God bless the person who came up with the idea of a curl cream! Blessing in disguise, these curl-defining creams are a staple for any curly-haired person – and if it is not, then it should be!
The product shouldn’t compromise your natural curl pattern, so choosing between a gel and a cream becomes a bit hard. Curls tend to be on their worst behavior on the most important days of our lives. Imagine if there was nothing to tame them down? Nobody could have saved us from the embarrassment.
Curl defining creams come to the rescue when your curls are not on the same track as your outgoing plans. What be the perfect idea of curl heaven? Let us find out.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a curl defining cream?
- 2 Top 3 Best Curl Defining Creams : Comparison
- 3 Top 12 Best curl-defining creams : Review
- 3.1 1. John Frieda Frizz-Ease Straight Fix Styling Cream 5 Ounce
- 3.2 2. ISO Bouncy Crème Curl Texturizer, 8.3-Ounce
- 3.3 3. Miss Jessie’s Multicultural Curls, 8.5 Ounce
- 3.4 4. TIGI Catwalk Blue Curls Rock Amplifier 3.8 oz
- 3.5 5. Moroccanoil Molding Cream, 3.4 Fl Oz
- 3.6 6. Curly Magic
- 3.7 7. Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard Natural Styling Gel 16 oz
- 3.8 8. Bumble and Bumble Texture Hair Un Dressing Creme 5 oz
- 3.9 9. Carol’s Daughter Curl Styling Bundle
- 3.10 10. Twisted sista Curl Activator Creme 7.5 us fl. Oz
- 3.11 11. Garnier Fructis Style Curl Shape Defining Spray Gel, 8.5 fl. Oz
- 3.12 12. Aveda Be Curly Enhancer, 6.7-Ounce Tube
- 4 Buyer Guide: Critical factors to be considered to select the best curl defining cream
What is a curl defining cream?
Curl Defining Cream is merely a cream that helps in holding the curls in place, keeps them frizz-free and raises questions like “Oh My God, what did you do to your hair?” from everyone.
There are different types of curl defining creams – soufflés, styling creams, smoothies for curls, and puddings. As eatable as they might sound, they contain rich ingredients like shea, jojoba oil, and coconut to moisturize your hair.
The best thing about them is they don’t leave the ‘crunch’ effect when they dry up, unlike other styling gels and mousses. They are a quick remedy for curly hair, which feels a bit frizzy or dry.
Applying a curl defining cream is just like using any other gel: After you wash your hair, divide it into 3-4 sections. Take some product on your palm and gently apply it in all parts on wet hair. Apply it all over the hair, from the roots to the ends and let it dry naturally. Tada! Get ready to see frizz-free natural curls!
Top 3 Best Curl Defining Creams : Comparison
If you are in hurry, we brought you the comparison of top 3 curl defining creams below, check it out!
Top 12 Best curl-defining creams : Review
1. John Frieda Frizz-Ease Straight Fix Styling Cream 5 Ounce
John Frieda Frizz-Ease Straight Fix Styling Cream is the ideal choice for curls for someone with colored hair. This curl defining cream gives you perfect curls and also protects your hair from any damage for 24 hours.
- Nourishes and makes hair strands smooth
- Protects from hair damage
- Gives all-day silky hair look
2. ISO Bouncy Crème Curl Texturizer, 8.3-Ounce
Iso bounce crème curl texturizer just like the company tagline says lets you have healthy curly hair that gives you joy. Its cream-based formula revives your hair and gives your ever-glowing smooth hair. If you want curly, bouncy and moisturized hair all at once, then this curl defining cream is the one for you.
- Gives separated and well-defined curls
- Makes hair healthy and strong
- Revives shine and smoothness
3. Miss Jessie’s Multicultural Curls, 8.5 Ounce
Miss Jessie’s multicultural curls cream will give your frizzy hair the beautiful, vibrant, and defined curls that they have been devoid of. If you are a multicultural person, then your search ends here. This curl defining cream is specially made for differently textured hair of people who come from multiple ethnicity and gives your hair the perfect balance.
- Gives uniform and moisturized hair
- Frizz-free hair styling
- Gives super soft curls
4. TIGI Catwalk Blue Curls Rock Amplifier 3.8 oz
Curl defining cream by TIGI Catwalk defines and separates curls, enhances the texture of the hair by streamlining the natural waves. This curl rock amplifier protects your hair from frizz and humidity and gives softer curls.
- Natural shine to hair
- Defines curls
- No frizz
- Protects from humidity
5. Moroccanoil Molding Cream, 3.4 Fl Oz
Morroccanoil Molding Cream is one of the best pliable working curl-defining creams out there. Enriched with fibers, they thicken your roots, textured styles, and structure the look.
They give a semi, matte finish to the overall hairstyle.
- Argan oil-infused for hydration
- Creates natural-looking texture
- Flexible hold
6. Curly Magic
It’s time to flex your super cute curls with Curly Magic’s curl Defining cream. Its aloe-based formula helps in firmly holding the curls in place. The moisturizer helps prevent dryness and gives definition. This product delivers – tames frizz, elongates curls and moisturizes hair – all at the same time.
- Natural fragrance
- Used in wet hair
- Fights frizz
- Lasting curl definition
7. Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard Natural Styling Gel 16 oz
Curling Custard’s curl defining cream provides moisture and defines the curls, excellently holding the brilliant shiny hair. This high-performance product is enriched with all the natural ingredients and will not alter the natural texture of your curly hair.
- No grease
- Long-lasting hold
- Natural waves
8. Bumble and Bumble Texture Hair Un Dressing Creme 5 oz
Bumble’s curl defining cream, made from polyacrylate cross polymer, which is a polymer styling hair to hold the hair together, is packed with silica, which absorbs oil and moisture with weightlessness. Enriched with tons of anti-oxidants, this is a go-to curl cream for people looking for a frizz-free, damage-free, and a shiny look for their gorgeous curls.
- Gives shine and prevents frizz
- It makes hair mussed sexily
9. Carol’s Daughter Curl Styling Bundle
For a good amount of years, Mimosa curl-defining creams have been the go-to cream for styling for every hairdresser. It’s a delight for the hair because it smells damn good, and it’s full of nourishing ingredients like Nettles & Extract of the sage leaf, which soften the hair and give them strength at the same time.
This citrus-smelling shine curl defining cream is an all-in-one miracle for stylists as it moisturizes your scalp, controls frizz, and smoothens the edges.
- Parabens free
- No Mineral Oil
- No Artificial Colors
- Free of Petroleum
10. Twisted sista Curl Activator Creme 7.5 us fl. Oz
A curl defining cream which styles and holds the hair in place, Shapes and delivers a hell lot of volume to your curls. It makes them bounce and define the curl. It’s a great way to put life back into limp and saggy curls with the goodness of coconut oil (for moisture) avocado paste (for curl strength) and almond oils (protein and gloss)
- Suitable for thicker curls
- Eliminates frizz
- Adds bounce
- Defines curls
11. Garnier Fructis Style Curl Shape Defining Spray Gel, 8.5 fl. Oz
This Garnier Fructis’s Curl Defining Cream is a styler for curly hair made for hair ranging from fine to normal and is made up of 98% naturally found ingredients. Its’ 98% biodegradable formula makes it unique and a must-buy for all curly heads out there.
- No sulfates,
- No silicones and parabens
- No artificial colorants
12. Aveda Be Curly Enhancer, 6.7-Ounce Tube
Wheat protein blend formula in this curl defining cream retracts when applied on wet hair and locks the hair in place as soon as it dries. Curl definition up to 57%, this one dramatically fights frizz, intensifies the curls, and increases glossiness manifold.
- Aids volume
- Works on baby hair too
Buyer Guide: Critical factors to be considered to select the best curl defining cream
A few components are essential to be considered before you are buying your curl defining cream. It has to be hydrating, has to add bounce to the hair, and holds your curls together. There is density, porosity, and curl diameter to take care of. Some of the factors you need to keep in mind are:
- Oil : The problem with oil on the scalp is it’s too much for people who have sleek hair, and it’s too little for people having curly hair. Because of too many twists and turns, Sebum (natural oil) doesn’t reach the end of the locks, and thus curly hair tends to be dry. Look for a curl defining cream that can provide adequate moisture to your curls.
- Frizz : Where there is humidity, there is frizz. Curly headed people know the struggle and immediately go for hair products, which gives less frizz. So obviously, the curl cream has to be free of frizz.
- Breakage : The shape of the curl is such that it breaks a lot. Choose a styling curl defining cream such that it smoothens out the kinks, defines it, and helps prevent breakage of hair.
- Volume : You need to identify your hair type – if they are fine, coarse, or something in between? Curly heads have a lot of unnecessary volumes but they lack bounce and a sense of the definition. After the frizz is eliminated, bounce works like magic on curly hair. A perfect curl defining cream would be, which adds the right amount of volume and bounce to it.
- Other factors : With all the other things, you should also look for natural ingredients as chemicals only lead to more damage.
When styling with a curl defining cream, go with the flow. It’s best to follow the natural pattern of your curls, from the roots till the ends of it. Avoid using other hair products after you use the curl cream so that it doesn’t frizz up.
The use of dryers is prohibited, and air drying is preferred. You can use a diffuser to speed up the process of drying, but not too much.
DO NOT RUSH. Give time to your curls to settle. When it comes to hair-styling and hair care, patience is the key, my friend. Go, give your curls the spotlight they deserve!