely not recommended for such overly curly hairs.
So, the shampoo with the best exfoliating ingredients such as salicylic acid, tea tree oil, Pyrithione Zinc, castor oil, peppermint oil, and can treat this issue effectively.
By exfoliating the scalp, you can stay away from flaky scalp build-ups for 3-7 days that you may not have to wash your hair more than twice a week.
We’ve discussed the shampoos with such scalp-exfoliating features in this article.
2. Moisturizing Benefit
Curly hair types restrict the flow of sebum and moisture from the root to ends that result in extreme dryness on strands. Also, the scalp-exfoliation process strip-out the natural oil from the scalp.
So, along with the exfoliating feature, you should also look for intense-moisturizing ingredients to lock-in the optimum hydration to the scalp and strand.
3. Soothing And Relaxing Features
Dandruff will naturally lead to issues of itchiness, irritations, and flakiness that make your scalp highly damaged and painful.
The ingredients such as aloe leaf extract, salicylic acid, Pyrithione Zinc, etc., are all rich in soothing benefits that calm the scalp of your spring hair type.
4. Consider Your Hair Type
The afro-textured hair tends to be naturally curly and dry over the normal hair types. In particular, if you often entertain your strands with dynamic hair colors, your hair will definitely require extra-care shampoos for combating the dryness and damages.
So, select the appropriate dandruff shampoos for your colored and chemically-treated kinky hairs. In this article, we’ve included the shampoos suitable for such specially treated hairs too!
12 Best Dandruff Shampoos for African American Hair
Based on the above-discussed criteria, we’ve selected the 12 best dandruff shampoos for African American black hair and discussed their features and benefits!
1. Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Put a permanent stop to all your dandruff-related concerns with the medically-certified Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo! The presence of ketoconazole makes this shampoo suited for kinky hair types.
Ketoconazole is a type of antifungal medicine that fights against dandruff breakouts from the root and keeps the issues of flaking, scaling, itching, and others at bay.
The gentle and safe formula of this product acts as a perfect solution for the color and chemical-treated tresses. It treats dandruff without stripping-out the hue or creating scalp irritations.
Its specialized formula makes the afro-textured hair balance-hydrated and replaces dry and brittle strands with soft, smooth, and radiant shine.
It prevents excess hair loss by strengthening the hair follicles and stimulates the growth of new, healthy, and bouncy shafts!
Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo ensures a rich foamy-lather that ensures hygienic cleansing of the scalp. It leaves behind a mesmerizing fragrance to your locks with freshness feel throughout the day!
Be sure to use this medicine-cum-shampoo twice a week in between your regular shampoos to enjoy optimum benefits for your black hair!
Highlighted Features of Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Boasted-with an antifungal ingredient called Ketoconazole that treats and obliterates the dandruff-related issues of kinky hair.
- Soothes and prevents the scalp from itchiness, flakiness, and scaling.
- Makes the hair soft, smooth, and rejuvenated with glass-like shine.
- Stops excess hair fall and stimulates new hair growth.
- Clinically proven, medicine-cum-shampoo.
- Ensures thorough cleansing of the scalp and furnishes fresh fragrance to the locks.
2. Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo
Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo is one such product that shall treat your oily scalp and dry tresses with the unique ingredients that stays more apt to African American hair!
This best shampoo is focused to treat all your dandruff-related issues in a single go.
It contains a blend of Piroctone Olamine and Climbazole, which possess strong anti-fungal properties and dandruff-fighting benefits for your oily scalp.
This blend alleviates dandruff and soothes the scalp against itches, flakes, and irritations.
The salicylic acid does an exfoliation process to shed the dead skin cells in the scalp and promotes the growth of new energetic cells.
It again removes-off the excess sebum and bacteria that ensures a thoroughly cleaned-up scalp.
The inclusion of lactic acid regulates the natural sebum production that helps to maintain the moisture balance on the hair.
The presence of botanical extracts such as rosemary oil, ginger extract, and menthol along with salicylic acid maintains the balanced moisture and oil of your kinky tresses.
They keep your overly-curly locks hydrated, frizz-free, and shine ever, and calms the scalp against inflammations.
Massaging the Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo on the scalp and rinsing it off after 2 minutes shall produce promising hair strengthening results.
Highlighted Features of Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo
- Best anti-dandruff shampoo that ensures an overall benefit to your oily scalp and dry tresses.
- The blend of Piroctone Olamine and Climbazole actively fight against dandruff and treats the issues of scalp irritations, itchiness, and flakiness.
- Its moisturizing ingredients maintain the natural moisture and oil of the tresses to make them hydrated, soft, and shiny with no signs of frizzes.
- Salicylic acid does scalp-exfoliation that ensures a clean scalp and prevents the formation of dandruff.
- Promotes the growth of new, thick and healthy strands.
3. Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Boost Shampoo
Provide intense care to your ravishing black hair with the carefully-formulated Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Boost Shampoo!
As the name suggests, this shampoo provides unique care to zap-out your dandruff-related issues while boosting the moisture balance of your tresses.
It contains an active ingredient of Pyrithione Zinc that contains incomparable anti-bacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties for agro-textured hair.
It sloughs-off the dandruff-creating bacteria and soothes the scalp against dandruff itches, flakes, and irritations.
The inclusion of coconut oil is another highlight of this product. This moisture-retention ingredient locks-in the essential moisture to your dry strands and scalp and make your curls look ultra-shine, frizz-free, and glamour throughout the day. It also aids in alleviating dandruff and inflammations.
Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Boost Shampoo plays a remarkable role in controlling excess hair fall and boosting the growth of shiny and rejuvenated new shafts.
Highlighted Features of Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Boost Shampoo
- Contains Pyrithione Zinc that alleviates scalp build-up and dandruff-related issues on African American hair.
- Sooth the scalp against irritations, itchiness, and flakiness.
- Has the features of coconut oil that balances optimum moisture-level on the shafts.
- Controls excess hair fall and promotes the growth of new hair.
- Makes the tresses soft, shiny and beautiful throughout the day.
4. Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo Scalp Build-Up Control
Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo Scalp Build-Up Control is the best Black hair shampoo that treats intensive scalp issues including scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff.
It is featured with 3% salicylic acid to prevent crusty scalp build-up on afro-textured hair.
It does a scalp exfoliation process to zap-out the dead and infectious skin cells and promotes the regeneration of energetic new cells.
It soothes and calms the dandruff-related irritations and itchiness for a long-lasting period.
The conditioning formula is best suited for your dry tresses and scalp to make them hydrated, soft, smooth, and manageable throughout the day. It locks-in the balanced moisture content.
Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo Scalp Build-Up Control is free from color, fragrance, preservatives, and harsh chemicals.
It is a dermatologist-tested product that is suited for kinky hair types. You can enjoy an intense-treatment result from the first wash!
Highlighted Features of Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo Scalp Build-Up Control
- Contains a scalp-exfoliating ingredient of salicylic acid that prevents the scalp build-up and formation of allergies and dandruff.
- Zap-out the dead cells and promote the growth of energetic new cells.
- Ensures the best solution for hair fall and promotes the growth of new shiny locks.
- Contains the conditioning feature that makes the shafts soft, shine, and frizz-free throughout the day.
- Free from fragrance, colors, and other harsh chemicals.
5. SheaMoisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Shampoo
Are you looking for the shampoo to pamper-up your African American hair with African Black soap that ensures the visual transformation of your kinky hair right from the first use? SheaMoisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Shampoo could be your best choice!
The presence of African black soap that is made of botanical extracts such as willows, plantain, shea tree barks, and cocoa pods contains antibacterial and soothing properties.
This homeopathic ingredient along with oats extract gently sloughs-off the dandruff-creating bacteria on your oily scalp.
They balance the moisture and sebum level on the scalp and heal its itchiness, flakes, and scaling.
The tamarind extract and salicylic acid ensure scalp exfoliation that replaces the dead cells with energetic cells. It controls excess hair fall and promotes the growth of new hair with a healthy shine!
From the view of moisturization, botanical extracts such as jojoba oil, argan oil, willow bark, tea tree oil, aloe vera, and others provide the optimum hydrated results on your curls.
They make the shafts extremely soft and smooth and prevent breakages. These organic ingredients also boast-in the essential nutrients to the locks and provide rejuvenated mien!
Highlighted Features of SheaMoisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Shampoo
- Formulated with hair-caring, organic ingredients with no harsh chemicals.
- Highly balance the scalp and removes dandruff-related problems.
- Soothes and calms the scalp against irritations and itchiness.
- Highly moisturize the locks with natural extracts.
- Unique dandruff-treating shampoo for African hair.
- Stops excess hair fall and stimulates hair growth.
- Boast-in essential vitamins and nutrients to the locks.
6. Selsun Blue Moisturizing Dandruff Shampoo with Aloe
Transform your dull and overly-curl hair into mesmerizing, eye-catching locks with Selsun Blue Moisturizing Dandruff Shampoo with Aloe!
This product is listed among the anti-dandruff shampoos because of its unique anti-bacterial and moisturizing benefits that best suit African American hair.
It contains Selenium Sulfide as an active ingredient that is rich in antibacterial benefits. This ingredient intensively treats the dryness of afro-textured hair and eradicates the dandruff-creating bacteria.
It soothes and calms the itchy, flaky and irritated scalp and provides a fresh and rejuvenated feel!
Aloe vera leaf juice along with other moisturizing ingredients further soothe-up the scalp against inflammations.
They make the locks and root highly hydrated and energetic. They transform the dull, lifeless strands into manageable, soft, and radiant locks instantly!
Selsun Blue Moisturizing Dandruff Shampoo with Aloe boasts the hair-strengthening and growing vitamins that prevent hair falls and upgrades the level of growth!
Highlighted Features of Selsun Blue Moisturizing Dandruff Shampoo with Aloe
- Treats and prevents the dandruff-related issues of kinky hair from the root.
- High soothes and pampers the scalp against irritations and itchiness.
- Ensures deep moisturization of the dry and dull root and hair.
- Make the shafts soft and radiant.
- Stops hair damages and stimulate hair growth
7. BIOLAGE Scalpsync Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
BIOLAGE Scalpsync Anti-Dandruff Shampoo is again the best dandruff shampoo for African American hair with extra-ordinary anti-bacterial properties!
This shampoo contains a perfect blend of peppermint extract and Pyrithione Zinc that are rich in anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
They treat and protect the scalp against dandruff and other similar infections. Their soothing feature intensively calm-down the irritations and itchiness and disappear visible flakes of the Black hair.
BIOLAGE Scalpsync Anti-Dandruff Shampoo also puts a stop to scalp and hair dryness that is common among afro-textured hair.
The feature of the bio-cushion complex turns the dull, tangled, and unmanageable strands into feathery-soft, ultra-smooth and radiant tresses.
Highlighted Features of BIOLAGE Scalpsync Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- The blend of peppermint oil and Pyrithione Zinc keeps dandruff creating bacteria out and leads to a healthy and rejuvenated scalp.
- Highly soothes and calms dandruff itchiness and inflammations.
- Obliterates the appearance of flakes and dullness.
- Contains bio-cushion complex to furnish soft and shiny radiance on the curls.
8. Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-dandruff Shampoo
Here comes the next best shampoo packed with a whole lot of hair-strengthening ingredients for kinky hair with Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-dandruff Shampoo!
The presence of salicylic acid makes this shampoo suited for African American hair. It does scalp exfoliation that zap-out the dead scalp cells and excess sebum.
It keeps dandruff-related issues out and maintains an energetic and rejuvenated scalp.
This shampoo contains the Oribe signature complex which is made of Watermelon, Lychee, and Edelweiss Flower Extracts.
This complex maintains the texture and strength of the shafts against photodamages and other external hair-damaging factors.
It maintains the keratin level of the cells that make your kinky and overly-curly tresses strong and healthy.
Bilberry fruit and maple extracts protect the scalp against free radicles and pamper it against dandruff inflammations, itchiness, and flakiness.
The inclusion of pea sprout extract and caffeine improves the strength and elasticity of the shafts.
They prevent all hair fall issues related to black hair and stimulate the growth of new, shiny locks.
For the deep-moisturization and balanced hydration of your afro-textured hair, the ingredients of sugarcane extract, orange, and lemon extracts are added-up.
They make the mane look soft and shiny instead of dry and dull throughout the day!
The usage of Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-dandruff Shampoo can produce a promising result for African American hair, even if you have hued it!
Highlighted Features of Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-dandruff Shampoo
- Locks-in multiple benefits to the scalp and shafts.
- Does scalp exfoliation and obliterate the issues of dandruff.
- Soothes and calms the scalp.
- Boast-in the essential nutrients and make the locks strong and healthy.
- Prevent hair fall and breakage issues and stimulates the growth of new hair.
- Nourish and hydrate the hair follicles and tresses.
- Provide the look of shine, soft and gorgeous radiant to the mane.
9. MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo
No matter if your kinky hair is over-curly, intensively-damaged, or color-treated! MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo can furnish the best hair-treating results with in-depth conditioning and moisturizing benefits!
Salicylic acid and other anti-bacterial ingredients exfoliate and relieve the scalp against dandruff-related issues.
They make the scalp and hair follicles extremely clean with a fresh and rejuvenated feel that makes this shampoo suited for your black hair.
They also calm the scalp irritations and effectively remove the appearance of flakiness.
The presence of olive oil, coconut oil, marula oil, and others takes responsible for boast-in the essential nutrients and vitamins to your scalp and locks.
They intensively condition and hydrate them and obliterate the breakage problems of afro-textured hair.
With the hair-stimulating features of botanical ingredients, it promotes the growth of new healthy shafts that make your already bouncy hair more bouncy and attractive!
MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo maintains the curls and texture of the tresses and is free from parabens and other harsh chemicals.
Highlighted Features of MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo
- Exfoliates scalp to make it free from dandruff and other infections.
- Keeps the scalp and tresses healthy and energetic.
- Locks-in the essential nutrients to the strands to protect them against external damages.
- Actively conditions and hydrates the tresses and makes them soft, smooth, and feathery.
- Prevents hair fall and stimulates hair growth.
- Ensures promising results on all hair types including colored types.
10. ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo Kit
ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo Kit enables you to indulge your curly and dry locks with the benefits of castor oil and other botanical extracts!
This kit contains a deep-cleansing shampoo along with a hair-nourishing moisturizer that provides promising results on African American hair.
The shampoo eradicates the clumpy scalp build-ups that create dandruff and other issues.
It maintains the pH level of your curls and makes the scalp healthy, fresh, clean, and energetic. Its soothing feature relaxes the root against itchiness and irritations.
The inclusion of castor oil provides all-round benefits to black hair. It kills the dandruff-creating bacteria and maintains a balanced hydration level.
It strengthens the hair follicles and promotes the growth of new shafts.
Aloe leaf extract, rosehip oil, and carrot oil in the shampoo ensure the soothing and conditioning benefits for kinky hair. They leave the hair soft, smooth, and strong and remove the signs of flakiness.
The conditioner is again benefitted with remarkable hair-nourishing ingredients for afro-textured, rough hair.
Coconut oil, nettle extract, and thyme extract hydrate, strengthen and nourish the hair for improved look and softness.
They prevent the creation of split ends and breakages and promote blood circulation on the scalp for hair growth.
For the African American hair that naturally tends to be curly and dry, ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo Kit could be the best solution!
Highlighted Features of ArtNaturals Black Castor Oil Shampoo Kit
- Alleviates the issues of scalp infections and dandruff from the root.
- Inclusion of castor oil provides all-round benefits to the scalp and strands.
- Prevents the creation of hair breakages and stimulates the growth of new hair.
- Locks-in the essential nutrients and vitamins with the botanical extracts.
- Ensures intense hydration benefit.
11. Maple Holistics Tea Tree Special Formula Shampoo
Strengthen-up your scalp and locks with nutrient-rich shampoo of Maple Holistics Tea Tree Special Formula Shampoo!
This product is featured with a list of purely natural ingredients that locks-in the essential benefits to your curls.
Tea tree oil is the highlighted ingredient of this product that makes this product suited for kinky hair.
t keeps all the scalp toxins and infections at bay and puts a great dot to all the dandruff-related issues.
It improves the blood circulation on the hair follicles that strengthen the root and prevents hair breakage. It also stimulates the growth of new hair.
The presence of essential oils including jojoba oil and tea tree oil is mainly responsible for combating the hair dryness issue.
These natural oils intensively hydrate African American hair and make them soft, smooth, and energetic.
This shampoo locks-in the essential hair-treating nutrients and vitamins and makes the locks strong. You can no longer be worried about split-ends or tangled curls!
Highlighted Features of Maple Holistics Tea Tree Special Formula Shampoo
- Provides the complete benefits of 100% natural tea tree oil to your black hair.
- Keep the hair-weakening bacteria and fungi at bay.
- Eradicates the issues of dandruff and soothes the scalp irritations with its gentle ingredients.
- Ensures deep-moisturization benefit.
- Improves blood circulation and stimulates the growth of new shafts.
- Prevents hair damages and split-ends due to external factors
12. The SIMPL Essentials Stem Cell Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
The SIMPL Essentials Stem Cell Anti-Dandruff Shampoo is again a great shampoo for black hair that provides intense dandruff-eliminating and tresses-nourishing benefits!
It contains active ingredients of Zinc Pyrithione, Peppermint, Tea Tree Oil, and Chamomile that stay highly-suited for treating afro-textured hair.
They are rich in antibacterial properties that target scalp dryness and dandruff-creating toxins and alleviate them from the root.
Their soothing feature relaxes the root follicles against dandruff itchiness and flakiness.
Apart from cleansing, they also have the intense-moisturizing benefit that turns the dry and brittle curls soft, radiant and shiny.
They also improve the blood circulation on the hair follicles that stimulates the growth of new healthy mane.
Highlighted Features of The SIMPL Essentials Stem Cell Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Enriched with multiple antibacterial properties that identify the cause of dandruff for the black hair and eradicate it from the root.
- Hydrates, soothes, and relaxes the hair follicles against dandruff inflammations and flakiness.
- Locks-in intense moisturization on the tresses and make them soft and smooth.
- Promotes the growth of new hair.
- Eradicates the issues of split-ends and breakages.
Editor’s Pick : The best dandruff shampoo for african american hair
- Do away with loose dandruff flakes once and for all. This gentle treatment cleanser, formulated with salicylic acid, removes excess oil and promotes a balanced scalp. The result: healthy, hydrated hair.
- Dermatologist-tested. Formulated without parabens, sulfates or sodium chloride. Color and keratin treatment safe.
- Lather, indulge, rinse.
Though all the above-listed shampoos are best and multi-beneficial, we’ve picked Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-dandruff Shampoo to be the best of bests for black hair!
This dandruff shampoo is packed with whole-lot natural extracts that not only focus on the dandruff issue but ensures the overall health and strength of your curls.
It actively combats scalp dryness and dandruff creating bacteria and make the hair follicles richly hydrated and energized.
It plays a unique role in balancing the moisture content of your afro-textured hair. It also improves the elasticity of the strands and prevents the chances of hair breakages and split ends.
Its hair-stimulating feature promotes the growth of new and energized tresses. It shall also be used on colored hair types.
Thus, it tends to play a unique role in African American hair in boasting ravishing shafts with eye-catching glamor.
Dandruff is the great enemy for all hair types that make the scalp and tresses look abnormally dull, pale, and lifeless. It creates flakiness and hair falls that tend to be the next great impact. African American hair is more prone to dandruff and the use of specialized dandruff shampoo is the must to maintain the strength and texture of its bounciness ever.
All of the above-mentioned shampoos actively combat all the issues of black hair. They tend to be intense cleaning products that always leave the strands and scalp fresh and clean. They also have rich-hydrating benefits that you no longer need to worry about dry and tangled curls. Now, just consider the product-selection criteria and select your shampoo among them to enjoy head-turning, gorgeous locks!